Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThank you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 14:09
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

And would any of those inspirations evolve from a band called YES? If so.....you wouldn't be under anyone's level. Lol! These albums you take inspiration from.....are they albums recommended to you based off what is considered great by a confused group of people? Are these magic albums or are they leftovers from the late 70's? Here we have P.A......a website designed for appreciation of Prog and who on earth would think it's members would say that King Crimson are not good. They'll stand in front of me and tell me how they saw GOD instead of the 5 members of YES.  If more people would stop separating King Crimson from YES more people would accept the music for what it really is..as opposed to re-examining the difference between the forces of good and the forces of darkness. This is one major problem existing for decades and that sick, demented, repulsive attitude has been in fact re-born and perpetuated on Progarchives for years. It's not music in that case...as it becomes something else. The invisible hand reaching out of the sky to cure everyone's stupid week to week problems. Or? even the pathetic ones like..."My Mom and Dad lied to me about Santa Claus and now I'm pissed off at the world". 

It's just a music site, man.  .....Is it?  and what kind of music would that be? Captain Beyond? Is that music  man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W10qiXqlvo8

Is Captain Beyond music??  HELL YEAH!!  

This is really laughable to me. Imagine playing guitar like a slacker which is basically what I hear on Captain Beyond..and then members on a Prog website consider that good music? To top that off, you've got members on this website who claim that Syd Barrett had no talent and beyond that criticize Rock guitarists like Paul Kossoff , (and many others), yet claim that Captain Beyond is good music?  So now I'm suppose to figure out how a silly world like that makes any sense at all...when in reality it doesn't. The guitar playing on Captain Beyond sounds like "junior talentless" frustrated with the pentatonic scale. I call that shameful. People should be shameful for claiming that what is great is garbage and what is garbage is great. Seriously you've got members on here who claim to appreciate R.I.O.   Are you now going to tell me that the same people who listen to R.I.O. are praising Captain Beyond? Then they have the nerve to outcast certain musicians because they played in Rock bands? Give me a break. This sounds like the attitude of many vendors who set up their stands at Prog gatherings. The ones who get personally offended if someone mispronounces the name of a Prog band...yet they don't have a clue what real talent is and then they try to sell everything on their table by telling you that..."Oh ..SPRING is a great band! Van Der Graff Generator is a great band that never made a bad album or to be more blunt...Prog bands in general never made a bad album?  I mean....does that have anything to do with being honest?  WhY is "IN A GADDA-DA-VIDA" BEING DISCUSSED on a Prog site? That is an album that serious Rock musicians found laughable in the 60's and 70's. Not Prog musicians, but talented Rock musicians.  So in other words, you suck if you played in a mainstream Rock band, but Captain Beyond is good. That's a very silly world to live in.

Each one of us leaving a comment has the power of bringing joy, relief and utter contentment to all those whose opinion(s) / taste(s) is/are similar.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 15:12

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

And would any of those inspirations evolve from a band called YES? If so.....you wouldn't be under anyone's level. Lol! These albums you take inspiration from.....are they albums recommended to you based off what is considered great by a confused group of people? Are these magic albums or are they leftovers from the late 70's? Here we have P.A......a website designed for appreciation of Prog and who on earth would think it's members would say that King Crimson are not good. They'll stand in front of me and tell me how they saw GOD instead of the 5 members of YES.  If more people would stop separating King Crimson from YES more people would accept the music for what it really is..as opposed to re-examining the difference between the forces of good and the forces of darkness. This is one major problem existing for decades and that sick, demented, repulsive attitude has been in fact re-born and perpetuated on Progarchives for years. It's not music in that case...as it becomes something else. The invisible hand reaching out of the sky to cure everyone's stupid week to week problems. Or? even the pathetic ones like..."My Mom and Dad lied to me about Santa Claus and now I'm pissed off at the world". 

It's just a music site, man.  .....Is it?  and what kind of music would that be? Captain Beyond? Is that music  man?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W10qiXqlvo8

Is Captain Beyond music??  HELL YEAH!!  

This is really laughable to me. Imagine playing guitar like a slacker which is basically what I hear on Captain Beyond..and then members on a Prog website consider that good music? To top that off, you've got members on this website who claim that Syd Barrett had no talent and beyond that criticize Rock guitarists like Paul Kossoff , (and many others), yet claim that Captain Beyond is good music?  So now I'm suppose to figure out how a silly world like that makes any sense at all...when in reality it doesn't. The guitar playing on Captain Beyond sounds like "junior talentless" frustrated with the pentatonic scale. I call that shameful. People should be shameful for claiming that what is great is garbage and what is garbage is great. Seriously you've got members on here who claim to appreciate R.I.O.   Are you now going to tell me that the same people who listen to R.I.O. are praising Captain Beyond? Then they have the nerve to outcast certain musicians because they played in Rock bands? Give me a break. This sounds like the attitude of many vendors who set up their stands at Prog gatherings. The ones who get personally offended if someone mispronounces the name of a Prog band...yet they don't have a clue what real talent is and then they try to sell everything on their table by telling you that..."Oh ..SPRING is a great band! Van Der Graff Generator is a great band that never made a bad album or to be more blunt...Prog bands in general never made a bad album?  I mean....does that have anything to do with being honest?  WhY is "IN A GADDA-DA-VIDA" BEING DISCUSSED on a Prog site? That is an album that serious Rock musicians found laughable in the 60's and 70's. Not Prog musicians, but talented Rock musicians.  So in other words, you suck if you played in a mainstream Rock band, but Captain Beyond is good. That's a very silly world to live in.

You may have 'VIP' by your name but everyone (including yourself) has a right to their own view and taste in music.. many people (including myself) have an extremely varied and eclectic taste and should not have to feel that they have to justify their views.. i'm really sorry if others who have different views (musically) to you shake your world view but (seriously) this is just F*****g music not the terrorist, political or environmental destructions which are going on throughout the planet and are something really worth spitting your ire at!! S**T mate get  your head out of your Arse!!Unhappy

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 15:15
You're welcome. Clown

Edited by SteveG - October 17 2015 at 09:29
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 15:22
No, you're welcome Wink

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 15:35
^Right back at ya! Smile
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 18:14
Well good then we will just blend all the moronic music with the good music. I' could make more sense out of bar people
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 18:21
I mean, I'll listen to Thinking Plague and then Captain Beyond in the same night. hahaha
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2015 at 18:52
I listened to Captain Beyond and Henry Cow today, ... help ... me ... please ...
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 09:31

Well good then we will just blend all the moronic music with the good music. I' could make more sense out of bar people
But who is this god that determines good music from bad? How can I pray to him/her/it?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 10:01
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

But who is this god that determines good music from bad? How can I pray to him/her/it?

His name is .... Toddler
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 10:52
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

His name is .... Toddler

Praise be! We're saved! Let our King sing praises!

Edited by SteveG - October 17 2015 at 10:54
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2015 at 14:04

Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

His name is .... Toddler

Praise be! We're saved! Let our King sing praises!

LOL

btw...the fact that Jesus has a Telecaster in that avatar of yours proves time travel is real and that Jesus was an alien.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 13:36
^Yes, a lot of events in the Bible do sound extraterrestrial, if you think about it. LOL
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2015 at 16:11
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

I mean, I'll listen to Thinking Plague and then Captain Beyond in the same night. hahaha

What the hell is wrong with Captain Beyond??  They were very inventive for their era, and Rhino was a fantastic guitarist!  He incorporated unique slide-guitar sounds into the music, during an era when most slide was Alman Brothers blues-style, and they blended psychedelic, blues, classical and a bit of progressive techniques.  

Disclaimer:  I attempted to help the band in their brief comeback period (2001) and came to know them and their management.  They needed more than Rhino and Bobby Caldwell (drummer) and were never able to replace Lee Dorman or Rod Evans.  

RIP Rhino, Lee, and Gary Graber (Rhino's friend and guitarist in "Mad Dancer,", best friend I never met). 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234