Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands like Caligula's Horse and Karnivool

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2017 at 17:23
That Thousand Needles in Red is solid.  I've been following what Clint Boge has been doing post-Butterfly Effect, and everything he's been involved in is good.  Even the acoustic solo EP he released has some good stuff on it.

So the singer from Exit Ten, who had joined I Am Giant, has already left that band.  The guitarist took over as I Am Giant's singer, and the new single with him is, well, okay.  Oh, well.  Here's the new song, in case anyone cares:

I haven't really found much lately that would qualify for this thread, but I'll share what I think is remotely relevant:

I got the new Disperse and Persefone albums Friday, but I'm still digesting those.

Speaking of Disperse, their guitar player Jakub Zytecki released a side project not that long ago that I've been listening to a bit lately.  The album is all over the place style-wise, but it's solid prog metal.  Here's a track from it:

Kadinja put a record out last week, and it's pretty solid.  It's more in the djent metal vein, though, with a mix of screaming and clean vocals.  It's one you'll want to listen to all the way through, because the back half of the track is better than the front half:

Also, Voices From the Fuselage has been getting some play lately.  They feature the former singer of Tesseract, Ashe O'Hara.  It's produced by John Mitchell, who has a ton of prog street cred, if you will.

Oh, and has anyone heard the new Nickelback single?  I know this might seem like a joke, but it's actually not bad.  I never thought there'd EVER be a day in my life when I would type those words, and it not be in jest.  But that day has come.  Maybe it's because I went in with the lowest of expectations, and couldn't be disappointed.  You be the judge:

Let's keep this thing going.

Vats View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2017 at 09:12
Check out Arcane...side project of the main man in Caligula Horse...excellent band!
Moniquebabst View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2017 at 14:21

Hey guys!

Wow its been 3 months since i found this thread. Time really flies.

I've finally worked through the list of bands and i did find a few that made the cut (i.e. become albums i regularly listen to). I tried a lot of bands that seem promising, but after a few hours of investing in them, they didnt stick

I was very enthusiastic in the beginning, but sadly I found less bands than i hoped for. I might be too picky. Sometimes you know within seconds that you really like something or not. Weird how some music just grabs you. But its very rare that I find something

And then some of the bands (about 9), i couldnt find on google play music. If im desperate enough one day il try and get hold of them some other way

So the bands that made the cut are

1.DEADLY CIRCUS FIRE - i dont usually like harsh vocals but they made it work and mixed it really well with stunning melodic vocals. Great find!! Made it to my top band list
2.EXIT TEN
3.MINORA

Then i just downloaded a few bands an hour ago as i did the final listen through my list of over 50 bands. They sounded very promising. So I am excited to give them some proper listening time!

1.QLAYE FACE - big thumbs up
2.FADING HOUR - I feel a bit unsure stil but il give them a chance
3.VOICES FROM THE FUSELAGE. Thanks backtothegarden. I love this lead singers voice!
3.OPUS OF A MACHINE - Nice!!!

And then, as hard as it is to admit, I also downloaded that NICKELBACK song Feed the Machine. You were right backtothegarden. Its actually not bad. I was pleasantly suprised. And I am def not a Nicleback fan at all! How strange.

Ok and now for my recommendations. I somehow stumbled upon 2 bands I can share. I downloaded them, but havent given them proper listening time yet

1.BETWEEN THE BURIED AND ME
2.DEAD SOUL TRIBE - best one of the two

I dont know if any of you have tried the band MONUMENTS (specifically the album The Amanuensis) They are a djent band with a mix of harsh and melodic vocals. Apparently the guitarists from Tesseract and Monuments were in a band called Fell Silent, and after the split they started their own projects. The style of the two guitarist are very differemt though. Monuments has a more groovy sound (if i can put it like that), but i think the songwriting for Tesseract was done better. Monuments' clean vocals has a tiny bit of a punk edge, but not too much that it bothers me (I hate punk rock and can't listen to anything that sounds close to it)

And then last but not least I discovered a band that dont fit in this thread. I was really suprised that i liked them because its not really the type i listen to. Im mentioning them anyway

1.ROYAL BLOOD. They are likened to Arctic Monkeys (who I am not a fan off).

@vats. Yes Arcane is awsum!!! If I had the chance to listen to one more album before i die it would have to be Known/Learned. Never in my life has a song made me cry, except Nightingales Weave. So beautifullly written. The whole album tells a story. I just love everything about it.

I still need to read through the thread deanbob recommended.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=96312

But since i have a lot to listen to now. Il wait a month or 2.

Thanks for this thread!

Apologies if i rambled alot. I dont get to speak about music often.

tbonson04 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 21:38
Some great recs, but I don't think I'll ever be able to get into Nickelback. Their new album is a step in the right direction, but they'll have to do more to make up for past mistakes. 

BTBAM and Dead Soul Tribe are both great bands

Please keep the recs coming. Iv'e found some great stuff through this thread.

Some bands I've found in the past months are:

Advent horizen - Invasion Theorem (if you listen to anything on this post, please listen to these guys)

Rootwork - Zero

Slyde - Divide

Carnival Barker - Dangerous Times

Enamel Animal - War Machine

deandob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 01:15
The new album from Branch Arterial (Melbourne) has just been released and worth a listen. Captures well the Australian modern prog rock/metal sound but still unique.

KrisB View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2017 at 20:21
Been really into Plini for the last year (saw him in Toronto last year) and he's on tour again this year with a couple opening acts I thought I'd check out. One is David Maxim Micic. Talented guitarist and his latest album has really grown on me. http://youtu.be/nv_je8CKqGU
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 22:27
Caligulas horse. New album. In contact
Just got it
Havent listened yet, but i am super stoked! My fav band! To be quite honest. Ive never been so excited about a new album in my life!!
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2017 at 22:29
Leprous also released a new album 3 weeks ago!
Alsojust downloaded it
Port noir is busy recording their new album.
Skyharbour releasing there album soon
This is a good year!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456