Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best SF film 2014: Snowpiercer v Under the Skin
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest SF film 2014: Snowpiercer v Under the Skin

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What was your favorite sci-fi movie of 2014?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [25.00%]
1 [25.00%]
2 [50.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best SF film 2014: Snowpiercer v Under the Skin
    Posted: December 13 2014 at 20:39
One of the Guardian film critics named "Under the Skin" the best film of the year. I enjoyed the movie, but thought it was quite over-rated. My favorite film this year is also a SF movie, "Snowpiercer." I think it's my favorite SF film since "Children of Men" a few years back.

What's your favorite SF film of 2014?

Edited by jude111 - December 13 2014 at 20:41
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 20:54
Being the only sci-fi movie I've seen this year, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes wins by default, which I liked pretty well.
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2014 at 22:57
Didn't see either of the films in this poll but I'd imagine the winner should one of the two I did see: either Interstellar or Guardians of the Galaxy

Edited by manofmystery - December 13 2014 at 22:58

Time always wins.
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 09:37
Originally posted by manofmystery manofmystery wrote:

Didn't see either of the films in this poll but I'd imagine the winner should one of the two I did see: either Interstellar or Guardians of the Galaxy

I haven't seen either of those, but intend to. Totally forgot about them, should have included them in the poll...
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2017 at 00:28
Was just thinking about these films and remembered this poll, which I neglected to vote for before. It actually got me to go see both of these films at the time, and I loved both of them.   There were quite a few SF films I liked from 2013/ 2014, but I would say that these two were particular favourites.

That said, I vote for Under the Skin, which I certainly don't think overrated. It's one of the most visually stunning films that I've seen, found it poignant, moving and creepy, and I like the artiness. Looking at Rotten Tomatoes I see that the general audience liked it much less than the critics (says something like 55 percent of the audience liked it). It isn't a film that would appeal to mainstream audiences so much as it is quite a slow-moving arthouse kind of film. It's the kind of film that I would recommend more to lovers of Tarkovsky's Solaris and Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey than people who are into, say, Star Wars or a lot of action-oriented SF. I loved the imagery of the film, and while it didn't fare well at the box-office, I could see this becoming an enduring cult classic. Snowpiercer also has cult-classic potential (RIP John Hurt).

I think that Under the Skin is one of those films that will be analyzed by many film studies students over the years. I think that it's a true work of art. Love it.

An animated prequel for Snowpiercer that some might find interesting who have seen the film:

Edited by Logan - April 20 2017 at 00:28
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply