Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hi
    Posted: July 15 2015 at 04:25
I've been in the site for at least few weeks now and finally, I decided to join in. Of course, my main reason for joining in was to review some of my favorite albums in the site. Progressive Rock quickly became my most favorite genre of music as for the moment mostly for it being unique, its diversity, and it being creative in general. To put it in simple words, this kind of genre puts my ears into a very great aural experience. Also in my honest opinion, this site is one of the best sites for music I have found.  I really like all of the genres of Prog( mostly Canterbury Scene, Eclectic Prog, Jazz Rock/Fusion, RIO/Avant-Prog, Zeuhl, Heavy Prog and Symphonic).

Here are my favorite bands (per genre) as of the moment:

Canterbury Scene: (CARAVAN, GONG, MOVING GELATINE PLATES, SOFT MACHINE, NATIONAL HEALTH, HATFIELD AND THE NORTH, STEVE HILLAGE, KHAN, SUPERSISTER, EGG, AMOEBA SPLIT)

Crossover Prog: (STEVEN WILSON, MIKE OLDFIELD, SUPERTRAMP, TALK TALK, THE TEA CLUB, GAZPACHO, PROCOL HARUM, MICE ON STILTS)

Eclectic Prog: (KING CRIMSON, VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR, GENTLE GIANT, BIRDS AND BUILDINGS, SBB, BEARDFISH, GOSTA BERLINGS SAGA, TAAL, DIAGONAL, GNIDROLOG, STEVE HACKETT, HAIKARA, CIRCUS, BUBU, TRAFFIC, ALQUIN, DREADNAUGHT)

Experimental/Post-Metal: (TOOL, MAUDLIN OF THE WELL, DEVIN TOWNSEND, ANATHEMA)

Heavy Prog: (HAKEN, THE MARS VOLTA, PORCUPINE TREE, RUSH, NAIKAKU, ANEKDOTEN, URIAH HEEP, LUCIFER'S FRIEND, CARGO)

Indo-Prog/Raga Rock: (CLIVAGE, CODONA)

Jazz Rock/Fusion: (MAHAVISHNU ORCHESTRA, SLOCHE, GUTHRIE GOVAN, RETURN TO FOREVER, MANEIGE, PEKKA POHJOLA, ARTI E MESTIERI, COLOSSEUM, DEDALUS, EMBRYO, D.F.A., OPUS-5, AVANT GARDEN, ELECTRIC OUTLET)

Krautrock: (AMON DÜÜL II, ASH RA TEMPEL, CAN, POPUL VUH, DOM)

Neo-Prog: (MARILLION, SYLVAN, IQ, ARENA, MAGENTA, THE PSYCHEDELIC ENSEMBLE, ANUBIS)

Post-Rock/Math-Rock: (SIGUR ROS, SWANS, GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR)

Prog Folk: (JETHRO TULL, COMUS, GRYPHON, LOS JAIVAS)

Progressive Metal: (RIVERSIDE, FATES WARNING, QUEENSCRYCHE, MYRATH, MATRAZ, EPHEMERAL SUN, DREAM THEATER)

Psychedelic/Space Rock: (PINK FLOYD, HAWKWIND, NEMRUD, ELOY, AMPLIFIER, HYPNOS 69, ASTRA, AGUSA)

RIO/Avant-Prog: (ART ZOYD, THINKING PLAGUE, CARDIACS, MIRIODOR, KAYO DOT, UNIVERS ZERO, HENRY COW, PRESENT, TAYLOR'S UNIVERSE, U TOTEM, AHVAK, miRthkon, GUAPO, CARTOON, FRANK ZAPPA)

Rock Progressivo Italiano: (AREA, PREMIATA FORNERIA MARCONI, LE ORME, BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO, OSANNA, MUSEO ROSENBACH, IL BALLETTO DI BRONZO, LOGOS, CERVELLO, ALPHATAURUS, UNREAL CITY, QUELLA VECCHIA LOCCANDA, I GIGANTI, JUMBO)

