Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSpirit: Spirit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 20:54
Maybe next Record Store Day, they can release a "Taurus" single (maybe back it with the outtake "Veruska").

On a related note, they had my curiosity with the "Taurus" fiasco, but the song that got my attention was "Uncle Jack". The opening drum part, ooh boy.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - June 25 2016 at 20:56
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 13:49
I still play Spirit on a fairly regular basis (12 Dreams is one of my favorite albums.... period)........I've always liked the west coast bands from that time period including The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver, and Love who are usually overlooked.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2016 at 12:58
It's shame but I just listened the first Spirit album for a first time. Great feelings! This is a wonderful album. It's hard to believe that it was recorded in 1967 and that Spirit is American band - some things sounds so British.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 18:51
Absolutely an American band.....you can almost see the blonde California girls and smell the Mexican ditch weed that followed that whole 60s LA scene wherever it went.  They had a unique sound - that jazzy rhythm section with Randy's playing all over, under and in between (he was Hendrix-like minus the histrionics and more serving the song), but they're so southern California.....crisp waves, a cool buzz and the first Spirit album.  Man, would've loved to been hanging around Venice about that time.....Spirit, Love, the Byrds, Zappa's Mothers, Capt Beefheart, Tim Buckley, Neil Young and CSN, the Doors, the Beach Boys.....and that sunny California sun before it got all exploited, overdeveloped and expensive.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 19:06
^ There was indeed a time when L.A. was a great town for music, jazz in the '50s as well.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2016 at 20:00
I adore early Spirit. Their first four LPs are all must haves. Anyways, Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus used to be my favorite but now their 1st first LP is my fav. My two personal fav. tracks are Fresh Garbage and Elijah. Also, does anyone else get Fresh Garbage vibes when they listen to Poor Richard from their 2nd LP?

Edited by BunBun - August 30 2016 at 20:04
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12