Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi from UK

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from UK
    Posted: December 16 2014 at 17:05
Hi, I'm from the UK, and a professional guitarist. Mostly teaching music but also gigging and some recording. Been into Floyd and other melodic guitar playing for many years. 

I'm not much of a shredder I think this is as close as I got with playing an exam piece for grade 8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDuTeZY8Otg

I also play guitar in a covers band which features The Who. Like listening to Rush, Floyd, and Mike Oldfield. I've released an album which contains some prog rock (as well as a weird mixture of other styles). 

Hope to get to know some of you

Best wishes
Andy

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 17:07
Welcome to the site Andy! Clap

the big burning question we ask of all newbs to the site. Helps us determine who has good tastes or poor.

Who do you like better. ELP or Camel? LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
sikejsudjek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 17:14
I get the feeling I'm not going to win with either answer on that one, but ELP if only because I spend too much time listening to Floyd and Oldfield to get round to listening to Camel :-) Maybe I should give Amarok a rest.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 17:20
Originally posted by sikejsudjek sikejsudjek wrote:

I get the feeling I'm not going to win with either answer on that one, but ELP if only because I spend too much time listening to Floyd and Oldfield to get round to listening to Camel :-) Maybe I should give Amarok a rest.

before you do.  Head over the ELP-Camel battle of the bands poll and vote for ELP.  LOL Clap Make a few friends, especialy me Embarrassed, as well as show your great tastes and confirm your Proggie Man-card for all forum to see.

Welcome to forum!  Great place. A lot of great fun people.  It is a bit of family of sorts.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 17:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Head over the ELP-Camel battle of the bands poll and vote for ELP.  LOL Clap Make a few friends, especialy me Embarrassed, as well as show your great tastes and confirm your Proggie Man-card for all forum to see.

A good place to start exploring ELP is the Love Beach, moving on to the Black Moon Evil Smile
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 17:47
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Head over the ELP-Camel battle of the bands poll and vote for ELP.  LOL Clap Make a few friends, especialy me Embarrassed, as well as show your great tastes and confirm your Proggie Man-card for all forum to see.

A good place to start exploring ELP is the Love Beach, moving on to the Black Moon Evil Smile

LOL  you've got more 'game' than General Hercules I'll say that.  A clappy for you sir!!! Clap
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 21:17
Take it easy on the newbie guys. We don't want to scare him off on his first day! Tongue

Welcome Andy. Always good to have musicians around here. Join in the fun and the good tunes! Clap
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 01:29

Andy Latimer's (Camel) style is quite similar to David Gilmour's, so you might want to get to them sooner rather than later!  Big smile
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 03:36
I'll do some more listening to both before I vote but its probably going to be ELP. I do like the guitar playing on Camel though. 

Has anyone on here listened to Mike Oldfield's Amarok ? (or even heard of it!) 
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:45

I'll do some more listening to both before I vote but its probably going to be ELP. I do like the guitar playing on Camel though. 

Has anyone on here listened to Mike Oldfield's Amarok ? (or even heard of it!) 
Welcome Andy!
I bet most PA members have listened to Amarok and it is a widely loved album here, I for one love it, as I do with much of Oldfield's stuff.
If you stay around you will be blessed with a lot of guidance and cheers from some people who know a lot about Prog. BTW I'm also an amateur guitarist, not a shredder either, liking more playing covers of Floyd, Camel, Marillion etc but also wandering into harder stuff like Rush, Yes or early Queen.

Gerard
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:58
Thanks Gerard, good to hear. Yeah like Rush too, particularly the middle years stuff.  Amarok seems to get better the more times I listen to it. 

I think the trouble with shred is that a) its been done to death b) you could probably train a robot to play it and not notice the difference :-) 
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:09

before you do.  Head over the ELP-Camel battle of the bands poll and vote for ELP.  LOL Clap Make a few friends, especialy me Embarrassed, as well as show your great tastes and confirm your Proggie Man-card for all forum to see.

Welcome to forum!  Great place. A lot of great fun people.  It is a bit of family of sorts.

You do know, Micky, that he can't vote yet!?  And just to remind the newbie that the vote is between ELP and f**king Camel!

But, I can't remember how many posts you have to make before you can vote?  I think its aout 10 if you want to vote for ELP and approx 253 posts if you want to vote for f**king Camel!

(Excuse the language - but I can't help the change of name)Wink
Help me I'm falling!
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:14

OH! And btw WELCOME........WELCOME you ARE WELL COME! 

(Welcome to the self policed parade welcome to the neo golden age Welcome to the days you've made...you are welcome)
Help me I'm falling!
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:53
Hey Andy! Always great to find a guitarist who likes prog Smile 

I bought Amarok about a month ago, and it blew my mind. Totally wasn't expecting the bombardment of so much incredible music. I'll definitely give it another listen tomorrow, I can tell it requires a few listens to get to grips with.

I hope you find the site as useful as I have. You can find dozens of excellent artists and sub-genres you never knew existed, and meet some pretty nice people too.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 14:50
Welcome to PA Andy.

I love Amarok as well, I think it's his best release since Ommadawn.

Speaking about playing Rush, I'm really enjoying playing YYZ lately (amongst other stuff), I love that guitar solo. I'm also not a shredder.
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 16:14
Welcome, ignore Micky
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2014 at 15:20
Yay nice to see a few more people have heard of Amarok. I'm hoping Mike Oldfield is going to get round to a 5.1 mix soon - not sure if he's working on it yet.

Interesting interview here with MO - Amarok is his favorite album too.
http://www.innerviews.org/inner/oldfield.html
 Post Reply Post Reply