Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFreak Out!: Mother's Of Invention.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 11:26
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ yeah. I listen to that and immediately launch into a few 'hell yeah Frank'

prog album? whatever.  Great album?  No doubt.  I see it more as the first alternative rock album actually.

Why not as the first art-rock album? It would be more logical than alt.rock, isn't? Wink
Yeah, Art Rock or Avant Garde Rock is what I would've called it. Given that PA subsumes Avant/RIO as a genre of Prog, it would have to be the first Prog album. I agree with Micky's point, though, as far as how different it was from British Prog.
Freak Out! is different than any other later recorded 60s English Art Rock album but it doesn't mean that Freak Out! is not an Art-Rock album. After all, Zappa always was very different than any band or solo artist from England. That diversity is not the case with Freak Out! only; it's the same thing with the whole Zappa's catalogue.

Edited by Svetonio - March 06 2015 at 11:28
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 11:52
Loving it, always have.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2015 at 20:59

Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

^ yeah. I listen to that and immediately launch into a few 'hell yeah Frank'

prog album? whatever.  Great album?  No doubt.  I see it more as the first alternative rock album actually.

Why not as the first art-rock album? It would be more logical than alt.rock, isn't? Wink
Yeah, Art Rock or Avant Garde Rock is what I would've called it. Given that PA subsumes Avant/RIO as a genre of Prog, it would have to be the first Prog album. I agree with Micky's point, though, as far as how different it was from British Prog.
Freak Out! is different than any other later recorded 60s English Art Rock album but it doesn't mean that Freak Out! is not an Art-Rock album. After all, Zappa always was very different than any band or solo artist from England. That diversity is not the case with Freak Out! only; it's the same thing with the whole Zappa's catalogue.
That's absolutely right, friend!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 06:47

It was a statement of everything wrong in the world man. It was social commentary and critque, giving a finger to all that was wrong in the world. In my mind a helluva lot more in tune with 'alternative' rock than English Art-Rock.  IMO the music was secondary to the overall message in that album. I'd damn well bet my paycheck, and yours that is exactly what Frank intended. Art-Rock? Nah..  I don't see it.
60s English Art-Rock actually was Symphonic rock, early English psychedelia, Hammond organ driven Heavy Rock and Canterbury scene (I apologize if I've forgotten something). Of course that Freak Out!  have nothing to do with them. Freak Out! was / is U.S. Art-Rock IMHO. Of course, a common thing to 60s U.S. Art Rock (Zappa, Blood, Sweat & Tears, The Doors and so on) and 60s English Art Rock (Moody Blues, Family, The Nice and so on) is that they both showed greater ambitions than to make just danceable pop rock songs. However, they all were very different from each other - especialy with Atlantic ocean between them.

U.S Art Rock?  Hmmm.. ahhh

U.S. Art Rock -> alt rock.  See Velvet Underground
English Art Rock -> prog

ehhh.. call it what you want. I sure as hell do LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 07:02

It was a statement of everything wrong in the world man. It was social commentary and critque, giving a finger to all that was wrong in the world. In my mind a helluva lot more in tune with 'alternative' rock than English Art-Rock.  IMO the music was secondary to the overall message in that album. I'd damn well bet my paycheck, and yours that is exactly what Frank intended. Art-Rock? Nah..  I don't see it.
60s English Art-Rock actually was Symphonic rock, early English psychedelia, Hammond organ driven Heavy Rock and Canterbury scene (I apologize if I've forgotten something). Of course that Freak Out!  have nothing to do with them. Freak Out! was / is U.S. Art-Rock IMHO. Of course, a common thing to 60s U.S. Art Rock (Zappa, Blood, Sweat & Tears, The Doors and so on) and 60s English Art Rock (Moody Blues, Family, The Nice and so on) is that they both showed greater ambitions than to make just danceable pop rock songs. However, they all were very different from each other - especialy with Atlantic ocean between them.

U.S Art Rock?  Hmmm.. ahhh

U.S. Art Rock -> alt rock.  See Velvet Underground
English Art Rock -> prog

ehhh.. call it what you want. I sure as hell do LOL
LOL Hands down! Congrats, Micky! Thinking about The Velvet Undeground as an alt. rock band is really sky-high!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 07:05
Thumbs Up Free thinking is a lost art these days. LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2015 at 07:10

Thumbs Up Free thinking is a lost art these days. LOL
Yes, that's true... Though, as you can see, in the case of U.S. Prog acts & albums that free thinking is welcome LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12