Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreetings from Sweden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from Sweden
    Posted: November 15 2014 at 07:33
Hello everyone, and greetings from the cold, dark north (actually mostly cold and wet this time of the year).

I'm a long-time prog lover, and I have lost count of how many new bands I've discovered through this site. I enjoy music of almost any genre (as I suspect many of you do too); from jazz and folk to metal (I live in Gothenburg after all), but I've always considered the adventurous nature of progressive rock to be what I really love about music. Out of the obvious prog giants I keep Rush, Yes and Jethro Tull especially close to the heart. I also enjoy heavier acts like Opeth and Dream Theater (Pale Communion is probably my favourite album of the year), as well as bands like The Flower Kings, Karmakanic and IQ.

Now, for my main reason to finally become a more active member in this community: I have recently released my debut album, and it would be an honour for me to have it included in the Archives. If you want to have a listen (and I hope you do), the album can be found on Bandcamp:
https://infinite-light.bandcamp.com

I will make a post in the 'suggest new bands and artists' subforum, but I wanted to say hi first!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 07:48
Welcome to he forum!!!

I do have to ask, I have a strong curiosity about it.

Normally you might get asked your favorite prog group as a newbie, but who really cares about that. We want to know the important  things! LOL

What we really want to know is.... what is your favorite kind of Swedish Pizza!  Trying one is on the short list of things I want to do before I die.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Infinite Light View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 08:02
My favourite pizza (as well as the most popular pizza in Sweden, from what I've heard) is the kebab pizza. In fact, kebab pizza is so popular here it might as well be considered our national dish (it's better than surströmming in any case)! But you can get almost anything on your pizza here.

Here I was worried you would ask me about the local music scene or something like that, but I'm glad you went straight for the important stuff.

Edited by Infinite Light - November 15 2014 at 08:06
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 10:02
Thumbs Up  can't talk music on an empty stomach dude. Speaking of, I was just told to get my ass off the computer and get ready to go. Pizza calls!

I'll be taking a listen to what you did later. Both my wife and I are huge fans of the highly creative Swedish scene. Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 18:51
Hi there fellow Gothenburger (my hometown).
Just back from an Opeth gig at Münchenbryggeriet here in Stockholm. Great band indeed. Thumbs Up
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2014 at 19:14

Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 07:40
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

Just back from an Opeth gig at Münchenbryggeriet here in Stockholm. Great band indeed. Thumbs Up

Yeah, I'm waiting for them to come back to Gothenburg. I love their old stuff as well, but I'm even more exited about the direction they seem to be heading now.

Did they play any of their heavier stuff in Stockholm? Is Mikael growling again?
Check out my music at https://infinite-light.bandcamp.com
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 08:33
Yes, they mainly played what Micke called their "old sh*t". Lots of growling I'm afraid. I'm only into the new "sh*t" so I was a bit disappointed. LOL  But the band is so tight and imposing it was quite a treat nevertheless.
Dearg Doom View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 11:17
I'm new to this forum, but I thought I'd just quickly say what I though of your music that you posted a link to. Overall I actually quite enjoyed the instrumentation in "The Science of Movement", I admit I only listened to it briefly but I'd like to give you a bit of what I hope to be constructive criticism Smile. Now, down to brass tacks, the production quality on this track was surprisingly good for what I assume to be a home recording, there was a solid progression and I quite liked how the bass was not smothered by over production which can often happen. The only negative thing I could really fairly say is the vocal work. Perhaps because it is that you are not singing in your native tongue but it really wasn't up to scratch with the rest of the song and in my opinion kind of dragged it down. If you can improve your vocal work I believe you could create something worthwhile. I'd like to reiterate, I only briefly listened to one song and perhaps the rest are different but this is what I have concluded from my admittedly quick listen.
Anyway thats my two cents, and welcome to the forum Wink
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 13:48
Welcome, and i will be checking out your music. Thumbs Up
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2014 at 15:16
Dearg Doom, thanks for the feedback. The album is indeed home-recorded, and I must say I'm quite pleased with how the production turned out. I guess a large part of it is down to just listening to the songs over and over again and slowly ironing out a good mix. I'm glad you like the sound of the bass; along with the drums it's my main instrument and I think that on many albums the bass is smothered in the mix, especially in heavier music (a certain well-known prog metal band comes to mind). If you only listened to the title track you managed to avoid the more adventurous bass parts though. I am aware that the vocals are probably the weakest part of the record. I consider my vocal abilities a fair bit below my abilities with the other instruments on the record, and I'm happy for all the feedback I can get. The other tracks on the record have a lot more instrumental passages in them, if you want to give the album another shot.
Now go make your own introductory thread so I can welcome you to the forum! Tongue
Check out my music at https://infinite-light.bandcamp.com
 Post Reply Post Reply