Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe cultural evolution of "classic rock"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2015 at 04:10
I actually don't know if classic rock radio exists here in Denmark. For the most part, I know it from magazines like not just Classic Rock but also Q, Mojo, Record Collector and Uncut. Which again seem to be aimed at obsessive record collectors rather than big hits.

When did that CR radio station start, Sean Trane? I have been under the impression that the format has for the most part been a North American phenomenon, and similar radio stations did not appear in Europe until much later even then most of them were in the UK.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rocknrollcola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 03:37
Alternative Rock has been the new addition to Classic Rock Stations. It will get weird when you start adding about anything that is rock from the 1990s and 2000s.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:00
Adding to the confusion: I also swear that "alternative rock" started out as a radio format in the 1990s rooted in a growing demand for that kind of music beyond the college radio crowd but classic rock stations wouldn't play it either.

For the record, wasn't that how progressive rock got its name either? Referring to 1970s radio stations that played more ambitious and experimental rock music than usual...
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
rocknrollcola View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:09
I believe so.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:38
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I actually don't know if classic rock radio exists here in Denmark. For the most part, I know it from magazines like not just Classic Rock but also Q, Mojo, Record Collector and Uncut. Which again seem to be aimed at obsessive record collectors rather than big hits.

When did that CR radio station start, Sean Trane? I have been under the impression that the format has for the most part been a North American phenomenon, and similar radio stations did not appear in Europe until much later even then most of them were in the UK.

They started in 2004 , on the base of the previous rock station called Radio 21, which was born on the late-80's, itself started on the Radio-Cité - created in parts by Marc Moulin during his Telex days in the very early 80's. The mythology is that Radio-cité was Belgium's only (or first anyway) pirate radio, but that's a bit of myrth, methinks (I was in Canada at the time, anyway).

The formula changed slightly (not in the good direction, IMHO) twice: in 2009 and 2012

It's the third-most listened-to FM-radio in the French part of the country, and still holds whatever critics and DJ legends of Belgium left alive, including its director Marc Ysaye (drummer of Machiavel) and the recently retired (but he will go on on Radio Campus) rock purist Jacques de Pierpont.   

Of course purist like me and the buddies love to loathe it or slam the way the radio is going, but compared to what happens in neighbouring countries (not really aware of what happens in GB ou Germany, though), we're all aware that Poor Little ol' Brussels/Wallonie is doing quite an exploit with this.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2015 at 04:43
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Essentially it's why I stopped listening to the FM close to 20yrs ago, all you hear is the same old stuff over and over on a daily basis.

Same old crap different day and tons of ads.  Not for people who are really in to music.  I enjoy listening to old stuff but I have heard the classic rock stuff that gets played on commercial radio enough times that I never really need to ever hear it again.  I like revisiting the old stuff but I prefer to explore new stuff.  Radio is dead to me.

Edited by Slartibartfast - August 31 2015 at 04:43
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12