Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Crimson 2015?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: King Crimson 2015?
    Posted: October 19 2015 at 16:08
Hi all.  I just got tickets for this in Vancouver and am wondering if anybody has seen them yet, this year.  I don't know KC all that well, but am curious about seeing some top notch musicians and three (!) drummers in action. What did you think of the concert?

Edited by twalsh - October 19 2015 at 16:09
More heavy prog, please!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2015 at 19:34
Saw them on the last time round in Boston with this line up. Stellar performance and great set list. Have fun, you'll love it.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 16:43
Saw them at st Davids Hall in Cardiff, Wales back in September and it was phenominal.. partly because i never thought i'd see (any version of) the band play live again and also because hearing things like Larks tongue in aspic and Starless just leaves you breathless. My only slight reservation was that (no suprise really...) the drums occasionally drowned out some elements of the overall sound and Fripps guitar was too low in the mix. Highlights included Mel Collins flute and sax work and some of the (apparently) sampled Jamie Muir percussion effects utilized by Pat Mastelotto. Enjoy!! This may not happen again!

Gully Foyle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 20:40
I was at Boston - it was a vicious assault, in the best possible way
twalsh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2015 at 20:46
Nice! I'm getting excited now.

Edited by twalsh - October 20 2015 at 20:47
More heavy prog, please!
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 03:22

I saw the first London show - superb. That is some backing band Mel Collins has! I jest, but his solos were a highlight for me, the man has lost nothing of his fire and invention since the 1972 tour and has perhaps added some guile.

Probably the element I enjoyed most was watching the interplay between the three drummers, who were incredibly adept at not getting in each other’s way, working as a team almost intuitively.  They were clearly having a blast too and kicked up a glorious racket while they were doing it. And hats off to the rocket-powered, properly bombastic, kiss-my-arse-Buddy-Rich drum solo Gavin Harrison unrolled on 21cSM. That had me grinning all over my face. Awesome, really, just to see King Crimson playing that song - and belting it out with a precision and ferocity that could put a lot of metal bands to shame.

None of this is to take away from the unique showmanship of Robert Fripp. When he jumped off the upper stage tier with a scissor kick, skidded to the front on his knees and demanded to know if we were ready to RAWK?? he had us in the palm of his hand.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 21 2015 at 03:24
nickrgx420s View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2015 at 08:55
I saw them live in Utrecht, NL in Europe!
I have to say that it was the most thrilling concert I've ever been to (and I've been to more than 80 in the past 3 years - that's something).
Those guys are just precision machines, especially the drummers were breathtaking! They interact with each other incredibly good and they are synchronized even in their moves.
Mel Collins was... Mel Collins! What can I say for the master of sax?
Same thing about Robert Fripp.
They gave 2-hour-long concert, full of prog. Started a bit temperately for the first 40-45 minutes and then real prog came in!
The only thing that didn't impress me was Jakko Jakszyk's vocals on some tracks, but it doesn't mean he didn't do it well. For example, he did it great in 'Scarcity Of Miracles', which is his song in fact, he definitely nailed it in 'Starless' - I personally find his version better even than the one of John Wetton, but in the early-Crimson tracks (Epitaph, In the Court of the Crimson King etc) he was just not... Greg Lake!
But still... You should be thankful that you are about to see this KC line-up, it's a great show!

Enjoy! Wink
I need to watch things die... From a distance...
fxdregs View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2015 at 09:31
I'm going to the Friday Vancouver show and will be following their set list as they move west across Canada. Seen them once before, the double trio in 95 at the Orpheum. An amazing show. Can't wait for this one.
gravyface View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2015 at 10:25
Saw them in TO on Friday.

Overall, the show was excellent, but way too much drums in the FOH mix: took away from the arrangements more often than not, particularly on Starless' build-up.  Probably could've got away with just Gavin up the middle and a utility guy playing accents and the key/pad parts.

Thought Red was a bit mangled with the three-drummer flam assault vs. a solo pocket beat.  They also got away from Bruford's classic "garbage can lid" cymbal on the change and instead did some jungle thing that sounded a tad lame. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2015 at 11:51

Originally posted by gravyface gravyface wrote:

Saw them in TO on Friday.

Overall, the show was excellent, but way too much drums in the FOH mix: took away from the arrangements more often than not, particularly on Starless' build-up.  Probably could've got away with just Gavin up the middle and a utility guy playing accents and the key/pad parts.

Thought Red was a bit mangled with the three-drummer flam assault vs. a solo pocket beat.  They also got away from Bruford's classic "garbage can lid" cymbal on the change and instead did some jungle thing that sounded a tad lame.

I am not sure that your criticism is right on ... but I can see where your are requesting a bit less, in order to see more, and that you had a preference for the simplicity that Bill Bruford often gave us, as opposed to the over abuncance of drums in the current line up. I did not think that they were always duplicating each other, although adding more to each other is probably what we should be expecting, however, I am not sure that all of us are "musicians" to have the kind of critical knowhow that you displayed. The interpretation of it, is another story.

I, did not find any issues with it. Same thing for me, if they had used 20 violins instead of a melotron ... and you would have said that the melottron is better, and I probably would have liked the orchestrated version even better, as it would have "expanded" the ability and the entent of the music even further. And I always think that doing this to all music is a very good thing ... but sometimes we're so stuck up on our original thoughts that we can not see the music expand ... I like the fact that Robert Fripp has seen to it, that it evolves some, however small that might be for your tastes and mine. And it did make for a thunderous version of King Crimson, that was excellent, and stood out beautifully in concert.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply