Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBauhaus vs. Christian Death

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which do you like better?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [72.73%]
3 [27.27%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bauhaus vs. Christian Death
    Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:39
Bauhaus vs. Christian Death

Bauhaus was goth via black humor and theatrics. With Daniel Ash's ambient guitar work and David J's overpowering bass, they were key figures in the development of goth rock.

Similarly, Christian Death was pioneering deathrock in the states. Ironically named after fashion designer Christian Diore, it is unclear whether CD had a sense of humor or just an extremely eccentric frontman. Regardless, they were also key in the goth and death rock scenes.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 09:44
Is it just me or does Rozz Williams sound like an evil version of Hawkwind's Robert Calvert on that album?
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:41
This one is easy for me, definitely Bauhaus . A really interesting band. I also like some of Peter Murphy's solo songs.

Didn't the singer of Christian Death commit suicide eventually?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 10:44
Yes, after a long struggle with heroin addiction. I think Peter Murphy from Bauhaus has been having similar problems with substance abuse.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 15:47
Never heard Christian Death before just now. Good song but not enough to keep me from voting Bauhaus, a great band that I've listened to frequently since the 80s when they morphed into Love and Rockets, who were also a big favorite of mine. I'm glad you pointed out their humor element; their legacy as a "goth band" often overlooks how eclectic and quirky they could be.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 17:07
Looks like I'm the 1st and only vote for Christian Death Evil Smile  

I always considered them the premier goth band...at least all the albums with Rozz on them.  After some fantastic mid 80's albums he left and others carried on the band but those albums were pretty unremarkable to me.  At the same time, he did some cool stuff with his new band Shadow Project which proved to me that he was really the guiding talent of Christian Death.  He returned in '93 for the albums "The Path of Sorrows" and "The Rage of Angels" which were both great.  
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 20:46
Never heard of either till now, and both have blown me away.

I'll send love CD's way. This deathrock of Rozz's is some moody, groovy stuff. No wonder so many of the first goths loved it and were inspired by it.

As for Bauhaus, of course equally impressed. This sounds like new wave sent through the kind of wringer that gave us Killing Joke and Flipper.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2014 at 21:22
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Never heard Christian Death before just now. Good song but not enough to keep me from voting Bauhaus, a great band that I've listened to frequently since the 80s when they morphed into Love and Rockets, who were also a big favorite of mine. I'm glad you pointed out their humor element; their legacy as a "goth band" often overlooks how eclectic and quirky they could be.
The goth elements were often just their sense of humor itself. The irony in "Bela Lugosi's Dead" is staunch.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 04:06
I think I'm gonna throw in a vote for Christian Death too. Only Theatre of Pain seem to have this Satanic air of degenerate aristocratic evil to it, but in a completely different way from say the average black metal group and being into a lot of that stuff myself that makes me find early CD very interesting.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 11:53
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Never heard of either till now, and both have blown me away.

I'll send love CD's way. This deathrock of Rozz's is some moody, groovy stuff. No wonder so many of the first goths loved it and were inspired by it.

As for Bauhaus, of course equally impressed. This sounds like new wave sent through the kind of wringer that gave us Killing Joke and Flipper.
Bauhaus, and post-punk is very influentual on Soundgarden, who earliest sound is post-punk.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 09:07
Christian Death is cool, but Bauhaus is Bauhaus and get's my vote. 
My Favprite Bauhaus album is 'The Sky's Gone Out', as it gets quite experimental at times but still is chock full of great songs ("Silent Hedges" is to this day my favorite song of theirs).

Here's a stupid story about my first experience with Christian Death. I bought their 'Ashes' double LP back in the 80's as a blind purchase and thought it was one of the strangest, dreariest and borderline most unlistenable albums I had ever heard. Two weeks later I finally realized I was playing the discs at the wrong speed. Turns out they were two 45rpm platters, as I was playing these tunes at 33 1/3rpm. The songs sounded much better after I discovered my stupidity.LOL
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 09:22
^ have you heard early 1986 Soundgarden, very Bauhaus-like

this is Soundgarden before they were grunge, they were post punk '

Post Reply Post Reply