Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report bugs here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedForum search facility unreliable

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forum search facility unreliable
    Posted: February 12 2015 at 00:40
Forum Advanced Search seems to be rather unreliable at the moment.Ermm Wanted to find a post I made back in August 2012 for Docker's Guild - The Mystic Technocracy (Season 1), so I put Docker's Guild into the search bar, with 'topic subject' and 'any date' selected in the drop-down menus. Zilch returned. Tried four times with the same result. Found the post easily enough using google though: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=89032. Anyone else noticed this facility not working as it once did? Fails with either 'match all words' or 'match phrase' selected.

In fact it turns out that the problem is the apostrophe in Docker's. If you search using 'match any word' then it finds the post just fine, but only highlights the word 'Guild'. If you leave off the apostrophe and the 's' and search for 'Docker Guild', then it finds the post with either 'match all words' or 'match any word' selected, and highlights both words in the search result in either case.

I wonder how many other false negative results are being returned by the search facility due to non-alphanumeric characters not working as they should?  Same thing happens with the basic search too. Unhappy
jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 08:30
Yes.
It always sucked. (Male, not female. Sucking on female  is good & proper.)

Try putting "Search option" in there. See wot you get.

Try putting "Wallace" in there.
You think your gonna get "prog masterman"?

Not likely.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 09:16
You'd be surprised how many text fields can't cope with apostrophe input. I have a colleague whose surname is O'Neill and a lot of systems can't handle his surname or email address.
 Post Reply Post Reply