Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNektar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2016 at 23:58
I got the Recycled record back in the early 80s and as usual quickly put it on tape to keep the record in good shape. I only got a CD of it 4 or 5 years ago. It was the Nektar Recycled Deluxe Edition. It has the original mix first, then the album starts over with what is identified as the Geoff Emerick Mix. Does anyone else have this or heard it. Does anyone else find the Geoff Emerick Mix to be as dreadful as I do?

It really changes the character of the album. Unfortunately, I can't find the booklet that came with it.   Must have taken it out to read just put it somewhere. It had a lot of info about the mixes in there.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2016 at 00:17
I'm a firm believer of the way things are supposed to have happened.........therefore, to my ears, Recycled could not be improved upon..............great album the way it is ............
Heck, I'm sure with a modern twist of production and sensibility, Invisible Touch could sound smazing...............
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 00:41
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I got the Recycled record back in the early 80s and as usual quickly put it on tape to keep the record in good shape. I only got a CD of it 4 or 5 years ago. It was the Nektar Recycled Deluxe Edition. It has the original mix first, then the album starts over with what is identified as the Geoff Emerick Mix. Does anyone else have this or heard it. Does anyone else find the Geoff Emerick Mix to be as dreadful as I do?

It really changes the character of the album. Unfortunately, I can't find the booklet that came with it.   Must have taken it out to read just put it somewhere. It had a lot of info about the mixes in there.

I have that one with the Geoff Emerick mix - not sure where it is right at the moment but if I can find it I'll try and scan the liner notes for you. Still kind of new to Recycled in general when I was listening to it so can't really comment on the mix itself.

This is the first video footage I've ever seen of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAnESYSpgn0

Edited by hieronymous - February 01 2016 at 00:43
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 00:58
^ Classic vintage footage right there.........
MASSIVE thanks for posting.......
Rockin rob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 09:40
Tom: Thanks for the refresh on " Spread Your Wings" there is a nice guitar riff in the middle of the track that just stands out for me. The lyrics are also relevant to a situation I was in at the time. Again I appreciate Your input.
Rockin rob View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 09:56
I saw Nektar at Hofstra University in Long Island , New York back in 1977 I believe . The show was nice and intimate the theater there had good acoustics and was sold out about one thousand possibly! We had front row balcony as our seats were relocated due to the fact the sound mix console consumed our original seats. During the encore Mo Moore was knocked onto the floor of the stage , when a flash pot exploded too close and prematurely.He dropped his bass guitar and the feedback resounded through out the hall.Most people thought this was part of the show, luckily no one was hurt and the band finished the show.At the time I considered Nektar one of the best progressive rock bands I had seen to date.As I will never forget that experience that night I am glad to hear that Nektar is still recording and gigging too!
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 12:28

Recycled is a little too slick for me, built up out of endless gag-me-with-a-spoon style commercial hooks, but there are times when I'm up for it.
The sad part of this comment is that it comes 40 years after the piece of music was created. At the time, it was unbelievable and the power and attention on the album was great ... beginning to end ... non-stop. At the time, it was a massive mix of electronics and rock music ... and it helped put Larry Fast on the map!

I only have one comment ... their original version of "Marvelous Moses" was harder, louder and better! What is on the album and the live albums is already softened up.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
ster View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 19:06
My first post.
Nice timing for this thread. I am a new NeKtar fan. Discovered them listening to Pandora. I had my “Caravan Radio” station playing while doing work around my house and every time I had to stop and check what band was playing this incredible music that I wasn’t familiar it was Nektar. So far I have Journey, Tab and RTF. I love every single note. Great band. Hopefully they’ll tour again I’ll definitely go see them.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2016 at 22:26
Originally posted by Rockin rob Rockin rob wrote:

Tom: Thanks for the refresh on " Spread Your Wings" there is a nice guitar riff in the middle of the track that just stands out for me. The lyrics are also relevant to a situation I was in at the time. Again I appreciate Your input.
I'm always up for a yarn about Nektar - I don't spin them as often these days with all the new discoveries I happen upon, but this is one band close to my heart.
Man In The Moon is quite a decent album, it often cops a lot of flak........
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 13:37

So I scanned the booklet - here are the sections relevant to Geoff Emerick:

I generally only listen to the "original" mix, I suppose it's nice to that the alternate mix but if the band weren't happy with it, why should we be? 

I thought that maybe the Geoff Emerick mix we prior to Larry Fast adding his synth parts, but those were already laid down - looks like choir and some overdubs were added before the classic mix we are all familiar with? 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2016 at 14:01

Have it but haven't heard the Emerick mix yet. It's really that bad? Hmm.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2016 at 11:13
Hi,

the original "Recycled" as was in the LP is the important one. The other is not necessary, in my book, as you do not learn anything new about the band with it. Just seemed like wasted studio space for me.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Eradicus View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2017 at 01:14
I can credit Nektar with my introduction to prog rock, perhaps unusually enough; indeeed, the introduction itself I owe entirely to the wonders of modern musicology, because it was through Spotify Weekly and its superb playlist-building algorithms that an innate desire I never even knew I had  for prog rock was teased out of me. You see, I'd grown up in an environment that sneered and scorned prog rock at the very mention of the name. But this 20-minute masterpiece called Remember the Future, Pt 1 started playing one day, and by the time I'd finished with Pt 2, I was devoutly prog and everything it stood for and sounded like. 

I'll cut out an unnecessarily long meander through my encounters with each individual album but suffice it to say I have pretty much got the following playlist on endless repeat, when I'm not interspersing it with Yes, Jethro Tull or early Genesis. I think every single album I'm about to list has at least a handful of brilliant prog material. An absolute joy to listen to, and utterly criminal to not be more well known:
Journey to the Cente of the Eye (1971)
A Tab in the Ocean (1972)
Sounds Like This (1973) 
Remember the Future (1973) [how they released TWO albums of such quality in ONE year astounds me. And i'm also surprised that Sounds Like This hasn't got more of a mention]
Down to Earth (1974)
Recycled (1975)
Magic is a Child (1977)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345