Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Psych Rock Lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 16:12
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Tame Impala's new album Currents mixes psych pop with new wave and dance music on this pop concoction. And it's additive! Kevin Parkers high vocals grate after awhile but I dig the wall of synths. It reminds me of Tame Impala mixed with Ultravox and Tears For Fears.

Hmm...don't really hear much psych pop there, but mostly 80's synth dance pop. No new ground being broken there.
I like Ultravox far better than that . Can't say I was ever a fan of Tears For Fears though they did do the nice single now and then.
You're correct Doc. I was referring to the album as a whole but had a hard time copying it  and only got this lead off track. And it is a pop confection in every sense of the term.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2015 at 09:45
When it comes to psych pop rock.....one of my favorites who never really gets mentioned enough.
Surreal as it gets with great melodies. (Saw him 3 times in the old days in Chicago.)

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2015 at 12:26
^Good pick Doc. An oldie but goodie.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 13:41
No synth pop here, Doc.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 14:43
^ that's definitely psychedelic........ Floydian in many places.
Cool
Haquin
TGArmy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 04:52
Check this band. Heavy psych prog Wink

http://thegrandastoria.bandcamp.com/album/the-mighty-few

If Pink Floyd and The Mars Volta had a baby, and that baby grew up listening to heavy metal and punk, and then formed a rock band, that band would be The Grand Astoria​. Speaking of the Mars Volta, Kamille Sharapodinov reminds me of Omar Rodriguez-Lopez in terms of both his creativity and the frequency with which he produces truly new music. 
If you are really paying attention you will not be able to turn this masterpiece off, and will have to agree that although there is no proper category for this music, it is undeniably heavy. The Grand Astoria has Led-Zeppelin-like importance for me in terms of how they have altered my perspective on heavy music, and I consider them one of the best rock bands of all time. Here is “Curse of the Ninth”, a tribute to the myth that a classical music composer’s ninth symphony would end up being their last - HEAVY METAL TEXTBOOKS BLOGSPOT 

St Petersburg, Russia may not be the first place you think of when considering fuzzed out, psychedelic, prog rock bands but after hearing The Grand Astoria‘s new album, The Mighty Few, it may be the only place you’ll go looking. You may also consider throwing particular genre descriptions to the wind too as although The Grand Astoria cover the descriptors set out above, they also blend in an awful lot more. In fact, if you listen hard enough you may even hear the kitchen sink banging about. 
At two songs long you may also feel a little short-changed but again there’s no need to worry. The album still runs in at little under an hour, which may cause alarm bells for those of a punkier disposition or fear the long haul. This is no exercise in restraint and patience though and these two songs include a sum of parts which would constitute many bands double albums. There are more ideas floating around than in here than in a years worth of White Album’s, and probably much more fun too. 
We’re not going to try and describe the two songs on offer here as that would take away half the fun and amazement. Needless to say you can expect to veer from straight ahead fuzz filled rock to wonky jazz in little under a couple of minutes before shooting off into some crazy acapella vocals bounced around the aforementioned kitchen sink which rattles away keeping an ever steady rhythmic pulse. 

What is perhaps most intriguing is that this is The Grand Astoria’s sixth release and judging from the sheer amount of energy and joy they pump into their music, you can only imagine what drives them in their pursuit of creating something truly original. You could argue that in they are like an over-exciting puppy in their need to please and impress, but that would be casually brushing aside the excellent musicianship throughout this album. That is the product of experience and one that makes you want to hunt down their back catalogue. 
So while the eyes of the world look at Russia for different reasons these days, maybe it’s time we looked to a side which believes in creation. One can imagine that working as a band is somewhat different than in the Western world but one thing remains and that is passion which The Grand Astoria have in bucketloads. The album may be one crazy, mixed up ride and test more conservative minded listeners, but to those with an open mind, their world becomes an appealing invitation. - ECHOES AND DUST 

This might very well be a personal candidate for 2015 album of the year. The Mighty Few is the sixth album from this large scale ensemble from St. Petersburg, Russia. Reviewing this is like describing the indescribable. The album consists of two verrrrry long tracks. The band touches on 70s retro hard rock, psych, metal, prog rock, avant garde jazz - that's within each track. Stylistically they keep shifting and it all melds together very coherently which will become jaw dropping when you hear them pull it off. The band cites Pink Floyd and Mars Volta as influences. Sure but also toss in a ton of other bands like Magma and Weather Report. Instrumentation includes guitars, keys, flute, clarinet, sax, percussion, and drums. Oh yeah - vocals are in english and are great! A total ripper from beginning to end. Buy or die! - LASER CD DISTRO 

Edited by TGArmy - August 18 2015 at 05:07
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:32
^ Listened to The Mighty Few on you tube.....liked it and I'm surprised these guys aren't on PA yet. They sound similar to Motorpsycho in many ways ....excellent blend of styles: stoner rock, prog, some jazz, etc ...quite a bit of interesting things going on here. And two epically long songs on the album.
*Someone should enter then for admission to PA.* ( I have no idea how to do that btw....Embarrassed)

Edited by dr wu23 - August 18 2015 at 09:39
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2015 at 11:37
Don't recall how I bumped into this web site but it's very interesting and has a nice page on obscure psych pop and rock,...

Cool
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 232425