Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Magma scheduled to play in Australia March 2016
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMagma scheduled to play in Australia March 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 04:34
So who really is on first tomorrow night?

According to the Thebarton Theatre this afternoon (via a phone call):
"Magma are playing from 8pm,
SUNN O))) are playing from 10pm"

You're welcome!

With doubtless an intermission between the two bands. I may stick around to grab a coffee or soemthing after Magma do their bit, so I can hear what the other band sounds like from a distance...but suspect that's the closest I will choose to get to the sight and sound of the "druids of drone".

Smile
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
AngusH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2016 at 21:09
Perfect! Thanks for checking.
AngusH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2016 at 05:29
What a show! I've never been a huge fan of Theusz Hamtaahk, but it really worked live. MDK and Kobaia were as great as expected. Great to see so many Magma shirts, and the largely Sunn O fan base really seemed to get into it, too.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 03:18
Originally posted by AngusH AngusH wrote:

What a show! I've never been a huge fan of Theusz Hamtaahk, but it really worked live. MDK and Kobaia were as great as expected. Great to see so many Magma shirts, and the largely Sunn O fan base really seemed to get into it, too.

Yes, a great night! I didn't see any Magma shirts on my way into the theatre, just lots of SUNN (((0 shirts and general metal shirts so I wasn't sure what sort of welcome Magma would get. But the Magma part of the show seemed to go down well with everyone there.

I didn't stick around for SUNN (((O, so didn't get to use the earplugs they were handing out in the foyer!

Smile
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
stratcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 05:59
Was a great gig last night.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother and I were there two. - We drove up from Melbourne yesterday and back today.
I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow. 
I was very impressed by their live performance. Great energy from everyone. Christian was top notch as expected. I was also especially impressed by the xylophone player TiBen. 

I hope they come back to Australia. This time to Melbourne as well. 

Large amount of metal fans  around indeed. We stuck around in the foyer prior to Sunn O going on, hoping to get stuff signed but to no avail. More seemed to come after the Magma gig had finished 

Didn't stick around for Sunn O. It sounded very loud and droney from outside. 

Driptray View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 06:00
Absolutely fantastic! Never in my wildest dreams, did I think that I would ever get to see Magma live- anywhere - let alone in Australia! But it actually happened & they were as every bit astonishing live as current live footage and recordings promised them to be.

Absolutely worth the price of our overnight stay in a seedy Adelaide motel and the airfares from Sydney to Adelaide and back the next morning, for my partner and myself. My God! I actually saw MDK performed live!!

Edited by Driptray - March 13 2016 at 06:07
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 06:30
Originally posted by stratcat stratcat wrote:

I was also especially impressed by the xylophone player TiBen.

Yes, that guy never seemed to take a break or at least not when I was looking at him! Obviously he is fitted with the same long-life high-output batteries as Christian.

I found it a bit hard to see what they were doing on stage though - the lighting on stage was kept pretty low.

Originally posted by stratcat stratcat wrote:

Didn't stick around for Sunn O. It sounded very loud and droney from outside.

I dropped by the theatre earlier that day, to photograph the sign outside the theatre for posterity. At that time, what sounded like a loud electrical hum was audible outside, I guessed that was SUNN (((0 doing their soundcheck...

David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 06:57
Originally posted by Driptray Driptray wrote:

Absolutely fantastic! Never in my wildest dreams, did I think that I would ever get to see Magma live- anywhere - let alone in Australia! But it actually happened & they were as every bit astonishing live as current live footage and recordings promised them to be.

My thoughts almost exactly - "Never in my wildest dreams, did I think that I would ever get to see Magma live- anywhere - let alone in Adelaide!"
Big smile
You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw their one and only concert in Australia was going to be in my own home town...

Originally posted by Driptray Driptray wrote:

Absolutely worth the price of our overnight stay in a seedy Adelaide motel and the airfares from Sydney to Adelaide and back the next morning, for my partner and myself. My God! I actually saw MDK performed live!!

It's a pity you had to rush back but lucky I guess the show was on a weekend too, I expect suited a lot of people travelling to Adelaide from interstate...

Oddly enough it's a long weekend here in Adelaide (the Adelaide Cup horse race is on tomorrow) and of course WOMADelaide is on too. The thought occurred to me that sound-wise Magma might have fitted in OK on the WOMADelaide bill, except that their variant of "world music" comes literally from a completely alien world...
stratcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 18:09

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 18:53

Good doing time with you, Harry/Stratcat! Front and center, baby! Well worth the 8 plus hour drive both ways, a true prog road trip, armed with an assortment of Finch, Atomic Rooster, early Floyd, Abraxis, Oresund Space Collective, early Sabbath, early Maiden and Caravan as our soundtrack.

