FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGlastonbury 2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glastonbury 2015
    Posted: June 29 2015 at 14:35
Amidst all of the sad news this weekend, there was, of course, a major music festival going on. Yep, that paeon to middle class "get down and get dirty" Glastonbury, now 45 years old, and, some believe, rather looking it.

I haven't been for years. These days, the wife and I gaze at it from the comfort of our nice middle class sofa

I am curious as to people's thoughts on this year's happenings.

I will just concentrate on the bigger acts here, but will welcome any thoughts on the more interesting stuff that always happens at Pilton.

I thought Florence and the Machine were excellent. She really stepped up to the headlining plate on Friday evening.

Kanye West? By God, where the hell do you start. Two tracks stood out for me, namely Motherf**king Ni@@er, and the all time classic Ni@@er, Mutherf**king Ni@@er Seriously, a pile of absolute garbage, talentless crap. He had the nerve to describe himself as the greatest rock star in history, gloriously put down by Pete Townsend on Sunday night.

Talking of which, I yield to no one in my love of The 'Oo. One of the greatest acts of all time, and certainly live they were an incredible force.

Compared to the aforementioned Motherf**ker, they were, of course, staggeringly good. However.......However. Daltrey's is now 71 years old, and, I am afraid, rather looking it. He recovered from a distinctly dodgy start to get into massive gear, and Pete can still play those licks. Zac Starkey is also one of the finest drummers around at the moment.

However, Entwistle is simply irreplaceable. And, I truly believe that now is the time to call it a day. They didn't die before they got all old on us, thankfully, but age has most definitely caught up, and it is time to end now whilst dignity is still intact.

My two pennies worth, anyway.

Lastly, We enjoyed the Franz Ferdinand and Sparks collaboration. Fun. Weller has lost a lot of his allure for me, whilst the Granny slot filled by Lionel Ritchie was surprisingly rather good.

I must be getting old!
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 19:16
Didn't pay much attention to it this year (and we haven't been since 2000). It does seem that the comedy/cabaret tent has got lot bigger and more elaborate since we were last there - With sod all on TV on Saturday night Debs was aimlessly channel-hopping (note to self: never leave the remote within her reaching distance again) and we caught the beginning of some American comic's set that featured a depressingly unfunny parody of Bohemian Rhapsody. A woefully missed opportunity to do a proper Bo-Rap, but alas that would require an artist with considerably more talent. [Like the fur-ball my cat's just yakked up for example.] Fortunately she (the wife not the cat) found the red button eventually and we watched Ms Paloma Faith instead, who is as mad as a box of frogs but when you can sing that is permissible (take note Mr Kandle Vest).

On Sunday I did switch on the TV to see FFS and ended up watching the 'Oo. I think the time has come to finally admit that after 50 years of trying to like them, I don't really like them at at. I don't dislike them, they just don't do anything for me. I will confess that they did what they do as well as they've ever seen them do it, I simply didn't enjoy it. However, I would like to know where Daltrey got his purple tinted sunglasses, the left lens keeps falling out of mine and I can't find purple-tinted sunglasses to replace them anywhere.

When the collaboration between Sparks and Franz Ferdinand was initially promoted on April 1st by the song "Piss Off" I thought it was all part of some un-elaborate April Fools joke. I've sporadically followed Sparks ever since "This Town..." first hit the UK airways and have enjoyed each of the 21+ albums they've released over the years. While on the other hand, I've never bothered listening to Franz Ferdinand and couldn't name one of their songs even if my life depended on it. The three songs the BBC played were, as you say, fun. I stood no chance of recognising the Franz Ferdinand song and with Russell Mael's voice shining out over FF's Alex Whateverisnameis it just sounded like a Sparks song that I'd not heard before. I must remember to watch the full set on iPlayer. I ordered the album a few weeks ago but it hasn't arrived yet.

I watch the Charli XCX set earlier... lippy electro-pop-punk that's a cross between Billie Piper ("Because we want to") and Shampoo ("Uh-oh, We're In Trouble") with a heavy dose of Lilly Allen inspired swearing. Nothing special, happy bouncy pop played by girlies in j-pop "skool" uniforms. At times the lead and bass guitarist looked like they were miming but so much of the music was backing-track it was actually quite hard to tell.
What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 22:56
I have not watched any of it yet.....I generally catch different segments during several days of channel surfing, might start this weekend as we have a holiday with Independence Day on Saturday.
(Note to US Congress...no Holiday should be on a Saturday or Sunday...It's not a Holiday LOL).

Thanks Steve for the reminder and your thoughts, and the warning about the "greatest rock star in history" Dead...what a complete turd and a disgrace to the US. I apologize for his amazing ignorance......
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2015 at 23:08
im more of a. Roskilde festival guy :)
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2015 at 04:37
The major festivals are getting worse every year, but Kanye West being an headliner... Dead
FFS are the only band I'd like to see on a festival here, but I wouldn't pay the ticket only to see them. I really like the album, it's not a great collaboration though, since it's obviously a Sparks album.
 Post Reply Post Reply