Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 4th Round Class: Birds of Fire v. The Rotters Club
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed4th Round Class: Birds of Fire v. The Rotters Club

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Pick One!
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
26 [44.07%]
33 [55.93%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:41
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Because I didn't ever get into Soft Machine and Hillage doesn't do much for me I've tended to ignore the Canterbury stuff but I have to say that Rotters Club inspired me to go looking and I'm very happy I did. Egg and Quiet Sun are already on my like list, not to mention Caravan of course.

hmm.. that is like avoiding symphonic prog becuase you think Genesis were a bunch of sleep inducing hacks.. albeit clever ones..Thumbs UpLOL

As I'm sure you are seeing Canterbury has some substantial variance in it.. it is more a historical grouping that one of groups all sounding the same. Though obviously they do share some influences and sonic similarities.

way cool man.  Lots of great stuff to check out! Never quite the same
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2015 at 19:27
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Because I didn't ever get into Soft Machine and Hillage doesn't do much for me I've tended to ignore the Canterbury stuff but I have to say that Rotters Club inspired me to go looking and I'm very happy I did. Egg and Quiet Sun are already on my like list, not to mention Caravan of course.

hmm.. that is like avoiding symphonic prog becuase you think Genesis were a bunch of sleep inducing hacks.. albeit clever ones..Thumbs UpLOL

Cheeky devil. Tongue

As I'm sure you are seeing Canterbury has some substantial variance in it.. it is more a historical grouping that one of groups all sounding the same. Though obviously they do share some influences and sonic similarities.

way cool man.  Lots of great stuff to check out! Never quite the same

Oh I don't think I ignored because it was Canterbury, just ignored a lot of it that was somehow SM (err thats Soft Machine not bondage) related. There is a level of subtlety that I really didn't get back in the day. Older, greyer and wiser (hey two out of three ain't bad) I can now appreciate it somewhat.

Hey , even an unreconstructed G fan can take in the odd alternative.

Then again, I discovered Tim Bowness yesterday so maybe not so cool. LOL
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
TGM: Orb View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 05:55

talk about too close for comfort.. LOL  Did M.O. have anything that approached the god-like Richard Sinclair. 

Hell NO!! 

Listen to that voice and don't tell me you wouldn't give that ass to him if he had asked if he promised to sing to you afterward....

Billy Cobham.

I'm still voting for Hatfield because that's the best jazz fusion album on the site. It really is an album that does everything and does it all brilliantly.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2015 at 16:41
I have a lot of time for Birds of Fire, but The Rotters' Club is an exquisite masterpiece.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123