Good to see a bunch of several different prog fans as well, including a really nice guy called Alex who we've encountered at several of our prog/electronic shows!

There was a nice younger fella I spoke to in the front show who literally knew ALL THE WORDS and every single twist and turn their music makes to every piece they played, very impressed (if he's reading, I was the guy with the glasses and the Gong `Camembert Electrique' t-shirt you spoke about `You' to!

Amazing show, and it was nice hearing pretty much the same story from all the proper prog fans in attendance - that they'd all travelled from around Australia for this one experience.

BONUS PIC - Something we got a laugh from on our way to/from Melbourne as well!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 20:19
^ Michael, Harry - you lucky Devils. Nice shots
The Neck Romancer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2016 at 21:12
Awesome! I'm Brazilian and had the chance to see them once (in the Netherlands, actually) and I know how you feel about having the chance to see them live - I was pretty damn sure I'd never manage to fulfill that.

Still need to see them play Theusz Hamtaahk live, though... that marching mantra section right before the guitar/Stella unison solo is pure musical bliss. They said they might come to South America in December so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
AngusH View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 04:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

(if he's reading, I was the guy with the glasses and the Gong `Camembert Electrique' t-shirt you spoke about `You' to!

Nice pics, and I was standing in front of you at one point, just before they let us in, you were immediately behind me and my wife waiting on the stairs to go inside. I thought to myself "I never imagined I'd see a Camembert Electrique t-shirt in my lifetime"... :D

We left right after Magma - I tried Sunn O))) a few times on Spotify and figured I'd rather head back into town for a couple of drinks... ;)

Was definitely impressed by some of the younger folks there who were right into it. I was sitting up in the balcony and was listening to a younger fan talk about Yes, Magma, and a few other prog rock acts before Magma came on.

On another note, was really impressed by Adelaide in general... Lovely little city, glad we spent a couple of days either side of the concert. Although, spent an absolute fortune....
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 04:35
Great photos guys! Thanks for sharing -
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 04:36
^........and I'm stuck on the 70km outskirts of Brissie, wishing I could've made the gig ................
stratcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 07:49
Why didn't you come Tom?
It would have been great.
Haven't seen you in years mate.
Are you coming down for Iron Maiden?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 11:03
^ Going to the big city to catch Maiden here.
Man, I suppose had I gotten off my ass I could've arranged something to get to the Magma gig, there was time, however, things are a bit difficult at the mo'. I do want to make it down south at some stage, maybe record some sh*t with Daniel and see you guys.........
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2016 at 20:31
Originally posted by AngusH AngusH wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

(if he's reading, I was the guy with the glasses and the Gong `Camembert Electrique' t-shirt you spoke about `You' to!

Nice pics, and I was standing in front of you at one point, just before they let us in, you were immediately behind me and my wife waiting on the stairs to go inside. I thought to myself "I never imagined I'd see a Camembert Electrique t-shirt in my lifetime"... :D

We left right after Magma - I tried Sunn O))) a few times on Spotify and figured I'd rather head back into town for a couple of drinks... ;)

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">Was definitely impressed by some of the younger folks there who were right into it. I was sitting up in the balcony and was listening to a younger fan talk about Yes, Magma, and a few other prog rock acts before Magma came on.</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
</span>
On another note, was really impressed by Adelaide in general... Lovely little city, glad we spent a couple of days either side of the concert. Although, spent an absolute fortune....

Ha! You can buy them quite easily from the PlanetGong webstore, I've been buying them for a while, everytime one starts to fade I order another one! I also have a few tie-dye versions as well, probably pretty lucky I didn't wear that one, would have clashed with all the black most of the kids were wearing!

Yeah, my mate Harry/Stratcat and I discovered after the Magma performance there was a nail wedged into one of my rear tyres, so we had to wait outside for the Roadside Service to show up. We heard this rumbling reverberating drone from Sunn inside the venue though!

I wish I'd had more time...I was back at work last night. I was a bit bummed out, I said to my mate that I wished we'd had the time to properly explore and just relax in all the little towns we passed through. We stopped briefly at a few of them, but it was not quite enough time to properly take in all the sights.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 00:58
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Going to the big city to catch Maiden here.
Man, I suppose had I gotten off my ass I could've arranged something to get to the Magma gig, there was time, however, things are a bit difficult at the mo'. I do want to make it down south at some stage, maybe record some sh*t with Daniel and see you guys.........
Does everyone in Australia know each other?  LOL
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2016 at 01:03
Well, there's only a handful of Progheads scattered about. And we're pretty much all from Melbourne !! I escaped
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12