Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSuper Furry Animals Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Furry Animals Appreciation Thread
    Posted: March 10 2015 at 14:02
Seeing as the band are coming out of doing solo stuff (And enjoyable Gruff Rhys's "American Interior" And Cian Ciaran's "They Are Nothing Without Us" solo stuff like that!) to reissue their Welsh album "Mwng" and play four dates in the UK*, I feel the band deserve a thread. (And I did an advanced search as well, no thread. And I also think it isn't too soon for them to have a thread)

I am pleased to see all their albums have been reviewed and I agree, boringly, with the ratings.
But I feel their last album "Dark Days/Light Years" is just as great as "Rings Around The World" and "Phantom Power". (And "Phantom Power" has the best sequence they've ended their albums with)
I do remember my brother did me a tape of their early singles and b-sides around the 1996 time of "Fuzzy Logic".
I really got into them with "Guerilla" and they've been a favourite ever since.
"Love Kraft" is often thought of as too rich and slow, but it's got 5 of the best tracks they've done.
"Zoom!","Lazer Beam" and my favourite of the album, "Cabin Fever".

Obviously, I've missed out on the tickets, but are there any SFA heads in tonight reading this?

And although I've seen it panned in music magazines, I'm still interested in reading their biography "Rise Of The Super Furry Animals".
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2015 at 14:59
^I have to say that there's not much of Super Furry Animals that I personally think is very prog or psych, but they are an exceptionally good pop rock band. Hello Sunshine is one of my favorite pop songs and always puts me in a good mood when I'm feeling down. Smile
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 14:32
I rarely listen to any of the albums other than Outspaced. But they are one of the best live bands out there. I've seen them six or seven times and they never disappoint.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 15:31
I have a best-of CD of theirs that I bought after seeing them in concert.  Although they were the headliner, I had never heard of them before - I had gone to the show to see the opening band (Fiery Furnaces).  They were pretty cool - the singer sang the first couple of songs wearing a space helmet.  Anyway, I haven't really gotten attached to the CD I have -- but having noticed this thread, I think I'll grab it for my next ride in the car.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Snufkins 3rd Ear View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2015 at 19:07
SFA and Gruff Rhys are really great.. Radiator, Guerilla and Phantom power are the best and Gruff's Candylion is just ace! Seen them loads of times from tiny, shambolic club gigs up to their Cardiff home-coming gig at the end of the Phantom power tour. They are not 'Prog', not really Psychedilc and i dont think theyve got anything in common the the other 90's 'indie' or Brit-pop or Creation-label bands at all.. cant really put my finger on why i like 'em so much- i think its that they are extremely clever in how they put their songs together, with an unlimited palette of musical ideas, a good dose of humour and word play and whilst being pround of their heritage and language, have an open, world embracing view. Something like thatWink
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 05:30
Originally posted by Snufkins 3rd Ear Snufkins 3rd Ear wrote:

SFA and Gruff Rhys are really great.. Radiator, Guerilla and Phantom power are the best and Gruff's Candylion is just ace! Seen them loads of times from tiny, shambolic club gigs up to their Cardiff home-coming gig at the end of the Phantom power tour. They are not 'Prog', not really Psychedilc and i dont think theyve got anything in common the the other 90's 'indie' or Brit-pop or Creation-label bands at all.. cant really put my finger on why i like 'em so much- i think its that they are extremely clever in how they put their songs together, with an unlimited palette of musical ideas, a good dose of humour and word play and whilst being pround of their heritage and language, have an open, world embracing view. Something like thatWink

And they used to drive round in a pink tank. Don't forget that part!

Edited by Mascodagama - March 21 2015 at 05:33
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 18:06
And wearing Yeti outfits!!! Any band that wears Yeti outfits get my vote!!LOL Gruff used to wear a power ranger helmetClap when playing 'slow life'.. The live 20 odd minute 'techno wig-out' of 'The man dont give a f**k' (which has a  truely fantastic sample from Steely dan 'Hollywood kids') is just mental...
The other band from that era who float my boat is the Beta band..Big smile
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 04:28

And wearing Yeti outfits!!! Any band that wears Yeti outfits get my vote!!LOL Gruff used to wear a power ranger helmetClap when playing 'slow life'.. The live 20 odd minute 'techno wig-out' of 'The man dont give a f**k' (which has a  truely fantastic sample from Steely dan 'Hollywood kids') is just mental...
The other band from that era who float my boat is the Beta band..Big smile

It was the genius use of the Dan sample that first got me interested in SFA as a long time fan of Donald & Walter! Being a sad pedant about matters SD, I gotta state that the original song is 'Show Biz Kids'.

I got 'The Three EPs' back in the day and remember quite digging it, but it must be years since I listened. Must pull it out! Anything else of theirs I should investigate...?

Edited by Mascodagama - March 22 2015 at 04:35
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 08:28
I really love the debut, Radiator and Rings Around The World. Haven't yet heard them all but have been getting intto them lately. 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 17:04
the 3 EP's is a great place to start with the Beta band; their first self-titled lp is (in my view) equally good though the band themselves were not not happy with it and dubbed it 'the worst lp ever'..Confused
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 17:06
Youre absolutely right... of course its 'Show biz kids'... not sure where my brain was when i was writing that.. bit of a 'senior moment' on my partEmbarrassed
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2015 at 15:44

the 3 EP's is a great place to start with the Beta band; their first self-titled lp is (in my view) equally good though the band themselves were not not happy with it and dubbed it 'the worst lp ever'..Confused

I'll check it out, thank you.  I think a lot of bands tend to disparage their own early stuff, and they aren't always right!
 Post Reply Post Reply