Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat Ingredients do you NEED in your Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 09:05
I'm surprised to see that this thread is still going.......

OK, let's take a different tack.
Imagination and experimentation and top notch musicianship. 
But I don't "need" these "ingredients". Music is not about a selection of "ingredients" brought together to assemble a whole thing. It's about a process of evolutionary thought which results in the communication of an "idea". 

Non musicians, also please remember that you think "music" is "what I've heard on a recording". Sorry to point this out, and I'm not being elitist, but the process of creating and playing music are totally different than the process of listening to an album. So we're going to get several differening viewpoints here. 

I don't "need" anything specific from music. But I like being pleasantly surprised by aspects of music. You can't predict what will surprise you (hence the surprise) but I don't turn around and say, "That's not a pre-CBS Fender Jazz and you should be using an Ampeg SVT amp, so.... get out. " :-)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 09:15
As for "you can't play prog without drums", pshaw and tish, says I.

Indian / Arabic percussion. 

Actually, you can play "prog" with whatever you like, even bagpipes. Admittedly it may sound a little weird, but prog rock is not some simplistic, formulaic "let's put all these ingredients in a mixing bowl". That's for formula music.

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 10:19
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

As for "you can't play prog without drums", pshaw and tish, says I.

Indian / Arabic percussion. 

Actually, you can play "prog" with whatever you like, even bagpipes. Admittedly it may sound a little weird, but prog rock is not some simplistic, formulaic "let's put all these ingredients in a mixing bowl". That's for formula music.

I'm sorry but I'm Scottish and even Hell has a door policy - you can perform acts of indescribable debauchery using bagpipes that would make Caligula's favourite melon blush, but...you cannot play Prog on bagpipesConfused
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 10:33
There's a famous Sonny Rollins gig where someone is playing jazz on bagpipes. 
I play sax, which is pretty much an accepted instrument for prog, and flute, ditto. I also used to play EWI - electronic wind instrument, ie wind synth. 
Bagpipes, which I can also play (just not very well !!! ) are just a wind instrument with a drone note. It's not the instrument which produces music, but the music which is played which defines what it is. If I played a sax solo over a drone note background, would you say "That's wrong ? "

Nope, so it's all contextual. ;-)

I work with two geniuses who tell me all about playing the sax. They know about music, you see, from listening to it. One was telling me about "the great sax solo in Karma Chameleon"
- I said, Linda, that's a harmonica
- the other one was telling me how some hold music sounded "like Baker Street"
- well, if you'd played it in a major key on a modern Yani or Yam sax, alto instead of tenor, in a completely different style, time and key........... yes.........

And there are several different kind of bagpipes, Exit, not just "great Highland pipes". Bet I could work a set of Northumberland pipes into a prog tune. ;-)

LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 10:38
^ This one progressive folk metal band, smallman, uses the gaida, Southeastern Europe's bagpipe, as part of their sound.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 10:40

I play sax, which is pretty much an accepted instrument for prog, and flute, ditto. I also used to play EWI - electronic wind instrument, ie wind synth. 
Bagpipes, which I can also play (just not very well !!! ) are just a wind instrument with a drone note. It's not the instrument which produces music, but the music which is played which defines what it is. If I played a sax solo over a drone note background, would you say "That's wrong ? "

Nope, so it's all contextual. ;-)

I work with two geniuses who tell me all about playing the sax. They know about music, you see, from listening to it. One was telling me about "the great sax solo in Karma Chameleon"
- I said, Linda, that's a harmonica
- the other one was telling me how some hold music sounded "like Baker Street"
- well, if you'd played it in a major key on a modern Yani or Yam sax, alto instead of tenor, in a completely different style, time and key........... yes.........

And there are several different kind of bagpipes, Exit, not just "great Highland pipes". Bet I could work a set of Northumberland pipes into a prog tune. ;-)

Point taken re wind instruments but as is the norm, my tongue was in the region of my bare faced cheekWink
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 11:13
I consider Fripp and Eno's "No Pussyfooting" to be some fine drumless prog. I scared the living crap out of some young headbangers with that album in the early '80s (durned whippersnappers).

And Peter Gabriel's "Biko" wouldn't be the same without the bagpipes.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 12:48

Paul Dunmall plays some excellent jazz using the Northumbrian pipes. Which are similar to the bagpipes but a little more melodious, being an actual musical instrument rather than a Scots terror weapon Wink
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 13:20
The music I like is so diverse that it's impossible to find common 'ingredients' which all of it needs to have. Frequently it has nothing in common with each other. I guess it's basically 'inspiration channeled through talented musicians', but that 'inspiration' element you only get with music you connect with, frequently unable to explain why you do. There may well be truly inspired music I simply don't connect with.

