10 [13.33%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 07:27
LOLThumbs Up
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 15:32
Well, Franco Battiato's album surely sounds like high quality music.
Problem is, I need more listens to let the songs sink in.
I like the instrumentation though, the atmosphere and the adventure.

Le Orme: if it was Contrappunti (my favorite Orme album) I would almost certainly have voted for it.
Uome Di Pezza is nice, I always enjoyed listening to it, but I won't vote for it.

Present does nothing for me.

Okay, Supertramp it is. Wonderful album!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:11
the best medium for listening to that is in the dark, with headphones with a glass of wine in hand.  To me it is as close as one can come to taking leave of your  mind and body without doing illegal substances LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 16:46
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the best medium for listening to that is in the dark, with headphones with a glass of wine in hand.  To me it is as close as one can come to taking leave of your  mind and body without doing illegal substances LOL

Okay! Sounds like an experiment I could take. I need some good Italian wine, though, Nebbiolo or Sangiovese
It does sound like an album I need to listen more to. Some albums only give away their secrets after many listening sessions.
Was it an album that immediately struck a chord with you, Mick?

Edited by Moogtron III - July 02 2015 at 16:46
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:07
Supertramp
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:11
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Was it an album that immediately struck a chord with you, Mick?

on the first listen by Sequenze e Frequenze... blown away especially by the section starting about 9 and half minutes with the mournful drone of the VCS 3.. brilliant.. so full of colors. The rest of album is not quite as visceral... what it is is more celebral.

I failed in my attempt to convey that in my review.. the way Sequenze e Frequenze can transport  a listener to a different world... a different state of mind.. however I thought Raff NAILED the 2nd half of the album in her review.

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=204371

v bah LOL

t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 17:57
Tonight I am going to cook the Wombet a deboned leg of lamb stuffed with sundry herbs and pine nuts. Minor sacrilege but wine will have to be a Tempronillo. I'm sure Sr Battiatto would not approve but Spanish it is going to be. Then methinks, when I'm well fed and semi sozzled it will be out with the headphones.

How Battiatto got past me I have no idea cos electronic is a big love of mine. Maybe I've spent too much time listening to the usual suspects. I've listened to this album a couple of times at work and it most certainly does grow on you.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2015 at 18:05
Clap awesome man... and went you get this one.. there are his other albums.. all different.. all quite interesting
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 10:46
This poll is too difficult and I really need to add the Battiato CD to my collection.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 14:20
Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 15:26
OK, I did it. Damn,  Sulle Corde de Aries does just get betterer and betterer. I'm digging deeper into the great man's works. I know it is utterly sinful but the first listens were through computer speakers at suitable for the office vollume. Through headphones or a decent system at disturb the koalas levels .... oh my.

His later stuff may not be PR but damn it is still lovely. My musical tastes travel far and wide beyond PR so excuse the slide Off Topic but it must be said that even (even ?) stuff like his Baghdad concert (You Tube only alas) is really quite gorgeous.

Owe you a beer Mickey.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 15:38
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

OK, I did it. Damn,  Sulle Corde de Aries does just get betterer and betterer. I'm digging deeper into the great man's works. I know it is utterly sinful but the first listens were through computer speakers at suitable for the office vollume. Through headphones or a decent system at disturb the koalas levels .... oh my.

His later stuff may not be PR but damn it is still lovely. My musical tastes travel far and wide beyond PR so excuse the slide Off Topic but it must be said that even (even ?) stuff like his Baghdad concert (You Tube only alas) is really quite gorgeous.

Owe you a beer Mickey.

Clap Indeed, Battiato is one of Italy's most representative modern artists, and not just in the field of progressive/electronic music. He's branched into classical music as well, and his "pop" albums - as you rightly said - stand head and shoulders above a lot of stale, contrived prog. I remember being dragged by some friends to one of his concerts in 1980 or so, around the time he released L'era del cinghiale bianco. Though I might have been less than enthusiastic at first, I left the theater a convert.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 15:39
A slice of Pezza for me.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 15:48
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Owe you a beer Mickey.

I'll take you up on that! LOLThumbs UpBeer

I'm really glad you enjoyed it so... almost makes up for losing to a Supertramp album.  Can't win them all I suppose haha Wink

How many more polls you still have left to get to?  Roughly about 15 hours to closing time...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 16:09
Presumably the first lot are now done and dusted (??) but I've voted in everything post 17. 

btw ... would it be a good idea to close the threads once the votes are counted ?
Andrew B

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 16:34
yeah  only classic 17-32 are in play. Tomorrow Modern 17-32 go.  I'm not sure if I can close them.  I tabulate them as I close them so it really doesn't matter if they are closed or not.

Besides .. leaving them open is not always a bad thing LOL

during the band competition polls last winter we had a poll that went down to the wire... and a band a number of us wanted to see advance fell short by ONE vote.. so of course like a hour after I closed them one of our 'special' Special Collaborators just waltzes in.. never mind he all week to vote..  and casts a tying vote..  DOH!!!   We had a good time busting his balls for that one.

Edited by micky - July 03 2015 at 16:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 17:54
OK. Have to go into the office for a few hours today so I'll go modern then.
Andrew B

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2015 at 17:59
that is where the fun really is...  even the best of us don't know them all.  For the rest of us mere mortals..  the polls are less less about the 'results' and more about taking the opportunity to explore and catch albums we have missed. We had a real good thing going with the first batch as a good number of us spent the week working our way through the 16 polls.  My wife is more into the modern scene than me, she kept up with it after we both left the site. I'd estimate I had heard or we owned less than half of the 64 albums. Made for a lot of listening.  Great stuff though.

I know the from the first batch of modern polls I got a list of 5 or 6 'must haves' and another list of 5 or 6 that I wanted to get.. ie would if I saw them and they reached up and grabbed me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123