Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Non-prog bands with lots of mellotron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skalla-Grim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Non-prog bands with lots of mellotron
    Posted: August 11 2015 at 11:56
As a mellotron fan, I'm also looking for bands who are not prog, but use the mellotron a lot.

Though I created the topic in the proto-prog section, it can also be contemporary bands.

If you know a band who recorded one particular album with lots of mellotron, please mention those album(s).

Thanks very much in advance!

One album which I'm going to check out is "Odessey and Oracle" by The Zombies. I also read that Barclay James Harvest used mellotron, maybe somebody can tell me which of their albums is most interesting in mellotron terms.

Edited by Skalla-Grim - August 11 2015 at 12:10
Pastmaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pastmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 12:58
I'm not aware of any non-prog bands that have a lot of mellotron, but Soundgarden's song 'Black Hole Sun' has mellotron in it.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 13:13
Check out the Kantner/Slick/Freiberg album entitled - Baron Von Tollbooth And The Chrome Nun !! It's from 1973, and is a sort of transitional album between Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship. Freiberg uses quite a bit of 'tron. Great album.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 13:16
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

I'm not aware of any non-prog bands that have a lot of mellotron, but Soundgarden's song 'Black Hole Sun' has mellotron in it.

What about Stevie Wonder, Ah Ha, Bryan Adams, Jefferson Airplane, Jewell, etc?

Go to Planet Mellotron and find the complete list.

Iván

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ivan_Melgar_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 13:23
Red a the question wrong sorry

I delete the post

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - August 11 2015 at 14:42

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2015 at 13:29
It's strange, I've been listening to a lot of Mellotron on the radio lately, some bland Pop tracks that I don't pay much attention... until I hear the Tron Tongue
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 01:13
^ This is true !!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 06:59
mid 70s Elton John feature couple of songs with mellotron and early 70s Alice Cooper,

this is Elton on Fender Rhodes and flute mellotron

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:35
I thought it was against the law for non prog bands to use mellotron...?

Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2015 at 22:34
Plenty of mellotron spread out on every Bee Gees 60's to early 70's albums by Maurice Gibb. Their 1969 concept double album Odessa is probably the most "mellotron drenched" album but my favorite tron-song is from their 1967-debut:

Terje Rypdal 2/3's of Whenever I Seem to Be Far Away's is thick with mellotron.
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AreYouHuman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 12:22
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 13:44
Great mellotron middle part in Alice Coopers Unfinished Sweet, I think only another mellotron use in his songs is in Hello Hooray which I also really love.

About Barclay James Harvest, Once Again is their best album and lots of mellotron in it.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 15:24
The first Lynyrd Skynyrd album has some prominent Mellotron courtesy of produce Al Kooper.
Lots of old Motown and other RnB and pop artists used Mellotron instead of strings, they often disguised the tron with lots of reverb. A friend of mine worked on Isaac Hayes' Mellotron, Hayes of course produced hundreds of RnB and pop songs over the years.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 15:28
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2018 at 15:30
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 00:04
^Also mellotron in Free Bird of that album version, always think it´s the best version of that song although it fades in the end, whole album is really great!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2018 at 00:23
Barclay James Harvest are basically prog. Worth checking out though. 

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

It's strange, I've been listening to a lot of Mellotron on the radio lately, some bland Pop tracks that I don't pay much attention... until I hear the Tron Tongue
I bought one of these little beasts a couple of years ago: https://www.ehx.com/products/mel9 
Mellotron on my guitar! It's one of the best musical purchases I've made and I use it in my recordings a lot. This pedal as well as Mellotron sounds found in DAWs and the web have probably been a big part of bringing it back.  
 Post Reply Post Reply