Topic ClosedSomething Irritating

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 10:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

We went from having about 7 shops that sold records in our rather small town in the late 70's early 80's, if you include the likes of Boots and Fenwicks which actually had pretty large record sections, to having literally not one shop or market stall that even cells second hand CD's now...

Last time I went into HMV I looked at the rows of CDs (and vinyls) and and thought, meh, that's too much effort looking for stuff I know won't be there... Whatever the fascination or attraction for flipping through stacks of albums was for me, (and heaven only knows the hours in my life I have spent doing that), it's gone now.

The last big HMV I went into was in Newcastle, last year I think. I was quite impressed by the selection. Nothing I hadn't seen before of course, I just didn't think I'd ever see such a big record shop again. Nice posters and tee shirt selection too..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 12:04
I used to spend hours of my youth doing that, it's not quite the same in the internet age.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 15:13
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

do they live in areas where they're the only ones to listen to records?
Yes

Do they live in families where no one except them has some records?
Yes

Aren't there some record stores in which you can listen to said records (would it be with headphones, in cabins or with the store owner...)?
None at a reasonable distance

Last thing: in France, one can rent CDs (and DVDs) in the public libraries, just like with books.
Good luck finding any Prog album on a public library here Confused
Librarians tend to be pretty nice people, some of my best friends are librarians, and most public libraries are open to suggestions.  They buy for many reasons, and sometimes all you have to do is ask.  No guarantees, though.  Also, many library systems have connections to other library systems, which enhances your chance of finding some Prog.  I have checked out Yes, Ian Anderson, Steven Wilson, ELP, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd, and many others Prog and not from local libraries, including newly released material.  Like old fashioned record stores, the occasional gem could be lurking anywhere.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 15:39
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

do they live in areas where they're the only ones to listen to records?
Yes

Do they live in families where no one except them has some records?
Yes

Aren't there some record stores in which you can listen to said records (would it be with headphones, in cabins or with the store owner...)?
None at a reasonable distance

Last thing: in France, one can rent CDs (and DVDs) in the public libraries, just like with books.
Good luck finding any Prog album on a public library here Confused
Librarians tend to be pretty nice people, some of my best friends are librarians, and most public libraries are open to suggestions.  They buy for many reasons, and sometimes all you have to do is ask.  No guarantees, though.  Also, many library systems have connections to other library systems, which enhances your chance of finding some Prog.  I have checked out Yes, Ian Anderson, Steven Wilson, ELP, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Dream Theater, Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd, and many others Prog and not from local libraries, including newly released material.  Like old fashioned record stores, the occasional gem could be lurking anywhere.
I've actually seen Meshuggah and Opeth albums at my library; as well as Mother of Invention albums. 
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 16:20
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I'm slightly disturbed by people discovering music on YouTube: do they live in areas where they're the only ones to listen to records? Do they live in families where no one except them has some records? Aren't there some record stores in which you can listen to said records (would it be with headphones, in cabins or with the store owner...)?

Last thing: in France, one can rent CDs (and DVDs) in the public libraries, just like with books. Such a system doesn't exist in the USA?

Public library for CDs, what is that? LOL  I am probably the only fool in my 200-strong office who still buys CDs and obviously my parents have long since lost interest in buying them.  There WERE record stores but most of them have gone down and the few remaining ones will pretty shortly.  That has not so much to do with downloading, in fact, but Itunes and ecommerce.  It is so much easier for people to legally acquire their music through online avenues that they wouldn't care to go down to a store to do so.  Anyway, there was only one store in my city that did stock a good collection of prog and I picked up as much of it as I could afford before it too went down.  Dead  Now even the top eretailer in our country doesn't seem to be too keen on stocking CDs of not so well known bands (which means most prog rock) so for new bands, I am dependent on bandcamp.  

oh no, a public library owns them along with books and DVDs, and now Blu-rays as well (there also of course used to be VHS tapes too; god how much i miss them). by the way i mainly speak of the ones that are around where i live.
Progrockdude
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 16:28
Originally posted by Michael678 Michael678 wrote:

