Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedStand Up By Jethro Tull

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2015 at 00:10
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

mmmm!!!... I think there was a single recorded with strings before RFW...
Actually Lady Palmer's strings over-arrangements did more wrong than good in the mid to late-70's.
Don't know why Anderson resorted to that soo often

1. There was. It was "A Christmas Song". Incidentally, I think that kind of pointed the way to Stand Up.

2. I dunno, I liked Palmer's later string arrangements. It worked well for "Bungle In The Jungle", "Requiem", "Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young To Die", "Moths" and "Elegy". 

Back on topic, I remember getting this a A Passion Play for Christmas. I heard Passion first, then I listened to Stand Up. After hearing "A New Day Yesterday", I thought, "this is gonna be the better of the two".

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - July 09 2015 at 00:10
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 20:21
I have been away for a while....thanks Steve for putting up all these Tull album-related posts.

Stand Up is a defining moment for Tull. It's where Anderson took control after Mick Abrahams was given the proverbial boot and started a long line of IMHO seminal albums, which can be argued spanned for a decade or more.

I have stated this before but Stand Up has a real grungyness to it ...probably due to new boy Martin Barre's guitar. Not all tracks are grungy but A New Day Yesterday, Back To The Family, Nothing Is Easy, We Used To Know and (particularly) For A Thousand Mothers all have that grunge feel to them....largely thanks to Martin I believe.

Apparently it's Eddie Vedder's favourite album and influenced Pearl Jam ....so the story goes from the lips of IA himself (a video I have seen) relating a story that Eddie Vedder went to a Tull concert and met the band  back stage clutching a Stand Up album and stating the above. Sometimes I just cannot believe or even half believe the anecdotes that emanate from Mr Anderson. Good tale though!

Getting back to Stand Up off setting the heavier tracks are fantastic acoustic numbers such as Fat Man, Jeffrey Goes to Leicester Square, Look Into The Sun and Reasons For Waiting. And we can't forget the classic instrumental Bouree.

BTW: it is great to see Martin Barre has recently been inducted into Prog Archives (in Crossover). Yay!

Edited by BarryGlibb - July 17 2015 at 20:23
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 20:25
A wonderful early prog album--  in certain ways, their finest hour.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2015 at 20:38
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

BTW: it is great to see Martin Barre has recently been inducted into Prog Archives (in Crossover). Yay!

Yes, Barry! Finally! There was a good reception in the topic when he was inducted. Now I'am waiting to people rate his albums! Smile
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 02:00
Really enjoy 'Stand Up', Tull's 2nd best album IMO.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 02:36
Weird fact: I haven't ever heard Stand Up, despite being a huge Jethro Tull fan otherwise, as I'm under the impression they only really started getting that ambitious on Aqualung. Will get around to listening to this album (and Benefit more than the couple times I've spun it) in the near future.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 06:06
^ I think that is what's appealing about early Tull for me, they were best when they were more modest.

Edited by Kirillov - July 18 2015 at 06:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 06:42
I, on the other hand, prefer the band when they're a degree further from "normal rock music". Not a very helpful term, I know, but I hope you understand what I mean.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 23:27
The first two are indispensable - the peak of their catalog, IMO.  Folky, bluesy, the flute serves the song.....and no preachy Ian. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 02:33
I guess it depends on which kind of listening background you come from.

If I had been more into traditional rock music and British folk music first, I might prefer their early records too. According to the biography of the band I read some years ago, the members have also always thought of themselves as having more in common ideologically with the Fairport Convention and the Incredible String Band than with the progressive rock "movement". Since I now have an interest in that kind of music, if only on the casual level, I think I might now have some working knowledge of that side of JT's sound.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2015 at 23:23

A 5 star album for sure and these are my reasons:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=349677
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 08:58
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I guess it depends on which kind of listening background you come from.

If I had been more into traditional rock music and British folk music first, I might prefer their early records too. According to the biography of the band I read some years ago, the members have also always thought of themselves as having more in common ideologically with the Fairport Convention and the Incredible String Band than with the progressive rock "movement". Since I now have an interest in that kind of music, if only on the casual level, I think I might now have some working knowledge of that side of JT's sound.

The folk thing certainly came out later on but not on the first 3 albums imho...they were a 'blues rock band with other influences when started by Abrahams and Anderson.   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Abrahams
Abrahams wanted to keep it on that direction ....Anderson wanted to look into other directions for the music...so Mick left to form Blodwyn Pig and Anderson took control of the band...and proceeded to add a healthy does of Brit folk along with blues and rock.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
GKR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 10:01
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

A 5 star album for sure and these are my reasons:

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=349677

Good review, man. Stand Up is currently the #4 album of PA list of 1969. And well deserved, if you ask me.
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
akaBona View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2015 at 18:00
We Used To Know makes this album essential. I love Stand Up lot and the path was open to even better albums, ie Benefit, Aqualung, TAAB and my personal favourite A Passion Play.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12