Symphonic Prog: (YES, GENESIS, CAMEL, RENAISSANCE, BACAMARTE, ÄNGLAGÅRD, HARMONIUM, HANDS, EMERSON LAKE AND PALMER, DISCIPLINE, KANSAS, THE FLOWER KINGS, MOON SAFARI, ECHOLYN, FOCUS, FINCH, ATOLL, SINKADUS, MIA)

Tech/Extreme Prog-Metal: (OPETH, LEPROUS, BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME)

Zeuhl: (ESKATON, LAURENT THIBAULT, MAGMA, WEIDORJE, DÜN, BONDAGE FRUIT, SETNA)

Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 04:33
Hello and welcome! I think you know a lot of great bands (it almost reads like a prog rock guide) ... Do you know Koenjihyakkei by the way?
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 04:39
Welcome to PA, that's a really good list Thumbs Up I find the lack of Progressive Electronic disturbing though Tongue
Fjkpkwek View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 05:51
@ Skalla-Grim They seem like a great band, and I'm very eager to listen to them. Can you recommend me some of their great songs?

@ Meltdowner (since double posting is a no-no here) One of my favorite Progressive Electronic bands is Harmonia and I'd like to try some Tangerine Dream. And I'm about to listen one of the albums there. It's Zanov's In Course Of Time
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 06:09
^ Cool, Harmonia are great Cool If you don't like Tangerine Dream's top rated albums don't give up, they tried a lot of styles throughout their discography and some require many listens Smile I really like that Zanov album, Green Ray is also commendable Thumbs Up
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 06:17
Welcome! Stellar list! Big smile
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Fjkpkwek View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 06:19
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Cool, Harmonia are great Cool If you don't like Tangerine Dream's top rated albums don't give up, they tried a lot of styles throughout their discography and some require many listens Smile I really like that Zanov album, Green Ray is also commendable Thumbs Up

OK, thanks. Smile But I'm currently listening to Angher Shisspa by one of the previous poster's recommendations to me, Koenjihyakkei.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 06:59
Great list, and such a broad range of favorites also.
Welcome!
Skalla-Grim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 07:28
Originally posted by Fjkpkwek Fjkpkwek wrote:

@ Skalla-Grim They seem like a great band, and I'm very eager to listen to them. Can you recommend me some of their great songs?

Some of my favourite songs are Doi Doi, Grembo Zavia, Aramidda Horva, Tziidall Raszhisst, and Rattims Friezz. I think Angherr Shisspa is their most popular album. If you like them, maybe you'll be also interested in drummer Tatsuya Yoshida's other projects Ruins and Korekyojinn. For example you could check out Symphonica by Ruins and Tundra by Korekyojinn.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - July 15 2015 at 07:30
Disparate Times View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 07:28
welcome aboard, look forward to reading some of your reviews.
Windhawk View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 10:12
Welcome. And since you review music, it would be interesting to see what your take on a more obscure album would be like. Like this one.
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 10:44
Welcome, and if you want some more electronic be sure to check out the fathers of electronic music, Kraftwerk. Tongue
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2015 at 11:14
Originally posted by Fjkpkwek Fjkpkwek wrote:

@ Meltdowner (since double posting is a no-no here) One of my favorite Progressive Electronic bands is Harmonia and I'd like to try some Tangerine Dream. And I'm about to listen one of the albums there. It's Zanov's In Course Of Time

Welcome aboard. It's nice to see you and a great, detailed, introduction.

As regards Tangerine Dream, they were one of the few classic Giants I only really found on this site. My introduction to them was the exceptional cd's of The Virgin Years, still widely available. I cannot recommend these highly enough, and I have a feeling you will love them.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
antonyus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 02:58
Hello and welcome...nice list but should be larger in few months :)
 Post Reply Post Reply