FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGimmick Bands - that are actually good

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gimmick Bands - that are actually good
    Posted: January 09 2015 at 11:38
I was driving home last night with the ipod blaring on shuffle as always and a Dread Zeppelin song came on (Your Time is Gonna Come) and for the first time I noticed how good it was. All of their songs are good. Really good.

Another gimmick or novelty band I love is The Upper Crust from Boston that sound like ACDC but ..
(i'll use wikipedia's wording:)
" members adopt the personae of 18th century aristocratic fops and sing songs from that perspective. They use titles of nobility, wear powdered wigs and period costumes, and maintain a snobbish attitude both during live performance and on their albums."

Saw them live and they were a riot but the music was solid - if you like that kind of thing - which I do.

I've seen/heard other bands that weren't so hot though ..

cant remember the name but I heard a band that played really heavy fantasy music and altered their voices to sound like elves or something .. for every single song. didn't work for me.

maybe there aren't a lot of these types of bands for a discussion - or are there?

sorry about the blue text - links in wiki .. couldn't change them to black

Edited by Walton Street - January 09 2015 at 11:40
"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 11:54
Well, I think "Weird Al" Yankovic is pretty fantastic. There's a guy who's serious about joking.  Tons of musical talent, too.

The Hanson Brothers (not the "Mmm-Bop" guys) were a Canadian punk rock band that was really NoMeansNo (a long standing and quite complex proggy punk band) in disguise, adopting an "ice hockey meets the Ramones" schtick.   To add to the joke, they dressed up and assumed the characters of the hilarious Hanson brothers in Paul Newman's hockey film "Slap Shot" (1977) - a bunch of violent, mentally unstable hockey players.  The Hanson Brothers would often "open" for NoMeansNo and get the crowd fired up with melodic punk anthems about hockey, junk food and girls.  Their first two albums are really good, though the well was running dry by the third.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 13:24
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

The Hanson Brothers (not the "Mmm-Bop" guys) were a Canadian punk rock band that was really NoMeansNo (a long standing and quite complex proggy punk band) in disguise, adopting an "ice hockey meets the Ramones" schtick.   To add to the joke, they dressed up and assumed the characters of the hilarious Hanson brothers in Paul Newman's hockey film "Slap Shot" (1977) - a bunch of violent, mentally unstable hockey players.  The Hanson Brothers would often "open" for NoMeansNo and get the crowd fired up with melodic punk anthems about hockey, junk food and girls.  Their first two albums are really good, though the well was running dry by the third.

weird that I've never heard of these guys before

- SpongeBob Socrates
zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 18:37
Originally posted by Walton Street Walton Street wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

weird that I've never heard of these guys before

NoMeansNo are always worth a listen.  I highly recommend them, Hanson Brothers or no.

The ultimate "gimmick" band is probably GWAR - wacky art students from Virginia posing as bloodthirsty space aliens.  I admit I hadn't kept up with them after their first two albums, but those first two albums rawked.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 21:05
David Peel and the Lower East Side. The album Have a Marijuana is hilarious. Either that, or The Fugs.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2015 at 21:40
BABYMETAL. Japanese idols singing and dancing to heavy metal in cute costumes? I'm in.
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 03:13
i suppose The Beatles may have seemed a little gimmicky whn they first appeared to american audiences - with matching suits and haircuts

i always got a kick out of the keyboard player in Prince's old band who wore hospital scrubs all the time

- SpongeBob Socrates
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 08:32
My vote goes to the hilariously-named Syphilitic Vaginas, a Swedish black metal/hardcore punk band pretending to be Japanese complete with deliberate broken English in the lyrics and band photos being in blurry greyscale you can't see their ethnicity. Behind that incredibly goofy image hides one of the best bands in either genre I've heard in a long while.

"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 12:21
Gotta mention The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. They are an alternative punkish rock band obssessed with HP Lovecraft, particularly the Mythos stuff. Their first full-length, 'Cthulhu Strikes Back', had tunes like "Goin' Down To Dunwich", "Shoggoths Away" and "Burrow Your Way to my Heart", but my favorite album of theirs is 'The Shadow Out of Tim", which is a concept album retelling Lovecraft's "The Shadow Out Of Time" in a modern setting. If you've read the story, then the album is absolutely hilarious, particularly "Chapter II: Blackout". These guys also often perform in garb inspired by "The Old Ones".Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply