Topic ClosedGo Set A Watchman?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 08:36
Mcbump here.  Any of you finish this yet? Thoughts/
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:53
oh yeah...  finally mosied over the city library today and asked if they had the book...

and prompty put myself on the waiting list... at 147.

Seems I am not the only one to not want to give those pigs a frickin cent for this.

oh... and I think the librarian felt the Mcheat...  she gave me the look.. at least until she my wedding ring.

and to think I wasted all my young single years trolling bars and churches...  I should have been trolling the libraries...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 14:29
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Wink

never let your common sense get in the way of a good rant.

Micky's rules of life.. #31.

That said.. I am leaning more towards reading it.. curiousity has killed many of my 9 lives already...but again.. I won't support the backers of this.  The profiteers behind this.  It damn well was not authorized by Lee.  I'll get it from the library some day... 

I was reviewing some old posts and found this. I had the same discussion with my daughter a few weeks ago, and she was arguing that Lee would never have wanted the book to be published, but I am not sure that is an accurate statement. Lee could well have prevented publication permanently (destroyed all copies she owned or lodged only remaining copy with an attorney with an instruction to destroy upon her death, etc.) but chose not to.  Logically, Lee had to have known for at least 30 years that any publisher would want this book but took no steps to prevent it being published when she no longer had control. Therefore, it may be possible that she saw the book as presenting the same story but from the viewpoint of an adult rather than a child, which would change the story dramatically, and indeed did not mind (or did not prevent) its' eventual publication.

I haven't read the book, and probably won't, but it can be argued that Attticus' stance in both books could be compatible. In other words, he might have seen blacks as inferior, and therefore felt obliged to defend Tom in a "noblesse oblige" kind of way.  The child Scout would have seen only the nobility, but the adult daughter would have seen the contradictions. In that sense, Watchman might well have "completed" the story.

These are possible explanations, but I won't assert they are correct, only speculation.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2015 at 14:47
I was initially intrigued, and almost bought the book (Barnes & Nobles had tons of em there in person) but I'm glad I held off. 

I heard pretty universally it's just not very good, which makes sense since it's come out this was initially an early draft of "To Kill"  It also explains why Atticus is apparently some horrible racist now...basically, this was an early draft of the book that was never to be published, so I have no want to read it. 

Of course there's the speculation about what the deal was with publication, given Lee's "Will never publish" again stance. Have heard she is of sound mind and OKd it willingly, have heard she's not in great shape and was basically taken advantage of, who knows but I don't see this as a book worth reading, even more positive reviews seem moderately approving. 

Edited by JJLehto - September 14 2015 at 14:49
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12