Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums/Artists influenced by The Beatles Revolver
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAlbums/Artists influenced by The Beatles Revolver

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums/Artists influenced by The Beatles Revolver
    Posted: April 25 2015 at 06:51
Influenced by a topic regarding The Beach Boys Pet Sound influence on rock music.  However, it appears Revolver meaning any song from the album seems to have influenced everyone from The Grateful Dead to Hendrix to The Monkees.

Edited by NYSPORTSFAN - April 25 2015 at 06:53
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 10:29
It's probably easier to ask who wasn't influenced by Revolver as the album's influences are multi faceted. Not only were The Beatles breaking down barriers in Rock Music song composition and structure, the influence of Revolver also branched out to setting a standard that a whole album of stellar songs would be a norm instead of a curio as was found on the preceding Pet Sounds and Rubber Soul albums. Break through recording technologies and experimentation would become the norm, and many maintain that Revolver was the starting point of  British Psychedelic Rock and was a major pioneer of PA's subgenre of Proto Prog, which grew out of Revolver Psych Rock songs like Tomorrow Never Knows.
I've noticed in the past your extreme interest in the Revolver album and there are an incredible number of books written about it, but unfortunately cover the same ground. Anything written by Mark Lewisohn such as The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions covers much of the back story of the album's songs as well as a fascinating look at how many of the songs were done almost ad hoc, with off the cuff thinking, such as the afore mentioned Tomorrow Never Knows. 
A simple example of how powerful Revolver was is to consider if an album like Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix, released in 1967, would have been possible if Revolver did not proceed it. 

Please keep in mind that The Beatles were not the only ones thinking out of box in 1966 as demonstrated by Zappa's first album Freak Out! as just one example.

Edited by SteveG - April 27 2015 at 15:51
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 11:20
^ Funny, when I read the subject title my first though was "Everyone who came after it"
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
NYSPORTSFAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 12:33
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

It's probably easier to ask who wasn't influenced by Revolver as the album's influences are multi faceted. Not only were The Beatles breaking down barriers in Rock Music song composition and structure, the influence of Revolver also branched out to setting a standard that a whole album of stellar songs would be a norm instead of a curio as was found on the preceding Pet Sounds and Rubber Soul albums. Break through recording technologies and experimentation would become the norm, and many maintain that Revolver was the starting point of  British Psychedelic Rock and was a major pioneer of PA's subgenre of Proto Prog, which grew out of Revolver Psych Rock songs like Tomorrow Never Knows.
I've noticed in the past your extreme interest in the Revolver album and there are an incredible number of books written about it, but unfortunately cover the same ground. Anything written by Mark Lewisohn such as The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions covers much of the back story of the album's songs as well as a fascinating look at how many of the songs were done almost ad hoc, with off the cuff thinking, such as the afore mentioned Tomorrow Never Knows. 
A simple example of how powerful Revolver was is consider if an album like Are You Experienced by Jimi Hendrix, released in 1967, would have been possible if Revolver did not proceed it. 

Please keep in mind that The Beatles were not the only ones thinking out of box in 1966 as demonstrated by Zappa's first album Freak Out! as just one example.

Great post and very informative as usual by you. I grew up in the grunge era and was actually influenced to listened to The Beatles, Hendrix  Pink Floyd etc.. from the bands that name picked them.

I have to be honest when I hear a song like "Taxman" with it's funk bass line over a heavily fuzz guitar tone and overtly political lyrics it's sounds very modern to my ears compared to what preceded it. Now I have been listening to The Byrds "Eight Miles High" and The Yardbirds "Shapes of Things" which are great songs in it's own right but it sounds of it's era that preceded Revolver.

However, I hear "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Taxman" it seems those tracks belong in another era.
 Post Reply Post Reply