Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChris Squire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 07:02
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Steve Howe is awesome and all, but it seems weird to continue with him being the only original member. 
Sorry to be picky but Howe is not an original member.
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2015 at 07:03
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Steve Howe is awesome and all, but it seems weird to continue with him being the only original member. 
Sorry to be picky but Howe is not an original member.

Yeah, I just saw that on the wiki page. Sorry about that. 
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2015 at 22:28
He says he's not interested, but if he were, I think Ray Bennett of Flash could do Chris proud on bass for Yes, and might even inspire some new heights for the band. And how ironic that would be!
RIP, Peter.
RIP, Chris.

Edited by sherrynoland - August 04 2015 at 15:20
gaz-pacho View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 18:20
RIP Chris
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2015 at 22:16
Interview with Jeff Downes about carrying on without Chris here:
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 16:14
I'd been absent on the forum for a few months and just found out about this...

R.I.P. Chris... Another great is gone... Cry

I will listen to Yes music tomorrow.

Edited by Tuzvihar - August 15 2015 at 16:15
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 16:34
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

I'd been absent on the forum for a few months and just found out about this...

R.I.P. Chris... Another great is gone... Cry

I will listen to Yes music tomorrow.

really? wow.. 

yeah.. I guess it wasn't exactly front page news off of music sites...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 16:53
There was B****r all in the news or on the mainstream media (even radio 4!) in the UK.. The country the man came from.. which is very poor.. The death of Kevin Ayers and Daevid Allen was reported on the mainstream news in the UK which was heartening but i Chris should have got the same! The UK Arts programmes on the UK television and radio continue to ignore progressive music heritage..

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 16:55
I thought CNN had something on him.. perhaps it was small.. but didn't they have something on the main page the day he passed away.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 16:55
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

There was B****r all in the news or on the mainstream media (even radio 4!) in the UK.. The country the man came from.. which is very poor.. The death of Kevin Ayers and Daevid Allen was reported on the mainstream news in the UK which was heartening but i Chris should have got the same! The UK Arts programmes on the UK television and radio continue to ignore progressive music heritage..

There was coverage on the BBC, both news and website. Further, the quality press reported Squire's death, and had detailed obituaries.

He, and his musical legacy, were not ignored at all.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 17:27
Fair enough- you must listen to a lot more radion and tv than i do. I didnt hear any mention on UK radio or on the terrestial television. Ok, i dont look at digital news media so maybe i'm not as informed as some but in terms of talking about the legacy of not only the work and life of Chris Squire but of progressive musicians in general, the BBC Arts programmes are woefully lacking. Just a point of view.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2015 at 17:31
Radion when i mean radio... hmm must stop writing these things at night..  oh and yes, retrospectively, i did see some very good obituaries in UK Broadsheets.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 01:02
Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

He says he's not interested, but if he were, I think Ray Bennett of Flash could do Chris proud on bass for Yes, and might even inspire some new heights for the band. And how ironic that would be!
RIP, Peter.
RIP, Chris.

Thanks, Sherry!  That's a valuable insight into the persona of a man whom I've admired since the first Flash LP!  
Ray has told me that he and Chris Squire shared a flat together in London for a while, and I wonder if they influenced each others bass style (Rickenbacker bass played with a pick)?

We'd all appreciate some stories if Ray were ever to share, Sherry!  Thanks, Chuck Clap

Edited by cstack3 - August 16 2015 at 01:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 14:57
Hi Chuck. The flat you're referring to was "the Yes flat" on Fulham Rd., and yes, Ray stayed there for a while and went to a lot of Yes' first gigs. As for influencing each other's playing, I don't know—they were both pretty hot, authentic players by then, and both letting 'er rip.

I remember Ray telling me, at that time Jon A. had hooked Ray up with a band Jon had also been in briefly called "The Gun", which was doing rather well at the time. One night, Yes and The Gun were on the bill together. Yes piled into their beat-up, old van to go and teased Ray as he was picked up by a limo. After the gig, Ray was whisked away in the limo, but the Yes van broke down! Ray was "home" long before the other boys. 

Ray says he doesn't really have any Chris stories and didn't get to know him that well, but he remembers him very fondly and those days at the flat. That's where he met Peter Banks, of course, and also where he met his first wife and mother of his daughter. She had just broken up with Tony Kaye!

Oh, and...Chris used to love to soak in the tub...which caused long lines for the bathroom. Smile

Edited by sherrynoland - August 16 2015 at 17:03
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2015 at 21:53
Originally posted by sherrynoland sherrynoland wrote:

Hi Chuck. The flat you're referring to was "the Yes flat" on Fulham Rd., and yes, Ray stayed there for a while and went to a lot of Yes' first gigs. As for influencing each other's playing, I don't know—they were both pretty hot, authentic players by then, and both letting 'er rip.

I remember Ray telling me, at that time Jon A. had hooked Ray up with a band Jon had also been in briefly called "The Gun", which was doing rather well at the time. One night, Yes and The Gun were on the bill together. Yes piled into their beat-up, old van to go and teased Ray as he was picked up by a limo. After the gig, Ray was whisked away in the limo, but the Yes van broke down! Ray was "home" long before the other boys. 

Ray says he doesn't really have any Chris stories and didn't get to know him that well, but he remembers him very fondly and those days at the flat. That's where he met Peter Banks, of course, and also where he met his first wife and mother of his daughter. She had just broken up with Tony Kaye!

Oh, and...Chris used to love to soak in the tub...which caused long lines for the bathroom. Smile

Thanks, Sherry!  I wish Ray would write an autobiography!!  Those are some great yarns to share!  

Ray told me in an email about Chris's long baths, which inspired his nickname "The Fish!"  I first heard that from Ray...

Give him our very best, and thanks as always for visiting PA!  We hope there will be another Flash release soon, I think Ray said that he played a fair amount of bass on the last one!  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 00:07
Ray played all the bass on the new CD. Wayne Carver was recruited on bass for live gigs only, while Ray took the lead guitar position.

Edited by sherrynoland - August 17 2015 at 01:00
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2015 at 01:26
I got Ray talking and here are a couple more reminiscences of Chris at the Fulham flat...

Chris, always very pale, decided he'd sunbath in the back garden. Positioned just right in the flat, Ray could see long and lanky Chris' feet out the window in one room and his head with sunglasses out another window in the next room. Unfortunately for Chris, his attempt was futile and he remained as pale as ever.

Chris also had a terrible diet of fried foods and decided to clean up his act one day and start eating healthy food. But for some reason his new diet consisted mostly of bananas and for a time the apartment was covered in banana peels!

And Chris, apparently, liked to indulge occasionally in certain mind expanding substances which left him with flashbacks that might occur at any time—like walking down the stairs...he would stand mid-step staring off into space...perhaps dreaming of the next wonderful bit of music?  Heart

Edited by sherrynoland - August 17 2015 at 01:27
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 101112