1 [2.38%]
3 [7.14%]
1 [2.38%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 15:08
I went for ToT - I'm not much in the way of a metal head, but I really love that album. 

The poll results suggest that DT is trailing off. 

IMHO, the quality of their releases remains very high when viewed in isolation, but there seams to be a general lack of new ideas - IMHO, their sound has become rather stale and I'm not hearing too much in the way of fresh musical ideas in their newer releases. I purchased most everything from Scenes from a Memory on shortly after release, but I found myself starting to lose interest after Systematic Chaos and haven't even bothered with the latest album.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2015 at 23:34
Originally posted by RockHound RockHound wrote:

I went for ToT - I'm not much in the way of a metal head, but I really love that album. 

The poll results suggest that DT is trailing off. 

IMHO, the quality of their releases remains very high when viewed in isolation, but there seams to be a general lack of new ideas - IMHO, their sound has become rather stale and I'm not hearing too much in the way of fresh musical ideas in their newer releases. I purchased most everything from Scenes from a Memory on shortly after release, but I found myself starting to lose interest after Systematic Chaos and haven't even bothered with the latest album.

Well, I guess the last album would be worth getting for Ilumination Theory alone. Not really anything new yet, though, but by far my favourite track since Portnoy left, and perhaps the only one that doesn't leave me wishing he was still with the band.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2015 at 12:05
Octavarium 
King Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 01:15
Dream Theater!
Don't Bore Us, Get To The Chorus
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2015 at 10:35
Octavarium
SDoIT
ToT
ADTOE
BC&SL
SC
DT

Octavarium just hits home for me, as well as having a lot of emotional attachment to it and the time when it was the newest album. Six Degrees is the best album, and Train of Thought is intense all the way through, but Octavarium is the exclamation point on Dream Theater's career up to that point, and the title track may be the best composition of the last 35 years

"Dream Theater" didn't do much for me, and I've only slightly warmed up to it. At least Systematic Chaos hooked me on first listen, and I still enjoy it, though I think it's the weakest album since their first album, it was still the, now "classic", lineup of Rudess, Petrucci, Portnoy, Myung, and Labrie, and the album is much, much stronger album to me than the self titled Dream Theater album. I was on board with ADTOE, but something felt a little off. DT is the only Dream Theater album I never crave to listen to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12