Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSteven Wilson, June 20, 2015 in Vancouver.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Steven Wilson, June 20, 2015 in Vancouver.
    Posted: June 23 2015 at 15:41
This was my first time seeing Steven Wilson and apparently his first time ever in Vancouver.  I took my g/f who is, er, open to liking him, but not very familiar with his material.  For me, I had never heard of him a year ago, am reasonably familiar with his latest release and less of Raven.  I also know FOABP and IA from Porcupine Tree.  Steven Himself presented as warm, engaging and interested in his audience.

Although this was not perfect for me, I felt he put on a great show, with lots of use of video to enhance the performed tracks.  He played everything from Hand. Cannot. Erase.  along with selections from earlier releases and a couple of older PT tracks.  Routine was probably the first high point for me, really dynamic despite Ninet Tayeb being dubbed in (he was very open about this) .  The video for this song is extremely sad and I found myself moved to tears for the first time ever at a concert.  Both Home Invasion/Regret#9 and Ancestral were used for extended jams; not too long and gave the band members a chance to show their chops.  I really missed the flutes in Ancestral but the band continued to increase the intensity by reworking the post 8 minute mark with different instruments/keys dominating.  Overall, his music seemed a lot heavier in concert. 

In the last third or so of the show, a gigantic, sheer curtain dropped in front of the stage, obscuring the band for several songs, only to drop for The Raven Who Refused to Sing.  I thought this was a cool effect (shades of The Wall?) but my girlfriend hated it and felt disconnected.  Another surprising high point for me was PT's Sleep Together, not normally a favorite of mine.  This was far more dynamic in concert and I was better able to appreciate the synth sounds.  Some people behind me felt that the concert was 'a little too metal.'  overall, though, I felt I found 'my people,' if the Opeth, Jethro Tull, Anathema, King Crimson, etc shirts were any indicator.  The crowd seemed evenly mixed with a range of about ages 20-60ish.

Overall, a great show that increased my respect and appreciation for Mr. Wilson.
More heavy prog, please!
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2015 at 12:32
Steve Wilson's concert Calgary, Alberta marked the first time he has been to Cowtown in any capacity and he was visibly pleased by the turnout that had to be moved to a larger venue due to demand. The show was spectacular in that it was loaded with surprises, namely Dave Kilminster on guitar and Craig Blundell on drums as well as some funny banter from Steve , who possesses a gifted tongue strategically placed in cheek. A few tidbits: " First time here, shocked by seeing so many fans of my music, sorry we have never come here before and we will return!" , " I love sad songs, sad songs make me happy and happy songs make me feel F***ing miserable (Loud)" and while introducing band member Blundell, someone screamed out rather foolishly "Marco is overrated!"  to which he replied sternly "Marco is NOT overrated but this guy is f***ing good!".The crowd was quite passive until the very end and exploded into a frenzy , so he said "Calgary! you have been very quiet and now you peaked, just like my ex-girlfriend! " PRICELESS! 
The concert was even better than the Hand,Cannot. Erase album, certainly more brittle and energetic,the  brilliant playing (Wilson: "I am the least talented musician on stage" and the video backdrops enhanced the powerful material, namely on the excruciatingly sad "Routine" that had the audience by the throat. My man Nick Beggs just proved what a fab bassist he is, as well as really getting into it visually. 
A sizzling concert by a masterful crew, my GF stated that the level of musicianship was something beyond her capacity to even fathom!  It was her first intro into live prog and , well, she just might never listen to anything else. Hug

Edited by tszirmay - June 25 2015 at 12:33
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
fxdregs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 09:37
Was at the Vancouver show as well. Nothing short of brilliant. The sound was almost perfect.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 19:17
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

, I had never heard of him a year ago

LOL now that is a hanging curve ball over the heart of the plate if I was a bad boy.. well I am.. let's just say that if I was an a****le.

hmm..  Well I  can be that as well..

Glad you enjoyed the show. Clap I've seen him twice.. and was bored stiff both times LOL

Loved his hair though... always was jealous of that.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply