Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive Prog Bands vs Studio Only Prog Projekts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 11:31
The problem is always that not everyone lives in or near a major US city and the local scene virtually anywhere doesn't include prog rock. More and more musicians nowadays work from back bedrooms. Fans, ahem, sorry, "fans" seem to think that getting music for free or listening to it on YouTube constitutes "supporting a band". It does not. Giving a band money allowing it to grow - and do live gigs - constitutes "supporting a band". 

There was a very true comment in the thread which stated that seeing a band play live was a fantastic experience which went beyond the music. I can't agree more. But sadly, less bands are able to do this - and take the risk, nowadays. 

I tend to think Skullhead is trying to change reality with this post. Is there a way of playing live gigs and getting lots of people there ? - well, if there is, everyone would be doing it. Reality suggests otherwise. Sadly.

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 11:55
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Where in the southern US do you live? Have you ever considered attending ProgDay on Labor Day weekend, in Chapel Hill (NC)? We have been going every year since 2010, and wouldn't miss it for anything in the world. Great vibe, great crowd, and always a first-rate offer of exciting modern bands.

I used to live in Alabama and now I am in Oklahoma. Because of the way my job works, I can't really plan ahead - even for a holiday. Anything that requires significant travel is a non-starter, so festivals really don't work for me. As it is, I end up having to give away most of the event tickets I buy. 
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:14
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

[QUOTE=Nogbad_The_Bad]However, it is up to us to make sure that the live scene doesn't die.

I don't think there are enough prog fans to keep the scene alive, even if all of us attended every possible show that was out there.

So many reasons.

I think one has to consider the advent of home theater.  It's just so much easier and convenient to sit in your livingroom and watch a concert DVD or stream it off the web than get in one's car, or hop on a bus and take half a day to get to an urban venue, battle the city congestion not to mention huge ticket prices compared to years ago.  I know there has been inflation, but I have a ticket stub for a Led Zeppelin concert that says "general admission $7.00)

Touring expenses are out of control for bands, especially if they want to travel with stage props, custom light show etc... things that were once very popular in prog for example.

Not sure what the answers are.  Hence I posted this thread in quest of the golden voice of reason!
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:28
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I tend to think Skullhead is trying to change reality with this post. Is there a way of playing live gigs and getting lots of people there ? - well, if there is, everyone would be doing it. Reality suggests otherwise. Sadly.

Isn't the goal of any prog musician to change reality?

One thought is that there is a gift in youth.  That typically being light on your feet and able to move etc.
Remember Hendrix going from Seattle to London because he "heard" there was a great scene there?

With the older generation of prog artists, for most all it is not practical to uproot and move their jobs, kids, families to the prog hotbed wherever that is.

Where is the hotbed right now for prog?  It can't be anywhere in the US.  London? Amsterdam?  Rome? Tokyo, Prague?

I might suggest that there is something magical and inspiring about being submerged in a real scene. 
In a sense we are trying to create a scene right here on Progarchives, and it's cool in that we can all kind of feel something, a sense of community, but nothing like a real scene where we all vibe off one another, buyone another a beer, hang out on a couch and listen to some eclectic music being played in a coffee house before heading to a big 4 band prog show down the street, then partying with the musicians after the show at an after hours get together where you get to meet everyone in the band and slip the bass player your own demo tape, and he calls you a week later and asks if you want to open up for them at their next local show...
and you run into people you met last night at the corner market, and they invite you over their flat for a listen to some new music they just picked up from their friend who knows this new band that is moving to town next week, and they ask you if you know of a place they can live, and you have some spare room out in your yard if they don't mind not having running water, and ........

Edited by Skullhead - January 24 2015 at 12:31
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 12:29
Bands that have fans can hold live shows that sell out. Pop stars and butt rock bands do this all the time with large venues. Popular independent bands do so all the time on an often smaller scale. Home theatre and the internet have nothing to do with any of this. Bands just need exposure!

Edited by Lear'sFool - January 24 2015 at 12:29
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 15:17
In Europe it's very geographyc, there are a few 'hot-spots' for live Prog in Europe, in Holland, bits of Germany, Poland, a lone venue in Walonian Belgium (the 666 in Verviers)... but if you live in Spain for example, forget it, nobody is touring there.
And of course bands have to tour with minimalistic set ups to keep the costs at a minimum.
I have been living in Flemish Belgium for 10 years and it's amazing how different the scene is with a couple hundred kilometers distance, in Flemish Belgium there's absolutely nothing, but go to Holland Tillburg or Zoetemeer, or to the 666 in Verviers and there are regular Prog concerts. Funny...
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:05
It almost seems like there are more prog bands than prog fans. 
The average music listener's tastes have changed dramatically.  Santana, Chicago, bands like those were hugely successful with the general public.  They had great songs, they were live touring bands and extremely prolific in their output.  Both Santana and Chicago did a lot of avant guard stuff, odd meters, and so on.  But if those bands tried to break today with that sound, I think they would be completely panned.

What is  puzzling to me is that these bands can still fill huge venues, because people love those classic songs.  But again, if a band came to a record company with that same vibe today, it would get written off quickly because it sounds dated, or for whatever reason.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:10
^ A lot of the people filling the old timer's shows are long time fans, who fell in love when the band's were cutting albums and want to see them live again, to get that live feeling again from songs that have been their favourites for decades. Doesn't matter if it's Chicago or Motley Crue.
Skullhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 19:30
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

^ A lot of the people filling the old timer's shows are long time fans, who fell in love when the band's were cutting albums and want to see them live again, to get that live feeling again from songs that have been their favourites for decades. Doesn't matter if it's Chicago or Motley Crue.

Fair enough, but I saw Santana last year and there were young people everywhere.  It wasn't just an old folks crowd by any means.  People of every age and race.

At the Steve Hackett concert, nearly everyone was 50 plus.  Hardly any young people, mostly gray beards and hippie shirts.  No black people.  Not one!  Incredible that could happen in such a diverse community.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 19:33
^ That comes back to exposure. Simple as that. Santana gets played on classic rock stations in ways even Yes doesn't... plus there's that album Supernatural that makes Santana a unique case.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 20:55
Yeah, prog rock lacks that retro-cool factor cultivated by some of the classic rock biggies like LZ/Queen (with no small measure of help from the media). 
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2015 at 09:11
Let us suppose, dear readers, that I put together my "psychedelic backing track and lightshow." I book a venue. I hire a PA. I get all the transport arranged. I get a few musicians together. We hire all the practice rooms, go through the numbers time and time again until we're note perfect, which takes time....

.... no one turns up to the gig. What a terrific waste of time.

OK, here's an option.

Subscription only gig. Year in advance, venue, say, Manchester. 300 seater. Costed to break even. People buy their tickets in advance, gig goes ahead on set date if enough tickets are sold. If not, money is returned to them. 

And I bet you that - even giving away free downloads of prior albums as an incentive, there is no way I could shift 300 tickets in a year. There just isn't the audience or the enthusiasm from the audience to turn up.

Game over, man. ;-)

The thing is, not everything, as a musician, is inside your control. You can't make people turn up at a gig. You may think you can. But then you'll have made a fundamental mistake common in marketing, which is thinking that people can be schmoozed or cajoled into turning up somewhere or buying something. They can be invited or tempted but the only thing that matters is reality - if they actually do. And they don't. Because the world has changed. 

Edited by Davesax1965 - January 25 2015 at 09:18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12