Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Innovation vs. Emotion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: What is more important for music?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [32.43%]
25 [67.57%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 22:47
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

It would be really good if the OP could edit his title thread and original post to change Renewing for Innovation, as mentioned before, I believe that's what was actually meant.

It is indeed, didn't need OP to edit.

Well, you are the OP (original poster), so indeed you needed yourself to edit the OP (original post).
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 01:14
This is one instance where I would have preferred a 'both' option. Ying Yang
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 14:07
Innovative definition in Progfreak :

Music which avoids copying the style and ideas of other artists and focuses on creating something unique instead. This is easier said than done, and often music which you identify as being innovative in fact is not, you simply don't (yet) know the artists which were copied from.

I pick Emotion .

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dayvenkirq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 14:15
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

... often music which you identify as being innovative in fact is not, you simply don't (yet) know the artists which were copied from.
Words for every artist / "artist" to remember, I'd say.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 14:20
Innovation is more important for those writing the history of music and emotion is more important for music listening. But I voted the former because that way the score gave 5 votes for the former and 15 votes for the latter. 

And 1/4 innovation + 3/4 emotion seems like a perfect mix.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 21:52

Innovative definition in Progfreak :
<span style="font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18.2px;">
</span>
<span style="font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18.2px;">Music which avoids copying the style and ideas of other artists and focuses on creating something unique instead. This is easier said than done, and often music which you identify as being innovative in fact is not, you simply don't (yet) know the artists which were copied from.</span>

<span style="font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18.2px;">http://progfreak.com/Artists-Albums-Tags-50698.html?path=tags/musical/musical_attributes/innovative
</span>

I pick Emotion .

OK, I think going with this very literal perception of innovation would be a little bit extreme... and it would leave just about every artist/album/song we consider innovative out of the definition. However, you somehow convinced me to vote for emotion now.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2015 at 22:08
Innovation, of course.
Some emotion is always there.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote O666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2015 at 05:14
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I pick Emotion .

OK, I think going with this very literal perception of innovation would be a little bit extreme... and it would leave just about every artist/album/song we consider innovative out of the definition. However, you somehow convinced me to vote for emotion now.

Hi. Honestly You convinced me to pick Emotion by your first post. I like your Point of View about this topic and Agree with you.Thumbs Up
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2018 at 23:54
How do we hear innovation. How do one notice when music is made out of innovative means/methods. Can innovtion be emoted, can emotion be innovative.

Edited by Icarium - July 12 2018 at 23:55
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2018 at 03:12
I'm not convinced that emotion is something inherent in music, as opposed to a subjective - and to an extent culturally programmed - response to it by the listener. The music that makes Fred happy might make Joe sad and have no effect on Matilda. Particularly if Fred is Italian, Joe is Japanese and Matilda is from Arcturus.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 22:39
My emotional reaction to the music is more important to me than their musical innovation.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2018 at 22:57
If music doesn´t wake my emotions, I don´t have no reason to listen it. Most of today´s music just doesn´t do that and that´s the reason why I listen so much older music.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 15:58
Emotion rules over innovation – no emotion, or at least a trip that will keep senses busy (that could also be called an emotional process) = no reason to listen ! 

Innovation isn't essential but is of course this powerful tool to create very special (new kinds of?) emotions related to the unknown (surprises etc – drawn from new trips ?) : so in the meaning that it serves emotion it is completely welcome !
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 16:17
Neither or both.  (to prevent any misunderstanding, I'm saying up front that the following is highly subjective)

The thing with emotion it's only good if it's an emotion you can relate to.  Lot's of emotional stuff out there that is just silly, whiny, or bitchy sounding, or just plain pathetic.  

The thing with innovation is that it's only good if it's worthwhile innovation.  It's not uncommon to hear something brand new and think... well, there's a reason nobody's done that before; it sounds like crap!
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 15:55
I admire innovation in prog
I love emotion in prog
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 16:22
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

I admire innovation in prog
I love emotion in prog

I agree!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 14:01
I hate emotions.
I want to be a robot.
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 16:49
I don't know if I'll be able to answer this in a precise way, but I'll try.
Innovation/progress is a double-edged sword and can be a bad thing, and I'm not talking about music, but in general.
Anyway, back in the 70's punk was really innovative and was deemed "the new thing" and yet it was extremely regressive, almost a primal movement. Some liked it, some not, but you can't say you like "innovation" as a whole unless something's really f'd up with you.
Prog rock has a set of rules, it's not innovative in the sense that it is not a meaningless name that encompases every new musical fad (hip hop, boy bands...).
I don't look for innovation in music, I already chose a genre I love, and I expect that genre to mantain some form of internal coherence.

Emotion is highly subjective. You can elicit emotions with your songs, but you can't make emotional music on purpose.

To make my point clear: since innovation is out of your control (you don't like the new cult that forbids words and worships the mighty axe-wielding mecha dinosaurs, for instance), and emotion is a highly personal and subjective thing and means something different for every one of us, there's only one logical answer to this poll.

Edited by Upbeat Tango Monday - August 13 2018 at 16:51
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 00:15
EMOTION!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2020 at 10:37
Don't understand this poll really. ALL music has emotion. It may not be an emotion that you are aware that exists or that you feel comfortable experiencing but it is impossible not to have an emotional reaction when experiencing any type of music. Innovation needs to be defined better since any time an artist writes a new song but switching a few chords around and adding new lyrics, it could be considered innovation albeit only slight. In short: answers may vary according to music experienced. Some music clearly is ONLY concerned with evoking some sort of emotion whereas some is all about going where no artist has gone before. For me it's ALL good.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12