Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLosing Hope In PA's Top Album Lists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 21:56
P.A. Serves as a guide to prog music, they are the most credible site and have the most extensive collection of info and music/albums
We are not sheep, i.e. recent pop music, we all here, I assume, ignore it and instead listen to prog moozik of our personal taste or music prog genre choice Big smileHug

Edited by Kati - June 26 2015 at 22:05
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 03:36
Who are "Losing Hope"? What's their album called? 
What?
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 03:46
I do take an active effort to promote new groups I think deserve more of an audience here, in particular if I find them to have well thought out original takes on their genres. Earlier this week I started a thread about the progressive sludge metal group Inter Arma, who had a new record out in Autumn last year titled The Cavern, which is very ambitious and interesting. Though officially an EP, it's one single 45-minute composition... like a sludge metal Thick as a Brick! Thing is that so far it's only one person who's replied.

For the record I don't listen to quite as much 1960s/1970s music as I used to but more from the last 20 years or so, which I guess means I'm somewhat out of synch with many people here's cultural frames of reference. My recent last.fm playlists show very little music from before the 1980s, and that which is there is from artists who are recognized today as ahead of their time.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - June 28 2015 at 03:51
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 10:34
When I first got into Prog I searched every top ten, top 100 list I could find just to get varying opinions. I've used other reviewers opinions a lot as well but yeah I feel like I always do my homework and I still get music I really could care less if I ever hear again. There's no perfect way to do this although with all the samples available on YouTube and streaming sites at least you can listen before you buy. All lists are popularity contests but to this day I still enjoy looking at them and i'm still finding new(to me) albums from the seventies and later.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 20:16
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Oh and I listened to that Northlands album too, Austin, and found it extremely sleep inducing. I wouldn't rate it above To be Kind or Twilight Cinema either, but I think a lot of peeps on here would. Another thing worth mentioning is that neither of the latter two albums sound like classic prog rock....Northlands does. I think a lot of PA members got their hands on To be Kind after having read all those wonderful reviews, only to feel cheated when they first played it 'That's not prog momma!!!!!' WTF!?!?!?!!!'....which then translates into bad ratings. On the other hand, it seems like the members who bought Northlands knew what they were getting into.

Major Parkinson and Swans are divisive acts just like Can is. Took me a long time to understand why Tago Mago didn't feature in our top 100, but it came to me eventually: when music starts veering too far away from the symph prog mold you are going to get very scattered opinions.

For a more interesting way to make lists (which I also do), then experiment with the filters. I often use the one that deals with the amount of ratings and set it to maximum 50 or 20 ratings. A whole new world opens up.

Right on the money. I have little interest in listening to/purchasing that a Northlands album. It features Steve Hackett, a big name that I've lost faith in. But most of those who buy that album are those that are expecting to like what they find, and they're probably right. But To Be Kind and Twilight Cinema are from names that less people in the prog realm know. The reviews and descriptions pique their interest, but the purchase is more of a gamble. Not to say that the music can't be appreciated on its own merit by people besides avantmanic sadomasochists. But you can't expect everyone who buys an album they are unsure about to love what they here. Especially on first listen.
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 20:36
Lets face it, a lot of people into post rock aren't into IQ or early 70s prog, in which a site named Prog Archives would tend to attract. Same for some of the extreme metal fans & electronic fans. My sister went to a NIN show, saw Explosions in the Sky open and really dug them and wanted to learn more about them. She wouldn't think to come to this site for info, as she doesn't really listen to prog outside of a few well known bands (Floyd & such).
I'm guessing the majority of post rock fans on this site are also fans of a lot of famous prog acts in general. 
I tend to discover new bands these days here through being a collaborator screening stuff moreso than perusing lists.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2015 at 21:07
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Who are "Losing Hope"? What's their album called? 
hahahaha Dean, you are very naughty, you even made me doubt the topic after reading what you said LOL
mhwoaaahhxxx plus a big hug Hug
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 08:40
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Lets face it, a lot of people into post rock aren't into IQ or early 70s prog, in which a site named Prog Archives would tend to attract. Same for some of the extreme metal fans & electronic fans. My sister went to a NIN show, saw Explosions in the Sky open and really dug them and wanted to learn more about them. She wouldn't think to come to this site for info, as she doesn't really listen to prog outside of a few well known bands (Floyd & such).
I'm guessing the majority of post rock fans on this site are also fans of a lot of famous prog acts in general. 
I tend to discover new bands these days here through being a collaborator screening stuff moreso than perusing lists.

I've noticed those generation gaps grow more and more readily apparent the longer I've been an active contributor to the forum, hence why I in the last couple years have written so many posts on them. Probably also not coincidence this forum has a much higher median age than most of the music message boards I've been to, nor does it help that my musical horizons become newer.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 17:06
we're all doomed, doomed I say...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12