Topic ClosedTime vs Roundabout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Choose one)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
45 [56.25%]
35 [43.75%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 00:54
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Had Roger played a Ricky bass on Time, I'd probably vote for that, but he didn't, and Roundabout sounds just soooo great with Squire and his Ricky, so I guess I vote for the Yessong !!

As much as I love Floyd, really, Waters just couldn't have made a Ricky sound as great as Squire does. They are just in different leagues altogether.
Why, of course this is the case. I'm sure Rog used a Ricky on the debut Floyd, but with minimal treble ??
I suppose, either way, Time probably wouldn't sound quite right with a crunchy bass tone. It is a superb tune, my 2nd fave track from DSOTM. Naturally, Any Colour You Like is the jewel in the crown for me. And Dark Side isn't my ultimate Floyd album, Fragile on the other hand, is ONE of my fave Yes albums.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 16:44
They are? They do? It is? I do?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 22:40

Had Roger played a Ricky bass on Time, I'd probably vote for that, but he didn't, and Roundabout sounds just soooo great with Squire and his Ricky, so I guess I vote for the Yessong !!

As much as I love Floyd, really, Waters just couldn't have made a Ricky sound as great as Squire does. They are just in different leagues altogether.
Why, of course this is the case. I'm sure Rog used a Ricky on the debut Floyd, but with minimal treble ??
I suppose, either way, Time probably wouldn't sound quite right with a crunchy bass tone. It is a superb tune, my 2nd fave track from DSOTM. Naturally, Any Colour You Like is the jewel in the crown for me. And Dark Side isn't my ultimate Floyd album, Fragile on the other hand, is ONE of my fave Yes albums.

I'm not sure I would call "Any Colour you Like" the crowning jewel of Dark Side (even if I do like the song a lot myself... but so do I like many others on the album)... however, I like much better the live version on the new edition from the album a few year ago.
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2015 at 23:17

I'm not sure I would call "Any Colour you Like" the crowning jewel of Dark Side (even if I do like the song a lot myself... but so do I like many others on the album)... however, I like much better the live version on the new edition from the album a few year ago.
Ummm... Any Colour? Crown Jewel?? Are we listening to the same song???
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 01:31
I love i.e. Pink Floyd - "Time" 1973 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTJdn2u9vkI
but I like Yes Roundabout more, even dedicated that song to friends of mine who live in Milton Keynes because they have so many roundabouts instead of traffic lights Smile
Kidding aside, hands down between both tracks My choice is this: YesSongs #7: YES - Roundabout https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZoQFYYx8U&list=PLMyHPEAFkfwNPMqYiJmkWrL_6652YRjpe&index=4 xxxxxxxx
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2015 at 07:47
Definitely Roundabout, even though Time is a pretty good song too.
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 11:47
Roundabout got me into prog. Small wonder which I voted for.Tongue
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 12:09

I'm in agreement about Any Colour You Like, I love the guitar on that song. Clap
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2015 at 12:19
Roundabout is a cool track.

But Time is one of those songs that keeps me going.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 06:19
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

I'm in agreement about Any Colour You Like, I love the guitar on that song. Clap
and the synth (VCS3 ?? - don't think Rick had a mini-moog yet) - the way it's set with the delay effect - just superb. In fact, thinking about this album, I never really liked the final 2 tracks much, the rest of the album is fantastic.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 22:20

and the synth (VCS3 ?? - don't think Rick had a mini-moog yet) - the way it's set with the delay effect - just superb. In fact, thinking about this album, I never really liked the final 2 tracks much, the rest of the album is fantastic.

Oh, I do love those last two tracks... but for me they are one same song... if you take them apart they just don't work at all. The songs I like the least on this album are Money and On the Run... and Breath in the Air isn't as great as other stuff in the album either. However, taken into context of the album, they work perfectly fine too.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2015 at 23:09
^Money and Any Colour You Like are probably my two favorites from DSotM, however the whole album is a masterpiece. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 01:08
^ O.K. - I can agree.....
Take ANY one track off this album and it just wouldn't be the same.
In fact, I don't think I've met many (if any) folks who DON'T know this album. Such is the phenomenal success of this slab of creative Prog. I still can only muster a 4 star rate for it.........O.K. - 4.5 would be about right. I think listening to this album (quite possibly the most heard Prog album in my life, hearing it hundreds of times even before I was into music, as such) has probably lessened it for me. But just by a smidge.......
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 10:05

^Money and Any Colour You Like are probably my two favorites from DSotM, however the whole album is a masterpiece. 
I'm curious why my least favourite song on DSotM (Any Colour) is so popular?

Edited by sublime220 - May 12 2015 at 10:05
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 11:28
^It isn't all that popular from what I've seen. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123