Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 18:40
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

When you say "best" I take it to mean as "nearly perfect, even flawless as possible," not "my favorite." This requires a bit of objectivity.

it takes a fair bit of objectivity...  to recognize the nearly perfect, even flawless that are NOT favorite albums.

Most people you would surmise would have as their absolute favorites.. albums they do find to be nearly perfect or even... flawless.

As I noted upstream in the thread. I see there really are two ways to approach lists and topics like this..

best - albums you love (whoopie!)

greatest - those that have a combination of factors independent of whether you like it or not that set it above other albums. FAR more interesting if one is able to compose a list like that.

THAT requires more than a fair bit of objectivity.. not to mention overall knowledge of the realm of prog/progressive rock over and above knowing what one likes... and liking what one knows.

Using that guidance, I would have to say that Close to the Edge is the most flawless prog album.  However, I still prefer Tales and Relayer, in spite of their (comparatively) flawed states.

flawless?  nah...  I think that would be missing the point.

Is ITCOCK one of the greatest prog albums ever ...because it was flawless?  Actually it probably had nothing to do with it as even most fans think there is a 10 minute long pile of warm steaming sh*t right in the middle of the album.

is Close to the Edge even the greatest Yes album... highly debatable.. but one could make a strong argument.  A stronger one in my mind that it was TFTO.  CttE was a merely a step, a progression in the evolution of what Yes was moving toward.. and it was TFTO.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 21:12
Genesis~Selling England By the Pound
Rush~Hemispheres
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 21:25
A question that is so expansive and nebulous that it's hard to give an answer. If I were to say, it would be a close tie between low Spark and Obscured by Clouds. 

Edited by aglasshouse - August 06 2015 at 21:25
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 01:29
If there is one thing I've learned over the years then it's surely that 'best' has nothing to do with what the majority thinks. Just a quick note to you guys who're talking objectivity.
If such was the case then Rihanna would be the best music artists out there at the moment. The masses have spoken!

Most people on PA have only heard the biggies and never really venture that far afield from them (which is quite alright), but it does make these kinds of discussions rather narrow in the way they approach the infinitely vast oceans of prog.
'What!?!??? Are you telling me there's prog rock outside of the English speaking world??? But how am I supposed to fathom the French lingo let alone get into music sung in it?'

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 07 2015 at 01:33
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 01:29
It's pretty difficult, but if were only talking Progressive Rock, then it would be one of these:

Eloy - Floating
Rush - Vapor Trails
Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Pink Floyd - Animals 
Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift

Edited by Pastmaster - August 07 2015 at 01:32
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 01:31
My top 10 would probably change every now and then but two albums that will surely always be there are Maxophone and Dun Approve Approve Approve
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 07:39

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

When you say "best" I take it to mean as "nearly perfect, even flawless as possible," not "my favorite." This requires a bit of objectivity.

it takes a fair bit of objectivity...  to recognize the nearly perfect, even flawless that are NOT favorite albums.

Most people you would surmise would have as their absolute favorites.. albums they do find to be nearly perfect or even... flawless.

As I noted upstream in the thread. I see there really are two ways to approach lists and topics like this..

best - albums you love (whoopie!)

greatest - those that have a combination of factors independent of whether you like it or not that set it above other albums. FAR more interesting if one is able to compose a list like that.

THAT requires more than a fair bit of objectivity.. not to mention overall knowledge of the realm of prog/progressive rock over and above knowing what one likes... and liking what one knows.

Using that guidance, I would have to say that Close to the Edge is the most flawless prog album.  However, I still prefer Tales and Relayer, in spite of their (comparatively) flawed states.

flawless?  nah...  I think that would be missing the point.

Is ITCOCK one of the greatest prog albums ever ...because it was flawless?  Actually it probably had nothing to do with it as even most fans think there is a 10 minute long pile of warm steaming sh*t right in the middle of the album.

is Close to the Edge even the greatest Yes album... highly debatable.. but one could make a strong argument.  A stronger one in my mind that it was TFTO.  CttE was a merely a step, a progression in the evolution of what Yes was moving toward.. and it was TFTO.

I was working with the criteria given.  I agree that TFTO is a "better" album in that it is more complex, more interesting. I also agree that it was a progression from CTTE. 

However....it's clear to me that CTTE is a flawless album in the sense that it is as close to perfect as an album can be - not a note out of place. TFTO, on the other hand, does have lots of flaws.  [If I never hear that squeaky dog toy - or whatever the hell it is on RSOG that makes that annoying noise - again, that would be fine with me, and enough with the chanting already.]   Still, I prefer it to CTTE, in spite of the things that I dislike about it. 

Obviously, this particular debate reveals the issues involved with having this type of discussion - the premise of which I also agree is fundamentally flawed. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123