Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed*Recommendation* Unitopia's Artificial

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: *Recommendation* Unitopia's Artificial
    Posted: October 31 2015 at 05:44
Hey guys. A friend of mine recommended this album to me last week. Pretty good stuff!

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 06:09
I got to see the band play live in Melbourne some years ago, what a shame no more than about 30 people turned up for it (considering they are/were Australian!), but it was a great performance!

I have to admit, I'm one of the few that is not a fan of that Beatles-pastiche track on that album, I forget the name, maybe `Nothing Lasts Forever'?

You might be interested in this band and album then, the United Progressive Fraternity - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9133

When Unitopia folded, the band more or less became the UPF, and they put out a very good album last year called `Fall in Love with the World', where they dialed up the world music elements and spiritual lyrics.

Hmmmm, I can't recall off the top of my head if I bought it on CD or vinyl?!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 31 2015 at 06:10
DontPanic2088 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2015 at 14:21
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I got to see the band play live in Melbourne some years ago, what a shame no more than about 30 people turned up for it (considering they are/were Australian!), but it was a great performance!

I have to admit, I'm one of the few that is not a fan of that Beatles-pastiche track on that album, I forget the name, maybe `Nothing Lasts Forever'?

You might be interested in this band and album then, the United Progressive Fraternity - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=9133

When Unitopia folded, the band more or less became the UPF, and they put out a very good album last year called `Fall in Love with the World', where they dialed up the world music elements and spiritual lyrics.

Hmmmm, I can't recall off the top of my head if I bought it on CD or vinyl?!

Instantly loved their music!
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2015 at 09:06
I loved a few tracks off of United Progressive Fraternity's album.  "Choices", "Intersection", and "Traveling Man" are all great songs.  The rest of the record was so-so.

My understanding of the story is that the keyboard player from Unitopia had a falling out with the singer, so Unitopia broke up.  United Progressive Fraternity is all the other members from Unitopia with a new keyboard player.  

Where it gets interesting is that the ex-keyboard player claims to have written the three songs which I think are the best on the album, and was not credited.  He wrote a letter to Prog magazine, which they posted, that was a response to an article Prog Magazine wrote about UPF.  He had some choice words for his former bandmates, the singer in particular.

This is why I'm curious to hear some new material from UPF down the line.  If it's not good, perhaps there might be some truth to the claims the ex-keyboard player was making.
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2015 at 10:31

That's because it's contrived and not good. Unitopia is one of those bands with all the talent, but come off as not connecting with their own music. There's something almost cheesy about much of it. I mean, I listen to them often. I've listened to Tesla on repeat for hours before. And their Genesis mashup is actually really well done. I just find myself cringing a lot when listening to an album from start to finish.

Edited by POTA - November 03 2015 at 10:31
backtothegarden View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2015 at 13:44
Originally posted by POTA POTA wrote:

That's because it's contrived and not good. Unitopia is one of those bands with all the talent, but come off as not connecting with their own music. There's something almost cheesy about much of it. I mean, I listen to them often. I've listened to Tesla on repeat for hours before. And their Genesis mashup is actually really well done. I just find myself cringing a lot when listening to an album from start to finish.

^This, for sure.  Except for the Tesla on repeat part.  I can't do that with any song.  :)

They are hit or miss, both Unitopia and UPF.  UPF's album is half prog greatness, half "don't need to hear that ever again".

I kind of like "Nothing Lasts Forever", though the reprise "The Great Reward" I think is a better track.  It is campy, no doubt, but I find myself singing along to it.  However, a song like "Don't Look Back - Turn Left" off the UPF album is not the good kind of campy to me, and it's not my thing.
GuyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2015 at 06:56
United Progressive Fraternity is all the other members from Unitopia with a new keyboard player.  

Not quite that si
mple! Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply