Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive Close to the Edge?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live Close to the Edge?
    Posted: April 16 2015 at 12:25
I'm so cliché...Close to the Edge is my favorite prog song of all time.
Which live visual version of Close to the Edge is your favorite?     Since CTTE is my favorite song ever...I want the greatest Live Video Cut of all time!   But I'm on a cut rate progressive rock budget.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 16 2015 at 14:11
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 22:05
I guess there are 2... perhaps 3 options. First, the one on the Yessongs DVD, which is, sadly, a very underwhelming DVD because of it's low sound/visual quality and the short set-list, but has the classic (or almost classic) line-up of the band on it's heyday. Perhaps for a better performance (or at least recording) of the song, you could get the ABWH live DVD, with a still rather young band and with Bruford on drums (but without Squire); I don't remember well if there is a DVD of ABWH with Tony Levin on bass (there's a CD, that's for sure), but you might want to check that out before buying the more regular DVD which has some other bass player (from Bruford's own band, if I remember correctly). And then there's my very favourite version of the song... the one on the Symphonic DVD... the orchestra really adds a lot to the song, specially on the part originally played with the organ... sadly, this version doesn't feature Wakeman, which is a down (nor Bruford, of course)... but the performance is still really brilliant and wonderful (this concert also features a brilliant version of Gates of Delirium, by the way, easily my very favourite one, even over the original with Patrick Moraz).
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2015 at 23:59
ABWH. Bruford or bust. Jeff Berlin sounds so good on the intro.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 00:47
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess there are 2... perhaps 3 options. First, the one on the Yessongs DVD, which is, sadly, a very underwhelming DVD because of it's low sound/visual quality and the short set-list, but has the classic (or almost classic) line-up of the band on it's heyday. Perhaps for a better performance (or at least recording) of the song, you could get the ABWH live DVD, with a still rather young band and with Bruford on drums (but without Squire); I don't remember well if there is a DVD of ABWH with Tony Levin on bass (there's a CD, that's for sure), but you might want to check that out before buying the more regular DVD which has some other bass player (from Bruford's own band, if I remember correctly). And then there's my very favourite version of the song... the one on the Symphonic DVD... the orchestra really adds a lot to the song, specially on the part originally played with the organ... sadly, this version doesn't feature Wakeman, which is a down (nor Bruford, of course)... but the performance is still really brilliant and wonderful (this concert also features a brilliant version of Gates of Delirium, by the way, easily my very favourite one, even over the original with Patrick Moraz).

ABWH. Bruford or bust. Jeff Berlin sounds so good on the intro.

Thank you for taking the time and care to answer my question...I've heard good things about the ABWH version with Jeff Berlin...  I like the Gates of Delirium a lot, and that sounds like an excellent bonus...I met ABWH in Dallas sans Levin.   I had tickets to the show, but alas Levin was taken ill and it was before Berlin signed on to replace him,  so since the band was in Dallas they signed records at a store...Jon Anderson was very nice and he gazed deep into the eyes of each person he spoke with...Jon glowed, and I said, " I hope you live a long happy life and create as much love, music, and light as the Universe allows."  And Jon said,

" I exist to share and I'm so excited and very lucky to connect with so many wonderful people through music."Smile
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 01:49
I don't have an opinion on the AWBH version as I don't have it but otherwise I agree with what Dellinger says. That Yessongs DVD is awful , just avoid. Yes Symphonic is an essential DVD. I bought the Blu Ray version as soon as it was available. There is not a more pleasurable way to spend 3 hours.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 08:57
I have Yes live at QPR (1975)...Good version, but NOT visually stunning Tongue Avoid that one.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:12

Agreed about the quality of CTTE on the Symphonic DVD and the version of Gates of Delirium is indeed brilliant.  Throw in an excellent version of Ritual and top-notch versions of Starship Trooper and And You and I and you have a great concert to watch.

You can save some cash by viewing the ABWH live show in its entirety on youtube.  But don't tell them I sent you.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 09:29
Yessongs is not very good at all. I'm surprised they even released it. That said, the best ones are always the bootleg records, but if you want high quality, just go with ABWH.
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 10:03
I've never liked the way Alan White played CTTE.  He takes some of the bite out of what Bruford concocted.
Since the ABWH show is the only Bruford CTTE performance I know of on video, I have to go with that one.
Jeff Berlin was filling in for an ailing Tony Levin on that show, and had just learned the parts.  I saw Tony with ABWH not too long before the taped show, and he was spectacular.  The bass/drum solo he and Bruford performed (similar to the one they did on some of the KC shows - not part of CTTE) was amazing.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 10:51
Saw the ABWH show in '89 at Los Angeles' Greek Theater, and Jeff Berlin was apparently a quick study-he filled in quite nicely, but that was no surprise because I enjoy his work with Bill Bruford. I think Tony Levin was the right man for post-'74 Crimso, but his take on the earlier classics done live in the two Crimso shows I saw him play were over the top and a little annoying (Red, for example). And what makes the Symphonic Music of Yes CD that more special is Bruford's performance on it. A key asset for that album. Anyway, my vote goes for the Yessongs album's And You And I, even if it has the newly acquired Alan White playing on it instead of the recently departed Bruford. A classic Yes era caught live.
The Sloth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 11:59
I don't like how Alan White plays any of Bruford's parts. He's had a weird habit of taking the exact thing that made a drum part cool, and evening it out into a generic rock beat. And yeah, without all the dynamic switches and nuance, the versions of CTTT with him sound very crowded. Especially that one with Moraz playing all of Wakeman's parts like Yes is a swing band.
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2015 at 13:51

i pretty much would say the same exact thing as this. it's also my favorite prog song of all time...actually my favorite song PERIOD!!
Progrockdude
 Post Reply Post Reply