Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - King Crimson - Night Watch vs The Great Deceiver
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson - Night Watch vs The Great Deceiver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson - Night Watch vs The Great Deceiver
    Posted: February 19 2015 at 10:29
Hi all,

I already have King Crimson's The Great Deceiver 4CD set which features live recordings from 1973 to 1974. I really enjoy it.

I haven't bought Night Watch yet because it's also a live recording from 1973.

Are the versions of the songs on Night Watch considerably different from the versions on Great Deceiver? How about sound quality?

Thanks in advance for any opinions or information.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 11:00
Hmmm... The Night Watch...

Well, two of the three improv sections, "Starless and Bible Black" and "Trio", are the ones that ended up being used on Starless and Bible Black.

The third is unique, "The Fright Watch", and forms a smashing medley with the more traditional "The Talking Drum/Larks' Tongues In Aspic: Part Two" combo, before "21st Century Schizoid Man" is played as an encore.

The track "The Night Watch" is a great opener.

All in all, a great show with great SQ. If you want plenty more live Crimson, and don't mind the essential doubling of the Starless tracks, it's worth getting.

Edited by Lear'sFool - February 19 2015 at 11:01
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 11:40
If you can't get enough of the 73/74 band : Go for it.

If you wan't something different : Pass
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 12:33
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

All in all, a great show with great SQ. If you want plenty more live Crimson, and don't mind the essential doubling of the Starless tracks, it's worth getting.

Okay, thanks for your opinion! I think I'll get it!

Love the Cowboy Bebop sig BTW!
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 12:35
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

If you can't get enough of the 73/74 band : Go for it.

If you wan't something different : Pass

Okay, for me it's "Go for it"!

Thanks.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 21:04
If you are considering more live albums from the era, check out Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, it's got 2 concerts, and among them both it's got many of my favourite versions of songs. It's got my very favourite version of Starless, as well as 21st Century Schizoid Man. Actually, I do have The Great Deceiver collection too, and even though there are songs I enjoy more on that one (don't really remember which ones right now), in general I think my favourite one is Collectible. As for The Night Watch, I haven't got that one, and wasn't really considering to get it since I already have a good bit of live Crimson from this line-up... but perhaps I should reconsider and give it a chance.
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 23:27
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

If you are considering more live albums from the era, check out Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, it's got 2 concerts, and among them both it's got many of my favorite versions of songs.

Okay, I'll get that one too! Thanks for the recommendation!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 00:28
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Okay, thanks for your opinion! I think I'll get it!

Love the Cowboy Bebop sig BTW!

A good choice. Thumbs Up
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 20:14
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

If you are considering more live albums from the era, check out Collectible King Crimson Vol 1, it's got 2 concerts, and among them both it's got many of my favorite versions of songs.

Okay, I'll get that one too! Thanks for the recommendation!

Good, let's see if you like it

However, you might be interested to know that one of the concerts of this album is the same one from the album USA, but this one doesn't have edits nor overdubs that USA does have (including dubbing Eddie Jobson on violin over David Cross, for some reason).

Edited by Dellinger - February 20 2015 at 20:14
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2015 at 13:33
The Night Watch is a very special concert. Originally when King Crimson were broadcasted monthly in the U.S. on various after hours Progressive Rock radio shows, there was talk of the Amsterdam 73' show circulating and how impressive it was. Many of my friends recorded it direct from the radio onto cassette tape. We used to guess that it was Tommy Vance introducing each song. The concert would begin with "Easy Money" and then he would announce the title of the next track which would be "Lament" and so on... 

Never once did we hear "Improv:Starless And Bible Black" or "Fracture" on any of the broadcasts of the Amsterdam show and so it was not revealed to Crimheads in 1974 that these 2 tracks which appeared on the "Starless and Bible Black" studio album were from Amsterdam. It's possible that Fripp mentioned something on the subject when being interviewed by a journalist, but nevertheless it seemed to pass us by.

I used to have an interview with Fripp on tape where he questions the Rock journalist if he had ever heard the Amsterdam show. When the journalist answers no, Fripp then remarks to the journalist that he missed the best concert ever given by the 73/74 band. Aside from the mellotron dropping out in the song.."The Night Watch", it is their overall best performance. It's not like they open with "Easy Money" or "Larks Tongues Part II" and rush through the predictable set list. Instead they open with a different sounding "Easy Money" with a Jazz style guitar solo in the center of it and later execute a unique running order of tracks. It doesn't stagnate like some of the other live shows from that period where I often shake my head and wonder if I'm not trapped in a time loop of road shows where the band wasn't changing the set list around for a few months...which is okay...but "The Night Watch" live in Amsterdam 73' doesn't take you there.

After Jamie Muir left ....they band changed their set lists around , experimenting with some very odd running orders of their material and as a result, some very interesting, quirky, oddball King Crimson shows took place during this specific period...which was probably a whole of 3 or 4 months until Fripp alternated "Easy Money" or "Larks Tongues In Aspic" as an opener or closing of most shows. This is what makes Amsterdam unique. Another unique set list was for the Pittsburgh show in 74' where the band opened with "Great Deceiver".  There are few live shows available of this period where the set list running order of songs and pieces are unique and make it seem as if you are having a visit with King Crimson and not a quick set list that was assembled and decided upon for the fast road they traveled on.

Off thread for a moment......I would like to have the original soundboard recording of King Crimson at the Fillmore East in 69' ..which Fripp claims to be the best performance of that band. Pete Sinfield lost the tape , but the audience recording , (which featured only a few tracks), was discovered by Michael Giles. It was released on the Epitaph box set ..along with a young King Crimson giving somewhat of a poor performance at the "Fillmore West".  According to Fripp, there is no other performance that compares to it. I can dream on with the audience recording. One day...someone might cough it up as it was supposedly misplaced at an airport, but considering what was happening in those days..someone could have sniffed coke off of it or used it to flick cigarette ashes on to it and furthermore played it, deciding it was rubbish and threw it in the trashcan like record executives used to do with demo tapes sent to them from independent artists.

Edited by TODDLER - February 24 2015 at 13:48
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2015 at 19:39
^
 Post Reply Post Reply