Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew here - my favorite bands

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New here - my favorite bands
    Posted: April 09 2015 at 18:22
Hello to all.  My name is Adam and I'm from the Chattanooga, TN area. 

One thing that I noticed right off the bat is that when I search the forums, there isn't much (if any) talk about Steve Morse.  I didn't try the same search for the Dregs.

My first concert was The Dregs (they went back to "The Dixie Dregs" for this album).  They also recorded an album out of both nights at Center Stage in Atlanta.  My life and musical interests were forever changed that evening.

I was listening to Jeff Beck, Bill Bruford, Kind Crimson (also Bruford on drums) at the time, but when I heard the Dregs, it was very special to me. 

This was about 25 years ago.  I was 16 years old at the time.  I'm 41 now and still listen to all of Steve's output (with the exception of maybe Deep Purple). 

The live album that I was just referring to is Bring 'Em Back Alive and I have it in my player in my Jeep right now as a matter of fact.  I can't tell  you how much I've listened to all of Steve's albums, but it's a LOT and I never get tired of his music. 

Since then, he's done several side projects.  He did that live album with a few guys from Daisley and Kerslake (sp?) playing some Ozzy tunes that they co-wrote and some original stuff.  He did that acoustic album with the female singer and the new Flying Colors album(s) with Portnoy, Larue, and Neal Morse.

I'm as much, if not more of a fan now that I was then.  I'm wondering if there are others here that listen to Morse still...
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2015 at 08:21
Welcome to ProgArchives! Hope you have fun on the forums! It's encouraged that you start any discussion that you please, especially if it's something you find that we don't talk about. We are always up for fresh discussion!
http://fryingpanmedia.com
quasar k View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 23:25
Hi Adam, I'm Chris. Also a new guy. I like Dixie Dregs and Steve Morse. I saw him live in Miami once. I like High Tension, The Introduction, and Stand Up. He's one of those guys whose back catalog (solo and with bands) is just enormous. One thing I really appreciate about Morse is that he is very into his guitars. He does a lot of his own work and is meticulous about his instruments. I like him with Deep Purple okay, but I agree, it wasn't my favorite lineup. I love Deep Purple, though. My mother gave me Machine Head (with Blackmore) when I was 12 years old and it changed my life. True story, I'm 32 now, she's 62, that stuff still rocks harder than half the bands today! 

Jeff Beck is awesome. He's a stylist that you only need a few notes to know it's him. So slick and laconic compared to other more brash blues-rockers on the Strat. Wired is a desert island disc for me. Blow By Blow, Yardbirds stuff, Truth, Beck-Ola, so many goodies.

Cheers.

I've been ionized, but I'm okay now.
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 09:58
Hi! I'm also relatively new here. I'm not as big a Steve Morse fan as some people I know, though I certainly do appreciate his artistry.

And I also always questioned his being in Deep Purple until the most recent album, Now What?! I think they hit it with that one, maybe also having Don Airey helped. Though I think it might be more easily likable as a Deep Purple fan than as a Steve Morse fan, if that makes any sense...
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 10:20
Welcome, welcome, one and all. I remember when I was a newbie here, but I'm feeling much better now LOL.

As stated above by Thatch (aglasshouse) if you don't see a thread about what you want to talk about, start one up. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how may may chime in.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply