Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDC Sound Collective (U.S.) for Crossover Prog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: DC Sound Collective (U.S.) for Crossover Prog
    Posted: October 30 2015 at 11:28
This collaborative album directed by Daniel Crommie and Eldon Hardenbrook features great guitar playing from David Duhig and Colin Henson (from Jade Warrior), and further contributions from Bruce Hazen (350's, Hi-Fi, Iain Matthews) and James Havard. "A Memory of Errors Volume 2" contains further instrumental adventures with additional collaborators Jon Davis Miller, Michael Maldonado, Edward Givens and Rich Turnoy.
released October 13, 2015 

Eldon Hardenbrook: bass, keyboards, drums, vocal. 
Daniel Crommie: vocals, flutes, keyboards, electric dulcimer, drums. 
Bruce Hazen: electric guitar. 
David Duhig: electric guitar. 
Colin Henson: electric guitar. 
James Havard: electric guitar. 

Recorded at Digitalis and engineered by Daniel Crommie except Eldon Hardenbrooks parts which were recorded at Illogical Studio in Monmouth, Oregon, engineer: Eldon Hardenbrook. Colin Henson’s parts recorded at The Loft in Whitstable, UK and engineered by Colin Henson. David Duhig’s parts recorded at home in Glastonbury, UK and engineered by David Duhig. James Havard’s part recorded at Lucky Horseshoe in Bryn Mawr, Wales, engineer: Glyn Havard. 
Mixed by Daniel Crommie and produced by DC Sound Collective. 
Additional material is available at Band Camp on "A Memory of Errors Volume 2".

Edited by O666 - November 02 2015 at 12:15
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 12:34
Hi. Apart from what is my opinion about value or quality of their music , I think they are Progressive Rock band. Perhaps I don't like their music but it's not relevant to their music genre  (be Prog or not) . I mean there are many Prog Rock band that I don't like them BUT they are Prog Rock and this is important in this thread.
Honestly I think they deserve to be in "Chart" and I guess 60%-70% they will accepted in PA (IMO).
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 08:25
Very, very good sound... Kudos + thanks !
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 08:53
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Very, very good sound... Kudos + thanks !
Hi.  I really like to know your opinion about genre of this album. I think You are musician. Is it correct?
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 09:20
Don't you trust teams of collabs who listened to way more albums than me and trained to fit words to music according to what's been defined as genres !?  Several tracks could do in non prog albums, but at least the 5th, 9th and 10th are easy for me to call prog. Crossover prog must be the right genre...

After a last minute edit, here's what I have anyway:

Anything you want=Experimental hard funk
Drifting Away=Electro pop
The Laughing Man=Ethno pop
Molecular= Mellow ambient dub song
Abbrev.=  New wave / RIO / math
Ferguson= Ambient...
In Lucid Moments= Ambient soul
Little Gods= Experim "new age" funk
Paper Trail= New spacey prog
A Memory Suite: including The Passion Flower Bears No Fruit, A Mind Full of Mirrors, Star Gazer, A Night Journey= Ambient with some new prog

I'm no musician by academic standards but remain fond of using music softwares, sometimes writing pieces from beginning to end but also very often working stuff out of jams – maybe I'll "release" something more one day, having felt secure enough to upload pieces, but often resolving to improve some of them later... More on my "homepage" / links from there...

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 09:33
Thanks for your complete reply. I will check your homepage . You connected to music (Playing instruments or use softwares) and its important point. I think you listening to music very carefully and search for more details in music that you listening. I saw this to guys like you and I like it.  
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2015 at 14:02
Sure it helps feel closer to artists when we are experienced ourselves... Do you enjoy music softwares and play instrums ?

Edited by jayem - November 04 2015 at 14:19
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 07:58
Originally posted by jayem jayem wrote:

Sure it helps feel closer to artists when we are experienced ourselves... Do you enjoy music softwares and play instrums ?
Ofcourse. Honestly I played keyboard over 25 years and I "HAD" 2 bands in IRAN!!! The genre that I work isn't legal in Iran. Maybe Legal or Illegal isn't correct words for my situation. Let me explain . Each artists must get (or obtain) License (or Permission) from Music commision of Ministry of Culture. I never tried to get that because I knew they never gave me that license. Believe me its very Hard for me on that era. I have 4 albums (with "Jack Plan" band) and 5 solo albums (I worked with "Peter Komenzind" name in my solo albums). I wrote lyrics in "Farsi" . I had a Poem book that not related to music in "Farsi" and this book published but never Presented in Market (I must get license for my book too and I dont tried for it).
I wasted large money for my fav works (I cant call my works ART. its not fair ) . In 2009 my younger brother died and this impressed me hardly. He was my nearest friend too and after that I never touched my instruments till now. Thanks.
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 10:26
Whatever your brother would think best and would be proud of you to do: share & celebrate music on PA !

I can read arabic and farsi without too much difficulty, but my vocabulary is very basic so online poetry (and online translators) will be an easier way than books.

Peter Komenzind name not far from 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Camenzind

Right now going to read articles on Iran music policy...

Edited by jayem - November 05 2015 at 13:18
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 11:31
I used this spell because I had a meant : Komenzind. I know this spell can't be correct but ...
Very interesting. I really shocked. Can you read Farsi? Its very very good news.
I have my songs "Chords" and "Riffs" and "Lyrics". Perhaps you like them and used them. I worked on "European Minor" melodies in my last album.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2015 at 11:47
I post you a PM Jayem.
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 11:46
Hi. Now they released their second album : "A Memory of Errors Volume 2". I think they deserve to listen by one of the team's members. Perhaps I mistake about their Sub Genre but I think they are "Progressive Rock" band.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2015 at 13:20
There was an earlier album too (a 2013 release called 'Rotation'), so 'A Memory of Errors Volume 2' would really be their third. The collective's first album can be streamed at https://danielcrommie.bandcamp.com/album/rotation, and you can read DPRP's review of it at: http://www.dprp.net/reviews/201467.php#dcsoundcollective. I really wouldn't call this music Crossover Prog tbf - if it belongs on the site (and I believe that it probably does) then I can only imagine it in Eclectic Prog. There is another quite thorough review of the 'Rotation' album on The Progressive Aspect site: http://theprogressiveaspect.net/blog/2014/10/07/dc-sound-collective-rotation/. Read that, and I think you will understand why. 

Any of our highly esteemed collabs want to throw in their two penn'orth regarding this music? Ermm
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2015 at 10:29
After listened to "A Memory of Errors Vol 2" ,I dubt about my suggestion. Its far from Xover Prog in my ears and honestly I don't know what is their sub-gen. Maybe Experimental or something in this kind of stuffs.
Thanks for your recommendations. I must read and listen more to understand them. Thumbs Up
Boe_E View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2016 at 14:25
I think "Eclectic Prog" fits the bill. More importantly, I think it is just really good music
 Post Reply Post Reply