Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFor the Love of the Dead

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: For the Love of the Dead
    Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:21
I'm still floored that the Grateful Dead have not yet been deemed worthy of our PA database.....an absolute travesty!  Where would progressive rock be without the forefathers of genres as diverse as psych, prog folk, ambient, space, fusion, avant-garde, Krautrock. electronic....the Dead were the fuel behind some of the most progressive music experimentation in the history of rock.  Those that bring up the jam band or Americana angle miss exactly what they were trying to do - lead the evolution of American blues, jazz, folk, and rock n roll to wilder angles, more depth of sound.....melding diverse genres of music to form a PROGRESSIVE rock sound.  For the love of the Dead, let 'em in!

Omitting trailblazers like the Dead....is there a bias for Wakeman capes and keyboard wonkery?  The reason I petition for their inclusion is to introduce non-believers to the insane pleasure potential derived from listening to the band.  The Dead would be natural to fans of bands as diverse as the Floyd, Ash Ra Tempel, the Fairport Convention, Gong, Miles Davis, Magma.....the list goes on.  A simple search for the Dead's Space, Dark Star, the Other One.....these jams would take off into different directions every single night.....never the same twice.  Their tuning before songs is more progressive than some bands included on PA.....for the love of the Dead, let 'em in!

Phil Lesh is on PA with his Seastones album.....the album is just snippets of stuff the Dead had been doing for years.  The Jefferson Airplane.....Jerry Garcia plays guitar on and actually named the album Surrealistic Pillow.  Phish....their modus operendi is pure Dead.  Todd Rundgren.....Chicago....Traffic....love 'em but how are they more progressive than the Dead.  I hate bringing up comparisons when comparing who should be in or out (Kansas, Styx, Journey?????), but.....for the love of the Dead, let 'em in!
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2015 at 09:26
This is the most recent thread suggesting their addition (with links to even older threads on the first page): http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90155&KW=Grateful+Dead&PID=4640090#4640090
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2015 at 00:55
All the more reason to start a new thread - an injustice is an injustice no matter how many times we refuse to hear it. 
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
 Post Reply Post Reply