Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMonty Python

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who is your favourite in Monty Python?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [6.25%]
5 [15.63%]
2 [6.25%]
1 [3.13%]
1 [3.13%]
8 [25.00%]
13 [40.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 04:09
John Cleese
This night wounds time.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 11:44
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Just to be completely contrary and chauvinistic, I'm going to go with Carol Cleavage, I mean, Cleveland though not literally, of course. Or do I? *nudge-nudge-wink-wink* ...hang on a minute... she must be in her 70s by now... So, erm, umm... Yes, I do mean "not literally". Harumph! 

Dancing in the dark again, hey Dean ... no worries, I can relate. Paul had the wrong lyric about 64 ... should have been about banging yer head to the wall, or the door!

Cleese for probably the better and disciplined actor, by maybe a hair!

Gilliam for his direction, and I think he added a dimention to the TV shows that made the skits and everything else more surrealistic and funny to watch and not have to follow ... !!!

All of the others are great. Love Neil Innes (though not an original Python but involved in several pieces of music) and Eric Idle, and I still crack up at "Rutland Times" ... which I'm trying to get the CD as the album is losing its shine! Didn't care for the Rutles, but all in all, they were OK with me, though at the time I was concentrating more on The Goons, and all the tapes from around the world ... it was an amazing trading group from Australia to London!

FOR ME, Python was not as much fun as The Goons ... and I liked the idea of having to IMAGINE the effects and the situations, which made it more fun for my visual mind. Seeing it all in front of me, only Gilliam's stuff made sense to me ... and the best one still is in "Baron M" when one of them turns stage left and they are in the desert ... smooth ... and very neat ... and a dream for a stage/film person! Changes of reality are always very hard, but The Goons owned that very well thanks to clever writing and sound effects. How can you not go along with ... "going up .... sound effect ..." or "going down .... sound effect ... " or scream going away and falling in the water ... "he's fallen in the water" ... or having a riot with Silent TNT ... that only idiots could hear it! I can just about remember and quote ... the parrot skit and maybe one other, but otherwise nothing else from Python. My favorite sound effect was always the trains (specially The Last Tram) going through the doors and windows ... the visualization of that was fantastic, but I did not find funny Cleese and others marching a la ... those guys ... we had seen enough of that in Lisbon in the 50's to actually find that funny ... ohhh ... the guns were live, btw!

I think TV changed how we "thought" and "saw" things ... and nowadays you have to be given ... the whole picture, because no one can "imagine" anymore. I find that sad!

Edited by moshkito - February 22 2015 at 12:45
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 12:34
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

All of the others are great. Love Neil Innes and Eric Idle

Should I point out that Innes was not a Python?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 12:47
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

All of the others are great. Love Neil Innes and Eric Idle

Should I point out that Innes was not a Python?

Updated and corrected. Neil was an original in the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band, which in my book was far better than Monty Python, and a lot crazier, but just did not have a TV show!

(GRIMMS is great btw ... worth getting as are the albums by Mike McGear (Paul Beatle's brother)

In 1973 Neil worked with Andy Roberts, Adrian Henri, Roger McGough, Mike McGear, Brian Patten, John Gorman, David Richards, John Megginson, Ollie Halsall, and Gerry Conway in the band GRIMMS, who released their self-titled album and Rocking Duck in 1973 followed by their last album Sleepers in 1976.[5]

In the mid-1970s, Innes became closely associated with the TV series Monty Python's Flying Circus. He played a major role in performing and writing songs and sketches for the final series in 1974 (after John Cleese left). He wrote a squib of a song called "George III" for the episode "The Golden Age of Ballooning", which was sung by The Flirtations, but billed onscreen as the Ronettes). He also wrote the song "When Does a Dream Begin?", used in "Anything Goes: The Light Entertainment War". He co-wrote the "Most Awful Family in Britain" sketch and played a humorous stilted guitar version of the theme song, The Liberty Bell March, during the credits of the last episode, "Party Political Broadcast". He is one of only two non-Pythons to ever be credited writers for the TV series, the other being Douglas Adams (who co-wrote another sketch in "Party Political Broadcast").

He appeared on stage with the Pythons in New York City in 1976, performing the Bob Dylanesque "Protest Song" (complete with harmonica) on the album Monty Python Live at City Center. He was introduced as Raymond Scum. After his introduction he told the audience, "I've suffered for my music. Now it's your turn." In 1982 he travelled to the States with the Pythons again, appearing in Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl. He performed the songs "How Sweet to Be an Idiot" and "I'm the Urban Spaceman". He also appeared as one of the singing "Bruces" in the Philosopher Sketch and as a Church Policeman in that sketch.

Innes wrote the songs for Monty Python and the Holy Grail. He appeared in the film as a head-bashing monk, the serf crushed by the giant wooden rabbit, and the leader of Sir Robin's minstrels. He also had a small role in Terry Gilliam's Jabberwocky. His collaborations with Monty Python and other artists were documented in the musical film The Seventh Python (2008).

Edited by moshkito - February 22 2015 at 12:51
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 13:50
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

The one called Monty Python.............
LOL  Classic Wu!

Not sure what classic Wu is .....Wink
but  I suppose it would be between Palin and Cleese for me...like them both equally .

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 14:43
Hmm. Being alive when this drivel was first broadcast I can remember what came before it so it actually wasn't that special at the time. Aside from Milligoon and his ex-army chums with their ex-army humour, there was a radio programme called I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again and a televisual programme for kiddies called Do Not Adjust Your Set. DNAYS was the infant version of MPFC and much of the humour, writing and anarchic surrealism was identical:

Looks familiar does it not?

Gosh, this 'Who is your favourite Python?' malarkey is dashed serious business what? I'm not prepared to pursue my line of inquiry any longer as I think this is getting too serious!

What?
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 16:22
^ Ah, yes, DNAYS, Q, all the other great surreal humour shows of the time and place. The Pythons probably only won out because of PBS over Stateside, and those films of theirs.

And if anyone is taking this seriously, they're doing it wrong. Wink
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2015 at 16:28
^ No, I'm sorry, I'm not prepared to pursue my line of enquiry any further as I think this is getting too silly.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123