Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRushFan4's New CD Thread 13- Seven Impale

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: RushFan4's New CD Thread 13- Seven Impale
    Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:40
Time for thread number lucky 13 of my meager attempt to divert Forum attention away from the usual suspects of Genesis, Yes, Porcupine Tree and the like.  This one has free listening available so hopefully it will gain some traction.  This time I would like to share the newer, lesser known prog music band Seven Impale with the PA community. 

Seven Impale City Of The Sun album cover
Here is a link to the album's PA page.  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=45981

Seven Impale is an eclectic prog band from Norway.  They are a six-member band that mix jazz and rock with Meshuggah and Tool and should appeal to a wide variety of prog fans.  Those that like saxophone added to their rock music should be especially excited by this release. They released their debut album City Of The Sun in 2014. 

The album can be streamed for free on Spotify, and if I did this right, here is the link. Seven Impale

There are currently 2 reviews and another 60 ratings without reviews, so some of you have heard this album, and will hopefully participate in this thread to discuss your likes and dislikes regarding this album.  If you haven't heard this album please click on the above Spotify link and give it a shot that stop by and let us know what you think.  I look forward to what I hope will be an interesting discussion.

In case you are interested, and missed the previous 12 installments of the new CD discussion thread, please check them out here at these links as I am more that happy to go back to these threads and further discuss them with anyone who is interested.  Pretty sure that many of them or locked from inactivity, but I am sure that our friendly neighborhood admins would be happy to unlock them for anyone who wishes to discuss an album further. Big smile

Knifeworld - Buried Alone: Tales of Crushing Defeat -  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=62529&PID=3457937#3457937

I should note that for those who frown about these things, I am not a representative of any of these bands.  I do not get paid to endorse them.  The Seven Impale album came to my attention through a discussion in the forums and I enjoyed what I heard.  Obviously, I can't guarantee that anyone else will like these albums since it is all a matter of taste, but I have a feeling that there are some of you out there who will. LOL 

I should also mention that although I am a Collaborator here at PA, this thread and recommendation is made entirely independently of my duties as a PA collaborator.

To maybe make it easier, here are the songs from You Tube for you to check out.

Edited by rushfan4 - December 08 2014 at 05:31
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:44
One of my albums of the year so far, with the right balance of energy, eclecticism and originality, accompanied by brilliant musicianship and a touch of wacky humour. It is a pity I don't have a lot of time left for reviewing, as I'd really love to write about these guys. Hope they get invited to some prog fest in the US in the future!
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 16:45
Ah yes, wonderful album. One of my top three for the year. Beautiful. Thumbs Up

"God Left Us For A Black Dressed Woman" has to be tied for track of the year with the title track to Necromonkey's A Glimpse of Possible Endings
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 17:30
Listened to some of it and I like a lot of it. Unfortunately the vocals are a bit ineffectual to me, but I like them better than a lot of vocals I've heard on prog albums this year.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2014 at 23:04
Good album, probably my favourite album in a classic prog style this year aside from IQ. Doesn't quite break through to great, but very enjoyable.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 17:22
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

One of my albums of the year so far, with the right balance of energy, eclecticism and originality, accompanied by brilliant musicianship and a touch of wacky humour. It is a pity I don't have a lot of time left for reviewing, as I'd really love to write about these guys. Hope they get invited to some prog fest in the US in the future!
I would have liked to start reviewing on a regular basis, but just can't seem to find a consistent desire to do so; hence these threads, which give me a chance to discuss newer albums that I enjoy and also give me motivation to listen to these particular albums on a more consistent basis.  The more listens, the better one gets to know an album.

