Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTangerine Dream Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 09:39
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

The problem I have with it is that, as someone who's into older synth equipment (you might have noticed) the arrival of new technology, in the form of poly synths and digital synthesizers meant that the music changed. Tangerine Dream are so linked to electronic music developments that the history of electronic instruments and TD themselves is virtually identical. 
I might do a thread about the development of synth technology over the years. Well, at some point. ;-) 

To me, TD is the early experimental stuff and the use of their Moog modular and sequencers. I've got pretty much an "early TD " music setup here which many of you could probably spend a pleasant afternoon on. ;-) It's great fun to play around with, a real experimenters' set up, rather than one where you just press a button and get a preset sound.

The sounds they used from '79-'85 are beautiful, though. I can never get enough of the Roland Jupiter 8, which is Johannes' main beast. Not to mention the PPGs, Oberheims, Prophets, and the ubiquitous Mini-Moog. Tangram, Exit, Wavelength, Logos, White Eagle, Firestarter, Poland...all dripping with great, great sounds.
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

I'm quite appalled that the band is seemingly continuing without Edgar Froese. Tribute ? Or moneyspinner ?

At first, I was onboard, but now I do feel that the current trio should operate under a different name. I think the plan is to finish out the "Quantum Years" before the decade is out, but that could change.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2017 at 09:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456