Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [73.91%]
12 [26.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2015 at 16:19
Salmacis is probably *the* Genesis song for me these days. I like Lamneth but not even close.
Flight123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 03:20
Surprised 'Lamneth' got this many votes... I was already heavily into prog at age 14 when I first heard this and thought it was incredibly lame - I still do!
I was delighted to have been at Knebworth in 78 when 'Salmacis' was performed (some controversy over whether it is the version that appears on 'Three Sides Live' - I am sure some experts will tell me!)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 17:13
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

Surprised 'Lamneth' got this many votes... I was already heavily into prog at age 14 when I first heard this and thought it was incredibly lame - I still do!
I was delighted to have been at Knebworth in 78 when 'Salmacis' was performed (some controversy over whether it is the version that appears on 'Three Sides Live' - I am sure some experts will tell me!)

The version on Three sides live was recorded in 1980.

The version from the 1978 Knebworth show is probably my favourite version of the song. Sadly I only ever had it on a crappy booleg recorded from a radio broadcast courtesy of Tommy Vance on Radio 1. I think I was about 9 in 1978!

I get why many folk aren't keen on Lamneth, but for me it's one of those songs that has a sentimental value more than anything else. As an epic it's fairly flawed and doesn't flow that well at times, but has a special atmosphere and reminds me of a good time in my early teens when I was exploring Rush for the first time.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2015 at 17:55
^ amen to that... Clap

Genesis?  yeah.. great stuff if you are into that.. but to quote one of out greatest and brightest...

C'MON GUYZ IT'S RUSH GEEZ

Where was Le Orme Genesis hahah when you were squeezing pimples in your teenage bathroom, looking for guidance to summon the courage to approach that pretty girl in your class?  Who but Neil Peart could give you the courage to say THE HELL WITH GIRLS I'M GONNA WITHDRAW INTO MY FANTASY WORLD ?

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2015 at 19:54
All the classic elements of early Genesis gelled with 'Fountain'. I do have a soft spot though in my heart for that Rush number.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12