Edited by rushfan4 - December 07 2014 at 17:24
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 18:00
Listened to the first two videos (the next two doesn't work, at least not anymore, and the last one's the same as the first one), and I liked what I heard. This goes on my wish list, just in time for Christmas. Wink

Thanks, Scott. Thumbs Up

Edited by The Bearded Bard - December 07 2014 at 18:02
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 05:33
Thanks.  I fixed the first video to put the first song in.  Not sure how I did that.  The middle two songs work for me, so I'm not certain why they didn't work for you.  Can anybody else access them?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 05:44
Between this thread and Drew's review (BrufordFreak), there's enough for me to go order the album. I don't want to listen to too much of the music before it lands on my doorstep though. Always nice with a little surprise.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 05:48
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Listened to the first two videos (the next two doesn't work, at least not anymore, and the last one's the same as the first one), and I liked what I heard. This goes on my wish list, just in time for Christmas. Wink

Thanks, Scott. Thumbs Up

I would've thought you knew about them Audun - they are after all from your backyard. 
Then again seems like Norway is on form of Prog epo at the moment, so maybe it isn't that far fetched that the occasional new artist slips under your radar.

Could you please send some of that epo to Denmark btw?

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 08 2014 at 05:49
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 05:51
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Thanks.  I fixed the first video to put the first song in.  Not sure how I did that.  The middle two songs work for me, so I'm not certain why they didn't work for you.  Can anybody else access them?

I can, but I haven't listened in fullSmile

- Douglas Adams
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2014 at 12:27
Thanks for checking David.  And since you mentioned BrufordFreak's review, I have reproduced it here for others reading pleasure.  I hope that he doesn't mind.

5 stars An impressive album of refreshingly unique music that crosses many sub genres, including space-psychedelia, symphonic, heavy prog, avant-jazz and experimental/post metal. Wonderful vocals, very tight interplay among all band members with no one member or instrument really standing above any other--though the presence and performance of the saxophone is highly notable. This is complex music played so tightly. And the astonishing 14- minute epic, "God Left Us for A Black Dressed Woman," must be heard to be believed.

1. "Oh My Gravity" (9:49) starts as a jazzy stop-and-start piece that picks up in intensity in the second minute before shifting to a melodic ballad in the vein of the heavier side of FROGG CAFÉ. The male vocalist sounds to me like something between RADIOHEAD's THOM YORKE and TODD RUNDGREN. Around the six minute mark the spiraling, swooning music sounds a lot like some of the louder stuff from MOTORPSYCHO's The Death Defying Unicorn. This feel continues into the seventh minute when organ and horns take turns embellishing the staccato music. The bare-bones, bluesy final 45 seconds is bizarre but so cool! A powerful and surprising opener to this unusual album. Very high marks for compositional prowess and instrumental performance. (9/10)

2. "Wind Shears" (6:32) opens in a very psychedelia/spacey 1960s way. Then at the one minute mark it settles into a jazz groove with first sax and then jazzy guitar and Hammond organ filling the lanes over the rhythm section. Clavinet is added for a GentleGiant-like bridge before a polyrhythmic KING CRIMSON "Discipline"-like weave appears to support a brief ghost-like vocal. At 3:20 the sound gets much heavier over the same arpeggiated weave, nearly drowning out the still-soloing sax and organ. This is just like TOBY DRIVER (Kayo Dot/Maudlin of the Well)! At 4:05 things get quiet and sparse again, with the music vacillating from soft and delicate to heavy and abrasive. A very melodic kind of psychedelic big band section plays out for the final minute. Again, bizarre but so cool! (9/10)

3. "Eschaton Hero" (8:29) opens with some guitar, keys & sax riffs repeated over latin percussion. At 1:00 everything settles down into another quiet section with a delicate vocal in Stian Řkland's upper register. Beautiful chorus/bridge at 1:47 gives way to an unpretentious bass solo before settling back into the delicate vocal music. Same awesome bridge at 2:49 leads into a heavy section into jazzy chaos--all performed over the most simple, calm drum play. At 4:52 it gets even heavier as it plods along for a minute in support of a fuzz guitar solo. Finally the drums start to play--to match the frenzy of the rest of the band--then everything stops so the band can yell "Yay!" Then a variation on the previous frenzy picks back up until 7:05 when everything settles back down into the soft groove of the initial vocal section for a dirty sax solo before letting Stian finish the song out in his high voice. Well conceived and performed, just not my favorite. (7/10)