that's funny, i actually do that myself as the main way to get into a new band/artist that some sort of "prog" connection (no matter how small it may appear to be). there's only a couple of Yes (well, one as of now, that being the 90125 album), some Rush, lots of Pink Floyd, one ELP album (Works, Volume 1), one King Crimson album (The Power to Believe), some Peter Gabriel, a couple from Genesis (including Seconds Out), some Dream Theater (their latest stuff anyway), and that's all i know of at least. and that's from the public libraries in the three counties i live in (one of them anyway lol).
That's a nice selection already and that's also not a very obvious choice for a KC album Tongue Actually, the first time I listened to Pink Floyd was on the high school library, they had a copy of Echoes. I also played their copy of Led Zeppelin IV a few times... I did find something good after all LOL
About the topic, the first time I listened to most KC albums was on Youtube, when it was still possible to find them, and I bought four LP's from them so far (ITCOTCK, Lizard, Islands, Red). I discovered so many great music through streaming services but I end up buying the albums (although I could only afford buying them recently, before that it was only on birthdays and christmas Tongue)
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I haven't been in a library in quite some time, you are probably right Ermm
Michael678 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 17:35

that's funny, i actually do that myself as the main way to get into a new band/artist that some sort of "prog" connection (no matter how small it may appear to be). there's only a couple of Yes (well, one as of now, that being the 90125 album), some Rush, lots of Pink Floyd, one ELP album (Works, Volume 1), one King Crimson album (The Power to Believe), some Peter Gabriel, a couple from Genesis (including Seconds Out), some Dream Theater (their latest stuff anyway), and that's all i know of at least. and that's from the public libraries in the three counties i live in (one of them anyway lol).
That's a nice selection already and that's also not a very obvious choice for a KC album Tongue Actually, the first time I listened to Pink Floyd was on the high school library, they had a copy of Echoes. I also played their copy of Led Zeppelin IV a few times... I did find something good after all LOL
About the topic, the first time I listened to most KC albums was on Youtube, when it was still possible to find them, and I bought four LP's from them so far (ITCOTCK, Lizard, Islands, Red). I discovered so many great music through streaming services but I end up buying the albums (although I could only afford buying them recently, before that it was only on birthdays and christmas Tongue)

1. Shocked OMFG so do i right now!!! i usually get most of my stuff during my birthmonth and christmas time. i need to have these in my collection ASAP!!!!!!

2. Led Zeppelin IV is fantastic indeed!

3. did you mean Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd or something, because that got me into Pink Floyd too; also need to have that in my collection for that reason (plus the artwork is awesome as usual, along with the inclusion of Arnold Layne).

Progrockdude
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 17:59

1. Shocked OMFG so do i right now!!! i usually get most of my stuff during my birthmonth and christmas time. i need to have these in my collection ASAP!!!!!!

2. Led Zeppelin IV is fantastic indeed!

3. did you mean Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd or something, because that got me into Pink Floyd too; also need to have that in my collection for that reason (plus the artwork is awesome as usual, along with the inclusion of Arnold Layne).

I think that's a very common situation Tongue I spent so much time like that, that I bought around 80 albums since I started working 6 months ago Embarrassed

What LZ album isn't? Wink

Yep, that's the one, although I find the edited versions of the tracks annoying now Confused The artwork is indeed awesome though Smile
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 19:20

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I'm slightly disturbed by people discovering music on YouTube: do they live in areas where they're the only ones to listen to records? Do they live in families where no one except them has some records? Aren't there some record stores in which you can listen to said records (would it be with headphones, in cabins or with the store owner...)?

Last thing: in France, one can rent CDs (and DVDs) in the public libraries, just like with books. Such a system doesn't exist in the USA?

Public library for CDs, what is that? LOL  I am probably the only fool in my 200-strong office who still buys CDs and obviously my parents have long since lost interest in buying them.  There WERE record stores but most of them have gone down and the few remaining ones will pretty shortly.  That has not so much to do with downloading, in fact, but Itunes and ecommerce.  It is so much easier for people to legally acquire their music through online avenues that they wouldn't care to go down to a store to do so.  Anyway, there was only one store in my city that did stock a good collection of prog and I picked up as much of it as I could afford before it too went down.  Dead  Now even the top eretailer in our country doesn't seem to be too keen on stocking CDs of not so well known bands (which means most prog rock) so for new bands, I am dependent on bandcamp.  

oh no, a public library owns them along with books and DVDs, and now Blu-rays as well (there also of course used to be VHS tapes too; god how much i miss them). by the way i mainly speak of the ones that are around where i live.

I get that but we never had the concept of borrowing MUSIC CDs.  As long as tapes were there, they were so affordable you didn't need a library to lend them out.  And once tapes died out, consumption of music through 'legal' means too sank.  We did used to have those sort of combined libraries or exclusive rent-a-movie shops but music was never offered in these libraries.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2015 at 19:23
By the by, I do know that you can borrow music in libraries in America because my cousin sis used to borrow music from her college library.  I was just being deliberately obtuse since the library is becoming increasingly obsolete here.  

Edited by rogerthat - June 01 2015 at 19:24
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123