Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFavorite music blogs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite music blogs?
    Posted: May 11 2015 at 22:00
Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone here reads music blogs. Does anyone have a favorite? Because there are so many out there, I'm curious to see if anyone comes up with a blog I haven't heard of.
Don't forget to check out my rock/metal music blog! Please share with those who will enjoy!
http://kenoalbumreview.wordpress.com
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2015 at 03:33
Black Ivory Tower is worth a look if you're interested in lengthy in-depth analysis of black metal's artier side and industrial/neofolk/noise with a perspective of how the records fit into a larger cultural history's context. I think I posted a link to their essay on Klaus Schulze's X once on this forum, on account of him being an important innovator within the experimental electronic music tradition that industrial music is descended from.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 00:53
I really enjoy reading the The Cynical Musician. Well, "enjoy" is a tad strong word since the focus of the blog is the decline of the music industry, but I find it very well written and researched.

The author Krzysztof Wiszniewski (Faza) is the guitarist of Polish hard rock band Viridian (they have a very good 28 minute EP "Through the Looking Glass and Beyond..." on CD Baby; it's quite proggy) and also has a degree in economics, which comes in handy when explaining why various new proposed funding models (ex. streaming, giving away music and selling merchandise, crowdfunding) are not viable.

He also includes references to other music blogs during his posts or under the Recommended Reading section.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2015 at 01:59
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Black Ivory Tower is worth a look if you're interested in lengthy in-depth analysis of black metal's artier side and industrial/neofolk/noise with a perspective of how the records fit into a larger cultural history's context.

http://blackivorytower.com/2015/03/01/the-primordial-critic/

Pretty erudite stuff for a metal blog.

Edited by Atavachron - October 07 2015 at 02:00
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply