Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI've only just discovered this section exists

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've only just discovered this section exists
    Posted: September 24 2015 at 05:18
I should have realized that their was a newbie introduce yourself section.

Here goes, I originally got into hard/heavy rock when I was 14/15 which got me into Marillion who were lumped in with that scene.. I soon realized that there was an absolute magic about Marillion's sound that no other band had.
This led me to investigate other progressive rock bands starting with Genesis who so many people said Marillion sounded like.  (they bloody well don't).  Then Yes, Pallas, Pink Floyd etc 

But you don't want to read my life story.

I believe that with the possible exception of classical, no other form of music has the ambition, the complexity, the innovation coupled with the desire to push the envelope, the light and shade, the subtletly at times and the sheer musicianship that is found in progressive rock.
Having said that, I believe it is important to be honest with others (and yourself) regarding what music you like and don't like. I'm certainly not going to pretend to like godawful bands like The Smiths, The Ramones,or Joy Division because certain music magazines tell us that we should like these bands.
 When I wear a band shirt it is because I like that band, I have almost certainly seen them live and have most of their albums, and I'm probably wearing that shirt today because I have been listening to that band very recently.

I like the following prog bands;
After Forever, Amon Duul 2, Arena, Sophya Baccini,  Ayreon, Camel, ELO, The Enid, Final Conflict, Cosmograf, Citizen Cain, Genesis, Gong, Hawkwind,  IQ, Jethro Tull, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Manning, Marillion, Mostly Autumn, Nightwish, Mike Oldfield, Pallas, Pendragon, Queen, Porcupie Tree, Pink Floyd, Rhapsody (of Fire), RPWL, Rush, Spock's Beard, Shadowland, Lucca Turilli, Tarja, Al Stewart, Roger Waters, Yes, Rick Wakeman.

And the following non prog bands;
Adam and the Ants, Adam Ant, The Beatles, Blur, Chumbawumba, Guns n Roses, Iron Maiden, Morcheeba, Men at Work, Jean Michelle Jarre, Sophie B Hawkins, Led Zepellin, Rainbow,Paul Roland, Skyclad, UFO.

And I also like Beethoven and Mozart.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 13:15
Welcome.  A fellow headbanger-turned-proggie.  I like that.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2015 at 14:50
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Welcome.  A fellow headbanger-turned-proggie.  I like that.
Easier to be both
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2015 at 17:01
Eclectic taste  is the spice of life! Welcome!

Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2015 at 07:24
There always has been a wide overlap between progressive rock and hard rock, and of course some bands eg Rush, Mostly Autumn straddle it.
I must admit I so tend to prefer the heavier end of progressive rock. Most of Marillion's albums with H tend to be at the heavier end of prog. and of course so are artists like Ayreon and Arena.
 Post Reply Post Reply