4. "Extraction" (6:34) begins with another odd intro of two or three parts before settling into the vocal support section--which begins heavily before falling into another RADIOHEAD-like bluesy section. At 2:20 a neat Hammond section leads back into the heavy full band section that opened the vocals, then, again, drops off for the beautiful support of a multi-voice- supported section. At 3:45 a very smooth, stripped down electric guitar solos, until there is a full return to explosiveness at 4:20. A bouncy "O Yo Como Va"-like Hammond section at 4:40 gives way to a kind of Latin weave before falling back into the heavier rock weave from the first vocal section to end. (8/10)

5. "God Left Us for A Black Dressed Woman" (14:12) opens with another KC "Discipline"-like weave that morphs and flows, polymorphs and grooves for two and a half minutes before decaying into a simplified form for a bluesy ROBERT PLANT-like vocal section. This song's amazing vocal performance could also be compared to some of the finest MATTHEW PARMENTER/DISCIPLINE works. Some incredibly powerful sections in this song--especially the multi-voice vocals in the eleventh minute and the following heavy full-band part. A very DISCIPLINE-like soft section then ensues with a slow build to an awesome crescendo and frizzed finish. The song evolves, shifts, twists and turns and surprises throughout. Again there are several parts that remind me of MOTORPSYCHO's Unicorn. Without question this is one of the best prog "epics" of the year! (10/10)

Aside from the above references to Motorpsycho, King Crimson, Radiohead, Toby Driver, Matthew Parmenter/Discipline, the overall impression this album leaves me with is similar to that of DIAGONAL's eponymously titled debut album from 2008. SEVEN IMPALE's City of the Sun is a wonderful collection of masterfully composed, executed and recorded songs.

A 4.5 star album that I can't see giving anything less than five in that it is a treasure for the ages!

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=1266621

The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 18:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Thanks, Scott. Thumbs Up
I would've thought you knew about them Audun - they are after all from your backyard. 
Then again seems like Norway is on form of Prog epo at the moment, so maybe it isn't that far fetched that the occasional new artist slips under your radar.

Could you please send some of that epo to Denmark btw?
I've been into a lot of fusion the last year or so, David, so this one has slipped under my radar, until now.
And when I started noticing the praise it got, it took me some time to be convinced to check it out, as the cover made me think it was a neo-prog band, disguised as something else, although The Windmill, with their "The Continuation" album from last year, showed that doesn't necessarily need to be bad. Same as you though, I haven't listened to more than snippets, prefering not to hear too much of it before I put it in my CD player, so who knows, perhaps it is a neo-prog band in disguise? Wink LOL
Btw, Scott, only the last video works for me now. Hopefully it's just on my end.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - December 17 2014 at 04:54
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:30
Really dig this album. Trying to decide if it will beat Pale Communion on my colab album of the year vote. Not sure yet.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:42
Love this album.  Incredibly strong debut, looking forward to hearing what else these guys can do in years to come.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2014 at 23:16
Another good recommendation that fails to get past the first page.  Oh well, I am glad that a few people gave it a listen and that there are others out there who enjoy it.  I really love the heavy sound of this album with the added addition of the horns.  It may not necessarily be a unique sound but it is certainly a path less travelled within the prog metal scene, which is probably why it is classified as Eclectic.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2014 at 02:42
It's only a recent discovery of mine, what an awesome album! Will definitely end up in my top 5.
barney63 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 15:00
I'll resurrect this thread by saying this is a really fantastic album and well worth a listen to the curious listener who likes metal and jazz and classic mellotron-drenched prog, with some lovely playing, great analogue sounds, smoky sax and crushing riffs.  Bears multi-repeated listening and reveals more wild and sensitive flourishes each time.    It's not quite like anything else  I've heard which is contemporaneous but wouldn't look out of place at a party alongside 'new' Opeth, Kaukusus, and Anekdoten and the jazzier bits of Steven Wilson's Grace and Raven releases laced with a hint of The Birthday Party and even Meshuggah but without the latter's (for me) tiring monotony. Marvellous. 
 Post Reply Post Reply