Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArthur Brown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2015 at 03:31
Got the 2nd album today. Some fine tracks once again just like the first album. Arthur should have sung more on both albums instead of a couple of those short silly tracks Big smile
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 02:53
Got 3rd album now also. I hate the drum machine. Ruins the music imo. Fine music it is too. Wonder what he was thinking to not choose one of the 1000's of drummers who could have filled in Shocked . At least one bonus track have drums in it. But that sound just ruins the music for me. Such a shame

Edited by dr prog - March 24 2015 at 03:03
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 03:05
^ What 2nd album ?? 'Journey' ????
Regardless of the synthetic, robotic Bentley Rhythm Ace, this is a wonderfully trippy album. Waaaaaaay ahead of its time - if it's the 2nd album - colon digestion is imperitive .............
................best 6 bucks I ever spent on vinyl in the late 90's........( I recall also aquiring Clearlight's Forever Blowing Bubbles, and Le Orme's In Concerto (and another album I can't recall) - all for 20 bucks......
Kingdom Come S/T is just freaky.........
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 03:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ What 2nd album ?? 'Journey' ????
Regardless of the synthetic, robotic Bentley Rhythm Ace, this is a wonderfully trippy album. Waaaaaaay ahead of its time - if it's the 2nd album - colon digestion is imperitive .............
................best 6 bucks I ever spent on vinyl in the late 90's........( I recall also aquiring Clearlight's Forever Blowing Bubbles, and Le Orme's In Concerto (and another album I can't recall) - all for 20 bucks......
Kingdom Come S/T is just freaky.........

Got 2nd and 3rd. I just find those drum sounds unlistenable. Such a shame he didn't choose a drummer. I probably would have really enjoyed the album. Damn lol
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 03:43
^ I know where you're coming from for sure. This synthetic s.h.i.t. pisses me off no-end, but given how it would e sounded to my mind (I was only barely 6 months old when this was released). Perhaps a copious amount of Persian was what it took, but it's a classic for me, for ever-more. There's also a mad album from Victor Peraino under 'Victor Peraino's Kingdom Come' later on. Yes, he's a looney, (like many of us), but sweet never-the-less.
Put AB's voice atop a Hammond, Moog synth or Mellotron, and we have Prog bliss. ( and right now I have Genesis' Driving The Last Spike going - live version, going while I type.) Can You Hear Me ??....... Can You See. ?? .........
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 04:00
As much as I hate the use of a drum machines trying to emulate real drums sound with Journey it's a different case since they weren't trying to emulate drums sound, it's just used as an electronic beat.
For some reason that album came very naturally for me, and I just adore every second of it!

BTW the remastered version offers the song Spirits Of Joy with real drums sound as a bonus track.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 04:41
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I know where you're coming from for sure. This synthetic s.h.i.t. pisses me off no-end, but given how it would e sounded to my mind (I was only barely 6 months old when this was released). Perhaps a copious amount of Persian was what it took, but it's a classic for me, for ever-more. There's also a mad album from Victor Peraino under 'Victor Peraino's Kingdom Come' later on. Yes, he's a looney, (like many of us), but sweet never-the-less.
Put AB's voice atop a Hammond, Moog synth or Mellotron, and we have Prog bliss. ( and right now I have Genesis' Driving The Last Spike going - live version, going while I type.) Can You Hear Me ??....... Can You See. ?? .........
Playing it again and I can't listen to it lol. I find bad drum sounds the most off putting invention in music. I'm really annoyed that they used that machine on an album when music was so great. Damn it
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2015 at 06:03
^ I agree about the Bentley Rhythm Ace drum machine spoiling some of Journey's dynamic flow (but I still enjoy the album regardless) The only people who seem to adore its thin, anodyne, robotically quantised and synthetic timbres are the same retro analogue fetishists who tell us everything digital is erm...thin, anodyne, robotically quantised and synthetic. However, I do confess to also being prejudiced: I heartily loathe most electronic drum sounds (and would take the view that such also spoil much of Arthur's otherwise decent Requiem album from 1982)
poeghost View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2015 at 13:59
I don't care for the drum machine in "Journey" either. Especially at the beginning when it takes a long time before you finally get into the song. But, in the context of the type of music it is (using synthesizers, spacey type music), the drum machine doesn't seem out of place. I'm not adverse to drum machines, as I've used a couple from the 80s and 90s for creating my own music. They actually sound quite good.

I love the song "Spirit of Joy", didn't know there was a version of it with real drums. I'll have to check that out!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12