I would say that I need a certain dose of melody / harmony, I like complicated music and I have the patience to unravel it, but extremely experimental music tends to be hard for me.

Sure there are elements which will make the music immediately pleasant to my ears, give me some good retro-symph prog and most likely I will like it, but this does not by any means mean that I will appreciate it as great music, often the opposite, I may likely see it as pleasant-music-yet-with-little-value, while perhaps some music in a completely different style will grab me and I will see it as truly inspired music.

It's a very difficult thing to explain objectively.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 21:02
I've been thinking that prog is more a state of mind or a way of thinking about music than it is a specific genre.  I have never heard of more disagreements or arguments about what is genre acceptable etc.

So many genres have prog influence.  It's that way of thinking.  Of NOT following what one is supposed to do.  Long pieces, using more complexity than might be required, applauding virtuosity to some extent and so on.  These kind of thoughtful elements can be applied to any form of music, and when we hear them, someone will argue that it is progressive.

WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 14:10
I NEED keyboards, keyboards and more keyboards.  And flamboyant costumes.  And airplanes crashing behind the stage.  And Roger Dean cover art.

Wait ... no, just kidding.

What I NEED in prog are a complex, changeful dramaturgy, and a socio-culturally progressive mindset.  These are what IMHO distinguish prog (good prog, at least, well no, prog that I like, which is not the same thing) from most of the other rock avant-gardes from Velvet Underground to Zappa to Tool.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

porcupinemorning View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 16:10
Weirdness. Unpredictability. Something that will take you to another world with the help of guitars, drums and vocals. There's no single formula but still imo prog should contain many instruments, not only traditional ones, interesting song writing with no verse-chorsus-verse structure.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 16:39
First and foremost, no mamby-pamby singers (Starcastle, Druid, what-Journey-morphed-into, etc.)!
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2015 at 16:48
Originally posted by Skullhead Skullhead wrote:

NOT following what one is supposed to do.  Long pieces, using more complexity than might be required, applauding virtuosity to some extent and so on. 

Coming from a jazz/classical semi-background (father is a music professor; I've had lessons for various instruments and composition and theory with several professors), I can tell you that is exactly what musical academia wants and expects from you i.e. exactly what you're supposed to do. You're simply extolling the long-held values of the Western "high art" institution. Not a terrible thing to extol, but nothing so progressive or forward-thinking either. As far as the rules of Western theory go, classical and jazz had already broken all of them before progressive rock showed up. Rock has always been "post-rules,"— forward-thinking because it doesn't even give a thought to the rules of classical theory, not because it breaks them directly. So prog was innovative from a rock standpoint because it did incorporate western theory, but rock is inclusive. It has no physical rules to break, although it had social rules to break, and, at the time, prog was breaking them with good ol' pretension. But pay in mind, that prog also had surprisingly short (Frank Zappa's Apostrophe, or "Five Per Cent for Nothing" and similar tracks), compositionally simple (Can's repetitious "Halleluwah"), and/or unvirtuousic pieces (Tangerine Dream anybody?). Neither rock nor prog have ever been about being your theory teacher's wet dream, nor your music's critic's wet dream. Rock has always been about expression. For me, it is precisely the artists who create long, complex, virtuosic pieces that seemingly aren't guided first and foremost by a desire to express that bother me the most.
FragileKings View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2015 at 02:50
That's really tough to say. I have found recently that efforts to create music or a song that circumvent the standard pop format really please me. Meter changes and challenging technical approaches are appreciated when they can be pulled off but not just for the sake of showing off. I like odd chords and experimentation as long as it still creates a musical atmosphere I can breathe in. Juxtaposition of random noises rarely impress me and farting around with tape and oscillators in the studio sounds too wacky.

I love efforts to create beauty in sound and song, guitar effects, the inclusion of various traditionally non-rock instruments, and ethnic sounds. Electronica has its place, too. I like various non-rock influences. I like concept narratives. I like a roving and active bass guitar.

Man, there's a lot to say. Any song or album that can impress me in any of the above ways or some I have forgotten to mention will make me glad I spent the money. 
I used to be a fan of particular bands like Rush, Yes, and Deep Purple. Now I travel the Proglands, exploring a little bit of everything. I have become a Prog Voyager.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234