Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTriumvirat's Spartacus turns 40!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Triumvirat's Spartacus turns 40!
    Posted: March 19 2015 at 21:14
       It has been exactly 40 years since the recording of German Symphonic Prog band Triumvirat's most successfull album "Spartacus".
                    It was recorded in "Electrola Studios" in Cologne, Germany in February/March of 1975. The tapes were mixed by former Beatles engineer Geoff Emerick. 
                       This was a concept album about the famous Gladiator of Rome's slave revolt around 70 BC. The album entered the Top 30 in America at 27th place and remained for 5 weeks.
                      The lyrics were penned by Triumvirat drummer Hans Bathelt, and the music, amidst some classical music quotations, was written mainly by Keyboardist/Producer Juergen Fritz, with some help from Bathelt and Bass/Six-string guitarist and Lead Vocalist the late Helmut Koellen.
                        In April of 1975, the band took off on a tour of Europe supporting Grand Funk Railroad, and then went to America, touring there mainly with ELO, and Supertramp, with an occasional Canadian concert.
                          This would be the last Triumvirat album to feature Helmut Koellen, who announced his intention to leave Triumvirat that year, to embark on a solo career, as well as race car driving.
                         Support in their native Germany was not equalling that overseas, but by the end of 1975, the band found a new bass guitarist in a returning Dick Frangenberg, and a new lead vocalist in British singer Barry Palmer, and went back to Germany, to record their fourth album "Old Loves Die Hard".
                           There have been several re-issues of Spartacus on Compact Disc over the years.
              This record is a brilliant example of a mid 70s progressive rock triumph of musicianship, engineering, and conceptual lyrics that remains as fresh and invigorating as it did so many decades ago!

Edited by presdoug - March 20 2015 at 10:06
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 22:37
Special memories of this album, Doug! One of the first prog albums I ever bought. I just looked at the cover, thought it looked kind of interesting, then looked at the back with some longer running times - cue raised curious eyebrow!

It's a nice mix of extended instrumental passages and great vocal melodies.

I think `Illusions...' might be the stronger album, but this is more personally special to me!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2015 at 23:19
Spartacus and OLDH are my favorite T'rat albums. The title track of Spartacus is gangbusters!
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 05:57
Easily within the top 20 prog epics.
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 15:14
I prefer 'Illusions' but Spartacus is a lovely album too, nice of you to remind us of this!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2015 at 18:40
I've got all the remasters for the first three albums and Pompeii.  Pompeii is a little uneven, but all are good.  Illusions remains my favorite. Spartacus comes in second and Mediterranean third.  I used to have Old Loves and Russian Roulette on LP, but I think I listened to them once or twice, it was many years ago and remember being disappointed.  They succumbed to the house flood of 2009.

Just saw this post, Doug.  I think I may go and crank up Spartacus after dinner.

On a side note, those four I am now on my third copies of.  First were LPs and second unremastered CDs...

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 20 2015 at 18:54
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 11:50
  I remember first discovering Spartacus around 1988, with an lp copy I found at a used record and book store. I still remember the guy behind the counter giving me a WTF look at me when he looked at the cover.LOL It was a Canadian Capitol pressing that had an inner sleeve with architectural black and white photos and liner notes. I now have the 2002 CD remaster.

Edited by presdoug - March 21 2015 at 11:51
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2015 at 18:54
I don't remember when I first heard it but I think it was before '88 Big smile

BTW, totally enjoyed listening to it again.  My only complaint is that they were trying too hard to sound like ELP at the time, which wasn't really a bad thing to do.  Because for crying out loud, ELP wasn't putting out enough stuff at the time.

Edited by Slartibartfast - March 21 2015 at 18:55
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2015 at 03:46
Illusions On A Double Dimple was a pleasant surprise to me as it is NOT an ELP clone thing but an original keyboard based prog album. Remove guitar and put keyboard up front and voila its ELP! (but it isn't) . Spartacus is okay but I've never been quite able to warm to it as others have. Perhaps its the vocals and there is maybe one occasion where Jurgen does nick something from Keith .. but its only for a moment. I will persevere..
 Post Reply Post Reply