Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDark Side Of the Moon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2015 at 22:06
On High-School, when I was interested about getting into Floyd, a friend lent me some tapes with music from them... one of the was Dark Side, if I remember well. Actually, I wasn't so impressed... well, most of Pink Floyd took me some time to getting into it... though once I got into them, they became my favourite band. However, Dark Side has never become my favourite from them... I do apreciate it much better than at the beginning, but I like WYWH, Animals, and even Division Bell much more.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 00:37
I was 15-16 years old, attending Spanish Springs High School in Sparks, Nevada. I was in awe of Rick's writing for and playing on "The Great Gig In The Sky" and Dave's solo on "Time", and I found something profound about the obvious like "Why should I be frightened of dying? There is no reason for it. You gotta go some time." That dynamic peak on "Speak To Me/Breathe" felt like a wash of a wave.

I still can't get into some of the tracks on that album. It's those three that blew me away at the time.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - May 06 2015 at 00:38
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 07:57
I heard bits and pieces of it in school and radio at that time and wanted more of it.  I traded a 3 Dog Night "8-track" tape for DSOTM with a buddy of mine who did not like it.  I listened to it in its entirety for the first time in my room on a pair of the old Koss Pro 4AA headphone cans, I was blown away!

Best trade I ever made....
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 08:58
Yes i remember, but im not sure excatly when it was, is was before "Wish You Were Here" came out.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 09:46
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Yes i remember, but im not sure excatly when it was, is was before "Wish You Were Here" came out.

Ummm...maybe that is because DSotM was the album released just before WYWH? It's just a guess.Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 10:28
I'm dating myself, but I was a high school sophomore when Dark Side' first came out and heard it around that time at a weekend party in an exclusive neighborhood of east San Diego county (I myself was from down by the tracks). The hostess put it on and let both sides play, and it was pretty much background music for a bunch of kids swilling beer. I sat across the living room on the floor next to one of the speakers and took it all in, knowing that what I was hearing sounded like an instant classic. Was listening to a couple of its tracks just last night off of Echoes.

Edited by Rednight - May 06 2015 at 11:05
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2015 at 12:18
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

I heard bits and pieces of it in school and radio at that time and wanted more of it.  I traded a 3 Dog Night "8-track" tape for DSOTM with a buddy of mine who did not like it.  I listened to it in its entirety for the first time in my room on a pair of the old Koss Pro 4AA headphone cans, I was blown away!

Best trade I ever made....

A good trade for sure.....Mine were also Koss, but don't remember the model. They were beige in color with either a black or brown coil cable.
The plastic ear covers would stick to your skin with a bit of sweat......talk about suction cups  LOL
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 10:16
^ Mine were like olive color with a thick black coiled cable.  The ear pads were liquid filled if I remember correct, yeah they would leave a ring around the ear when you took them off LOL

To be honest I only remembered the Koss Pro 4 something or other and had google the rest of model number Embarrassed.

By the way, really enjoying my Audio Technica headphones that you and others helped me decide on a few months ago in another thread.  One of the first things I listened to on them was DSOTM!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2015 at 10:32
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^ Mine were like olive color with a thick black coiled cable.  The ear pads were liquid filled if I remember correct, yeah they would leave a ring around the ear when you took them off LOL

To be honest I only remembered the Koss Pro 4 something or other and had google the rest of model number Embarrassed.

By the way, really enjoying my Audio Technica headphones that you and others helped me decide on a few months ago in another thread.  One of the first things I listened to on them was DSOTM!

Long live Google searching!! LOL

Super glad you are enjoying the AT headphones....Audio Technica has always been for me excellent value for your money. Their phono cartridges for example perform well above price point...Thumbs Up
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 05:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Ummm...maybe that is because DSotM was the album released just before WYWH? It's just a guess.Wink

Yes that is what im saying : between 10. marts 1973 & 15.september 1975
I know because my older brother got Wish, shortly after release and by that time i had been listning to Dark side many times.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 07:18
Upon it's release, still have some of the stickers that came with the original LP.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
sublime220 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2015 at 14:36
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Upon it's release, still have some of the stickers that came with the original LP.
I still have all the stickers and the two posters that came with it are up on my wall Big smile
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12