Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi from Spain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi from Spain
    Posted: January 02 2015 at 11:26
How is it going, fellows?

As you might have guessed I'm new to this forums, though I've been using this website since 2007.
The reason I registered is mainly to ask for specific recommendations.

I love prog rock in general, from england old dinosaurs like Genesis, Pink Floyd or Camel, to modern like Beardfish, Phideaux, Birds and Buildings, Pain of Salvation, Devin Townsend, etc, to italian symphonic acts like Museo Rosenbach, Banco del Mutuo Soccorso or Premiata Forneria Marconi, to jazz and avant influenced bands as Orchestra Njervudarov, The Muffins, Picchio dal Pozzo, Steely Dan, to ethnic influenced Egberto Gismonti, Azigza, Triana, etc.

Actually I love most music: radio friendly pop, brutal death metal, classic, latin, electronic, hip hop, etc. I find beauty in almost every genre. The only things I don't like tend to be lo-fi recordings and noise bands.

The type of lyrics I love would be that of Camel's Never Let go, Donald Fagen's I.G.Y or Slough Feg's whole Traveller album.

Have fun!
    Gerinski View Drop Down
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 15:27
    Hola amigo,

I'm Spanish too, living in Belgium for more than 10 years although I'm returning to Barcelona soon. Welcome to PA!

Recommendations... wow, there's so much and you seem to like a bit of everything so you can get bombed from every angle. I'd suggest you start by digging the database, try the "Top Albums" feature, choose some sub-genre you like (and some year if you want) and see what comes out as best rated albums. Read the reviews, it takes time but they can give some good insight, you will soon learn to discern the good reviews from the crappy ones.

Hope that you stay around! Un abrazo!
    Gerinski View Drop Down
    Prog Reviewer
    Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2015 at 15:34
    BTW, if you want I have a small excel file with the top-rated albums of every year from 1965 until now, this represents a list of 1959 albums which are the most loved by PA members in these 50 years of Prog history, it includes the sub-genre info, the release year and the PA rating (only studio albums are included). If you would like to have it just send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.
     Post Reply Post Reply